Fiesta ST Forums banner

Anyone toying with the idea of a Tesla 3?

3K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  Cat Power 
#1 ·
Looking at the specs I am seriously thinking of going "electric" with Tesla. Anyone else?

#9 ·
We run a fleet of ev company cars at work, the boss is running a Tesla x with all the toys and the office staff running the Hyundai ionic ev (**** ugly car). The Hyundai only comes under the base Tesla 3 by around 6-7 k which may seem a lot but by the time you add the increased range of the Tesla 3 and there charging network it starts to make sense. The lads running the Hyundai have to use one of the hybrids we have or one of the work vans if they need to do a journey of any kind of decent length as there’s only getting 110 or so miles to a full charge.

#14 ·
Yeah its about 55K but you of course you don't buy petrol but you do buy electric which (from various sources) works out at about 1/6th of the cost of buying petrol. So over say 12000 miles a year based on a petrol car doing say 35 mpg at say £1.325 cost per litre you save circa £1720 a year on fuel costs or over say 5 years £8600. So real cost of car comes down to about £46500. Still not cheap but cheap for the performance you get.

#15 ·
Yeah its about 55K but you of course you don't buy petrol but you do buy electric which (from various sources) works out at about 1/6th of the cost of buying petrol. So over say 12000 miles a year based on a petrol car doing say 35 mpg at say £1.325 cost per litre you save circa £1720 a year on fuel costs or over say 5 years £8600. So real cost of car comes down to about £46500. Still not cheap but cheap for the performance you get.
Did you not see the top gear piece on the model 3, it's pitched against the m3.

#17 ·
The performance model is the top Tesla 3. It has 2 motors (so 4 wheel drive) and a 0 - 60 time of approx 3.4 secs. Sounds quick enough.
@Fast H I think he's thinking more along the lines of the Model S P100d :wink:
Well put it another way I was going to buy the original Roadster when it came out (the original exchange rate worked out to around £65K) but as seems to happen by the time it arrived on these shores the price was nearly 50% higher

:cry: That had a range over 200 miles and a 0-60 of around 3.7 seconds.... even now 8 year old examples with over 100k miles are still capable of around 150 miles on a charge.....

Times have moved on now though and 0-60 in 3.7 is not that impressive so yes Jase is right I am thinking more*...... much much more :laughing:

* though if I do see an original going at the right price I will buy it!

#20 ·
How'd you work that out?

You can't deduct from the price, as you're still spending out on electricity, so it would cost £55k plus the electric cost.

A petrol car might cost less to purchase, but more to run...which is what you're trying to put across?

#21 ·
Petrol 12000 miles at circa 35 mpg at £1.325 a litre = £2065. Electric costs over same 12000 miles circa 1/6th the cost of petrol = £344. £2065 - £344 = £1721

Petrol costs over 5 years £2065 x 5 = £10325 Electric costs over 5 years £344 x 5 = £1720. £10325 - £1720 = £8605.

Still think the Lotus Evija is a better option. :nice:

Come on Lotto. :yep:
Not for the wife it isn't!

#25 ·
I love how Tesla have changed the EV from something that looked like an upturned wheelbarrow into a properly classy looking car :laughing:

I like the idea of EV but give me hot hybrids first while we see what the rate of EV charging infrastructure development is like. Currently I'm a good candidate for EV but if my commute situation changed I'd probably have to go back. I imagine it would feel very tragic to move back to ICE after making the change to EV so I'm reluctant to make the change until it really makes complete sense for most situations.

As of now, there's no way I could (for example) take £30k to a VW dealership and walk out with an E-Golf over a Golf R.

#26 ·
Can never see me in a EV unless I'm forced to e.g tax and petrol becomes to expensive I can see it going that way tbh. I appreciate the engineering that goes into ev cars and the tesla 3 is a nice looking car and I know they are stupid fast but they just don't excite me so it's a no from me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.