MOT Extended by 6 Months due to COVID-19 - General Topic Discussion - Fiesta ST Owners Club

MOT Extended by 6 Months due to COVID-19

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Darran

Darran
  • Club Member
  • 1697 posts

https://www.gov.uk/g...m-30-march-2020

antl76

antl76
  • Club Member
  • 1059 posts
  • Anthony
  • Havant, Hampshire
Mine expires on the 30th March where I could take advantage of this 6 month extension but Im booked in for mine tomorrow and will be taking it there and dropping it off for it to be done.

Darran

Darran
  • Club Member
  • 1697 posts

Mine expires on the 30th March where I could take advantage of this 6 month extension but Im booked in for mine tomorrow and will be taking it there and dropping it off for it to be done.

:facepalm:

jase_llan

jase_llan
  • Club Member
  • 1017 posts
@Darran my daily Micra's MOT was due 5th April but had it done last week... At least it passed!
  • ST3spin likes this

Darran

Darran
  • Club Member
  • 1697 posts

@Darran my daily Micra's MOT was due 5th April but had it done last week... At least it passed!

Congrats but what's that got to do with today's gov.uk release about extending MOT's to try and help prevent spread of the virus lol.

• ST3spin likes this

MickyD

MickyD

"Race Red Owner"

• Club Member
  • 5249 posts

Congrats but what's that got to do with today's gov.uk release about extending MOT's to try and help prevent spread of the virus lol.

???

In other words if he had not got it done 3 weeks early he could have gained from this loophole.... but he lost out getting it done early and his only good news is that it did pass its MOT......

Or at least that’s how I read that statement
  • jase_llan and ST-FRD like this

Darran

Darran
  • Club Member
  • 1697 posts

???

In other words if he had not got it done 3 weeks early he could have gained from this loophole.... but he lost out getting it done early and his only good news is that it did pass its MOT......

Or at least that’s how I read that statement

This MOT extension only came out today so Jase obviously didn't know about it last week, Ant on the other hand does know about it but is still having his MOT done.

Problem is Boris and his advisors are ASKING, it seems for the majority to understand that websites statement should read " If your vehicles MOT due date is on or after 30th March and you take it to an MOT station your vehicle with be confiscated, crushed and you will receive a £2000 fine.

Many are just carrying on as normal and just don't seem to give a :censored:.

• ST3spin likes this

antl76

antl76
  • Club Member
  • 1059 posts
  • Anthony
  • Havant, Hampshire

This MOT extension only came out today so Jase obviously didn't know about it last week, Ant on the other hand does know about it but is still having his MOT done.

Problem is Boris and his advisors are ASKING, it seems for the majority to understand that websites statement should read " If your vehicles MOT due date is on or after 30th March and you take it to an MOT station your vehicle with be confiscated, crushed and you will receive a £2000 fine.

Many are just carrying on as normal and just don't seem to give a :censored:.

Dont worry yourself, Im now not getting it done! 👍🏻

jase_llan

jase_llan
  • Club Member
  • 1017 posts
@Darran as Micky said, it just shows getting your MOT done as soon as you can retain the anniversary isn't always the best idea I suppose - the car could have been okay until October had I waited until this week to book it in!

Fortunately it didn't cost much (~£10) to get prepared for its MOT, and my ST is now okay until the end of November thanks to the extension.

Having been out on the road today for some essentials (rural area), I can say that the roads aren't particularly quiet but at the same time you notice the delivery vans a lot more!

Darran

Darran
  • Club Member
  • 1697 posts

@Darran as Micky said, it just shows getting your MOT done as soon as you can retain the anniversary isn't always the best idea I suppose - the car could have been okay until October had I waited until this week to book it in!

Fortunately it didn't cost much (~£10) to get prepared for its MOT, and my ST is now okay until the end of November thanks to the extension.

Having been out on the road today for some essentials (rural area), I can say that the roads aren't particularly quiet but at the same time you notice the delivery vans a lot more!

Nice Jase.

