Fuel Tank

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Thermione

Thermione
  • Forum User
  • 2 posts
Help!
I bought an st150 two weeks ago slight exhaust rattle the a small knock.
Got out after 20 mile drive today in clouds of petrol vapour. Exhaust seems to have melted a hole in the fuel tank spilling several litres onto warm exhaust.
I have now calmed down. Big panic at first.
Anyone seen this before?
Where do I get a new tank
Should there be heat shield between exhaust and tank.
How did it not ignite.

###simon###

###simon###
  • Club Member
  • 2393 posts
  • Bishops Cleeve
Your missing the rear heat shield, I think it nearly happened to someone else on here. Probably find the tank is the same on all mk6s so there should be plenty knocking around in scrap yards.

While your out get yourself to the shops and buy yourself a lottery ticket while your lucks in because that could of been so much worse than it was.
  • _jimmy_ and Thermione like this

_jimmy_

_jimmy_
  • Club Member
  • 1864 posts

Holy :censored: that's definitely not something you want to happen.

The heat shields come loose around the mounting points, so maybe someone took it off to stop it rattling prior to sale rather than fixing it properly. Did you buy privately?

As above you'll be able to get one from a breakers, just a case of finding one nearby.

It does appear to be the same tank as a generic mk6, however the fuel pump unit which is inside the tank is possibly specific to the ST (I'm not sure)

Here's one: https://www.ebay.co....tm/392148542397

another: https://www.ebay.co....tm/232932274559

• Thermione likes this

Thermione

Thermione
  • Forum User
  • 2 posts
Thank you. I will probably be able to change the tank myself. It looks fairly accessible. I know the straps may well be rusty so I'll replace them too. I will need to get a heat shield as it is only shielded to a point about 30cm in front of this. I haven't had a fiesta since a mark 3 about 20 years ago. I can do most jobs but I'm having trouble locating the right tank as I've only just bought the car. I think it is a standard tank and I intend to keep all the pump and auxiliary bits the same. I bought it off a small back street dealer and I think it was ok when I got it. They probably didn't know as I've done about 300 miles in it and the exhaust has caused the damage. The movement of the exhaust and the heat has been the problem. I will replace all exhaust brackets as well to ensure it is safe. Yes it was a very scary experience until the exhaust cooled. In fact there was so much fuel that it cooled the exhaust quite quickly but I am old enough to know that you do not stand around when there is a cloud of fuel vapour rising. Thank you for the links. T

Winston

Winston
  • Forum User
  • 1 posts
Hi guys! I've just recently purchased an st 500.it appears to have no heatshield between the fuel tank and exhaust. Can anybody point me in the right direction for one please. It's actually just started to melt the plastic fuel tank 🙈 .....many thanks 🤘🏼

###simon###

###simon###
  • Club Member
  • 2393 posts
  • Bishops Cleeve

Attached File  C0378C97-5DA2-4CFA-AC97-D1B1AABE9CB7.png   454.82KB   1 downloadsI replaced mine with units I bought from eBay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users