the grand tour season 2 tgt tgt2

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

AMc

AMc

'Mk7 Noob'

• Club Staff
  • 23175 posts

Who else is looking forward to season 2 then?  Starts 8th December.

Oh, and some 'good news!' - http://www.grandtour...n-2-grand-tour/

• D4MOST likes this

Chrissyelse88

Chrissyelse88
  • Club Member
  • 699 posts
Yes can't wait I come back off holiday the day before so perfect timing. Happy about the American that and the killing of celebrities was the only downsides really. I think the next 2 seasons will be brill obviously first season they tried things to see how the audience felt and these didn't so bring it on looking forward to it.

Bumgrape

Bumgrape
  • Forum User
  • 1238 posts

Yeah really looking forward to it.  It could be hit and miss, but in general I just find it an entertaining show - pop your brain out and just enjoy what it is.

Happy about the American that and the killing of celebrities was the only downsides really.

Agree about the American, don't think I've met anyone who thought that was a good choice, I'd also prefer it if they found a better track, that one is pretty uninspiring.

The celebrity killing thing was hilarious in the first episode when it wasn't expected, but then became tired extremely quickly.  I think the only other one I liked was Daniel Ricciardo who got splatted across the window by the hovercraft.

behappy

behappy
  • Forum User
  • 631 posts
I was underwhelmed with the first series to the point I never watched any episode a second time.

AE3

AE3
  • Forum User
  • 527 posts

I was underwhelmed with the first series to the point I never watched any episode a second time.

same. i feel like they need the restraint of something (like the bbc) so they have boundaries to push. i'll still watch it since i ditched the tv license  :biggrin:

AMc

AMc

'Mk7 Noob'

• Club Staff
  • 23175 posts

same. i feel like they need the restraint of something (like the bbc) so they have boundaries to push. i'll still watch it since i ditched the tv license  :biggrin:

You don't watch anything from the BBC anymore then, not even the new Top Gear?

BLiTZ

BLiTZ
  • Club Member
  • 1240 posts
  • Ed
  • Selby

Can't wait! I recently re-watched season 1 and it did have its moments, though it did feel like it was lacking content and variety at times. Some episodes spun out a feature for the full length without really being all that entertaining, and others felt too crammed. It felt like a mix between the early seasons of 'New' Top Gear and some of the later episodes of the same, where you felt they'd done all they could do and had ran out of ideas.

I also felt like some of the 'challenges' went too smoothly and that the 'issues' (queue a dog eating Jeremy's Meat Rover) had to be forced to make it more entertaining. Old TG challenges where things went wrong of their own accord were far more satisfying. The £100 Car Challenge from years ago (Rover 416 GTi, Audi 80 and Jeremy's £1 Volvo 740) is still a great watch today because you got the impression that everything that happened, happened for real, plus the banter made it funny "It's a ROVER!". Likewise, the cheap supercars, cheap Porsches, Vans, Trucks, basically challenges where the vehicles were crap but that was the point. Closest TGT gave us was the Maserati challenge but that got a bit silly at the end with Hammond tear arseing around a container yard and Jeremy 'losing' his car.

The car reviews were better though seemed too short. I also miss the silly reviews, The MK7 Fiesta landing craft/shopping centre car chase and room in the boot of a Renault Twingo for Ross Kemp again are well written (subtly digging at the more nostalgic 'Old' Top Gear and Fifth Gear style of reviews) and so off the wall that they have you wondering what's next. "Is it green? No, it's red!".

That aside, the fact that they're not going to be touring this time round can only be a good thing as it means we won’t have to sit through the forced topical banter and staged fights. The silly stuff can stay (Hammond in the bumper of a TT and TGT Xmas apparel etc.) as it lightens the tone and fits with the Last of the Summer Wine untertone to the trio.

After Boycotting Evan's TG after the first episode, I gave it a second chance with the new trio and it made a big difference and I found it enjoyable, and (I hate to say it) at times much better than TGT!

AE3

AE3
  • Forum User
  • 527 posts

You don't watch anything from the BBC anymore then, not even the new Top Gear?

nope. i decided theres nothing on bbc that i couldnt live without anymore. new TG is or was pants, ditched f1, not a fan of eastenders

• _jimmy_ likes this

Bumgrape

Bumgrape
  • Forum User
  • 1238 posts

Old TG challenges where things went wrong of their own accord were far more satisfying. 

I wouldn't be surprised if most of it wasn't actually scripted, but I do think they were better at 'acting' it out years ago.  The last few years it started to get quite stilted, even the last couple of series of their Top Gear were looking contrived which is why I actually welcomed the change to shake things up.

AMc

AMc

'Mk7 Noob'

• Club Staff
  • 23175 posts

Tomorrow is the day people :biggrin:

• BLiTZ likes this

D4MOST

D4MOST
  • Forum User
  • 253 posts
  • Damien
  • Preston, Lancs

They have an episode where it's unscripted, so I'm hoping that's pretty funny and entertaining. Love the trio, but get a bit like meh when it's blatantly fake haha. Glad the American's not in!

Tim

Tim
  • Club Member
  • 1626 posts
  • Tim
  • Essex

I'm looking forward to this season. And my internet goes to Fibre in a week so no more buffering like last season lol.

_jimmy_

_jimmy_
  • Club Member
  • 1919 posts

And my internet goes to Fibre in a week so no more buffering like last season lol.

I doubt I'll be able to watch this series, the internet speed where I've moved to is abysmal

behappy

behappy
  • Forum User
  • 631 posts
I really enjoyed it, like watching top gear from years ago. Lots of banter, nice cars and no stupid American or dead guests
  • AMc and stevep44 like this

elwyn

elwyn
  • Forum User
  • 992 posts
  • Elwyn
  • Basildon
Yeah was Good! The lambo in the tunnel though :wub:
  • dhindley likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: the grand tour, season 2, tgt, tgt2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users