After fitting a Piper Magnum 285 cam and twin 40 Dellorto's to my Ford Sierra, I remember the relief when it passed it's MOT, that was in 1989.

jase_llan

jase_llan
  • Club Member
  • 1017 posts
@Darran just get yourself a MK6 if you want to replicate the experience, mine (MP165) barely scrapes through the emissions part of the MOT.

Jonny

Jonny
  • Club Member
  • 2556 posts

I gotta be honest.. I'm really not sure why people are seeing this as a 'loophole.' An MOT is simply a check that your car is in a road worthy condition (which it should be anyway) and therefore delaying it by 6 months doesn't' really put anyone at any kind of advantage in any way. I guess you could argue that you'd save 50% of the MOT cost as you are now getting 18 months out of your previous MOT, but they aren't expensive anyway.

This will only benefit those who own a car that is likely to fail its MOT as it means they can put off repairs for another 6 months. But in that case, the car shouldn't be on the road anyway.  :whistle:

• AMc and invisible1955 like this

AMc

AMc

'Mk7 Noob'

• Club Staff
  • 22932 posts

I gotta be honest.. I'm really not sure why people are seeing this as a 'loophole.' An MOT is simply a check that your car is in a road worthy condition (which it should be anyway) and therefore delaying it by 6 months doesn't' really put anyone at any kind of advantage in any way. I guess you could argue that you'd save 50% of the MOT cost as you are now getting 18 months out of your previous MOT, but they aren't expensive anyway.

This will only benefit those who own a car that is likely to fail its MOT as it means they can put off repairs for another 6 months. But in that case, the car shouldn't be on the road anyway.  :whistle:

I tried to explain this to someone else the other day, they were confused and thought insurance policies were all going to be void as people would "have no MOT".

:facepalm:
  • Jonny likes this

MickyD

MickyD

"Race Red Owner"

• Club Member
  • 5249 posts

Thats exactly it, many Mk7 ST's (as well as obviously other cars) are in that bracket at around 4 year old of being perfectly serviceable and capable of flying through an MOT but you still have to legally have one at a maximum cost of £55 for a car...

Basically if you know your car will sail through I see no harm in extending and thus saving £27 to spend on toilet roll and hand soap.... I wouldn't complain if someone gave me a few tenners in my hand for doing nothing :laughing:  some of us don't sell our souls to the internet advertisers to draw in the cash so have to make to with money where we can get it hey Jaff2212  Jonny  :whistle:  :laughing:

Do agree though that old cars that owners know will fail should not be allowed to extend though, It :censored: me off the number of cars I see with faulty lights even sometimes driving in the dead of night with a single sidelight and fogs!  :rant:

• Jonny and invisible1955 like this

Jonny

Jonny
  • Club Member
  • 2556 posts

Thats exactly it, many Mk7 ST's (as well as obviously other cars) are in that bracket at around 4 year old of being perfectly serviceable and capable of flying through an MOT but you still have to legally have one at a maximum cost of £55 for a car...

Basically if you know your car will sail through I see no harm in extending and thus saving £27 to spend on toilet roll and hand soap.... I wouldn't complain if someone gave me a few tenners in my hand for doing nothing :laughing:  some of us don't sell our souls to the internet advertisers to draw in the cash so have to make to with money where we can get it hey Jaff2212  Jonny  :whistle:  :laughing:

Do agree though that old cars that owners know will fail should not be allowed to extend though, It :censored: me off the number of cars I see with faulty lights even sometimes driving in the dead of night with a single sidelight and fogs!  :rant:

There's always one negative nancy :nice: I've not made a penny from my channel yet as the cost of running it far outweighs any income. Mainly because cars are expensive, cameras are expensive and PC's are expensive too so I was kinda on to a losing streak from the start. Surprisingly, that isn't the reason I started it.

I had a fair bit of spare time outside of my "proper" job, a whole load of knowledge of Fiestas and an interest in learning how to edit videos to a decent standard, and that is how JB CTR came to life.

Anyway, I digress - glad we are in agreement that the extension of the MOT is not exactly a loophole :lol:

• AMc, MickyD and PPHFiestaST like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users