• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Liam_88

Liam_88
  • Forum User
  • 60 posts
  • Liam
  • Mansfield

With the increase in STs being stolen maybe we could have a separate section where owners or friends of owners can post if there car gets stolen.

Could also have a post title template of reg, area, description?

Just a suggestion as it would then keep other areas (such as general mk7) clear of this and also highlight cars which are MIA.

• TMC, Azeem and nn86 like this

Cojack

Cojack
  • Forum User
  • 1670 posts
  • South Central

I like this idea.

Trying to think of any drawbacks to it but can't seem to find any.

Jonny

Jonny
  • Forum User
  • 2570 posts

I'm liking this.

It's a sorry state of affairs that we have to consider having a separate 'Stolen' section. It really shouldn't be this much of a common occurrence.

Satch

Satch
  • Forum User
  • 2780 posts
  • West Yorkshire
Well let's maybe put it into perspective a bit there isn't an increase in car thefts in fact the national statistics show a 2% fall compared to last year.

I wouldn't say there is an increase in ST thefts either nationally (could be to a local geographical area though, Essex for example seems always rife for spoiler theft) although that's more opinion than factual. Sad fact is there will always be a steady albeit small stream of thefts whether its a Focus or a Fiesta. There is however an increase in luxury (Jags/Range Rovers etc) car theft that use keyless systems particularly in the London area as the cars end up straight in a container and shipped off abroad.

In terms of draws back well it could be argued such a section increases a fear of crime but it could also be used to educated against theft to encourage prevention/deter. Diskloks/House security for example. Ultimately its just a piece of insured metal and whilst its never nice some car thieves are very determined.

If such a section is created I would encourage guidance for posting. Such posts must include crime number, local police force and a picture and a description (vehicle reg, any distinguishing features). No doubt bumpers, skirts and spoilers also to be included in the theft area.

My only worry is the forum becomes on of those forums with too many sections, has to be line? I think it probably could be kept in General MK6/MK7 sections. Maybe a sticky post would be a better alternative but with instructions for chit chat to be kept out unless relevant.

One for the admins to discuss! :-)

Rich

Rich
  • Club Member
  • 3313 posts
  • Rich
  • Louth, Lincolnshire

It's a sorry state of affairs that we have to consider having a separate 'Stolen' section. It really shouldn't be this much of a common occurrence.

The main reason why we have never had one on any of the sites is precisely this. It really is NOT a common occurrence and we have traditionally felt that having such a section promotes the notion that it is.

elwyn

elwyn
  • Forum User
  • 992 posts
  • Elwyn
  • Basildon

Sounds like a good idea but my view would be that most are stolen and most likely in a container heading out of the country before the Police even know. I know most will want their car but those stealing these are not just out for a joy ride, they are most likely stolen to order and part of a much bigger gang. I would hate to have mine stolen but would accept I'm never getting it back once it's gone.

Allan

Allan
  • Club Member
  • 2619 posts
  • Scottish Borders

IMO having a dedicated stolen section adds an unnecessary negative feature to the site. Yes, by all means feel free to post topics in the general sections. But i don't think we need a dedicated area. 

• Satch likes this

Butch80

Butch80
  • Banned
  • 728 posts
  • STturbo
  • essex.

bad idea as not everyone is a member and would reduce awareness!

Liam_88

Liam_88
  • Forum User
  • 60 posts
  • Liam
  • Mansfield

IMO having a dedicated stolen section adds an unnecessary negative feature to the site. Yes, by all means feel free to post topics in the general sections. But i don't think we need a dedicated area. 

And having several stolen threads in general discussion sections has no negative effect?

AMc

AMc

'Mk7 Noob'

• Club Staff
  • 23015 posts

And having several stolen threads in general discussion sections has no negative effect?

Far less of a negative image than having a dedicated separate section for it, yes.

Let's face it, it's not like it would be used anyway, people would still just post in Mk7 Discussion :lmao:

• Allan, Josh, Derek and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users