Oil consumption 69 Plate car

Mk8 Mk8st Oil Oil leak Mpg Fiesta Ford Fiesta st

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Aaronfinlay

Aaronfinlay
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts
Had the oil changed on my mk8 ST around 5200 miles, car is now on 6300 miles so 1100 miles since it was changed and the oil has went down 2 holes from the top of the dipstick. Anyone else using this much oil?

Car is a 69 plate registered in October 2019, built around September time.

I heard engines made before February 2019 had problems with oil leaks around the timing chain area.

Jason70

Jason70
  • Club Member
  • 438 posts
  • Jason
  • Kent

Had the oil changed on my mk8 ST around 5200 miles, car is now on 6300 miles so 1100 miles since it was changed and the oil has went down 2 holes from the top of the dipstick. Anyone else using this much oil?

Car is a 69 plate registered in October 2019, built around September time.

I heard engines made before February 2019 had problems with oil leaks around the timing chain area.

Did you check the dipstick level after the oil change? Perhaps best to top it up now and keep an eye on it, or for peace of mind get the engine checked over by your dealer for any leaks. I have heard of leaks on early and late engines as well.

• Defender likes this

StiggyTheST

StiggyTheST
  • Club Member
  • 926 posts
Did you check the dipstick after the oil change?

Otherwise I'd get it checked by a Ford dealer as my car doesn't use any oil on a 19 plate.
  • Aaronfinlay likes this

Aaronfinlay

Aaronfinlay
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts
Yes checked dipstick after the oil was changed and it was on the max mark. From what i can see at the top of the engine there doesnt seem to be any leaks around the timing chain cover

Liner33

Liner33
  • Forum User
  • 115 posts
  • Richard
  • Berkshire
As Jason said , just keep an eye on it , oil use is to be expected on low mileage engines and that doesnt sound excessive

Thepowerfulpotato

Thepowerfulpotato
  • Forum User
  • 244 posts
Also make certain you're checking on level ground. I've been caught out servicing our VAG group engined forklifts on what I thought was level ground but it turned out it wasn't. Almost every piece of industrial ground is sloped for drainage.
  • Defender likes this

kenthammer

kenthammer
  • Club Member
  • 774 posts

If it is a leak, then most of the oil is on the back of the engine and you need to get the undertray off to inspect this area.

Fox1429

Fox1429
  • Forum User
  • 43 posts
Ive got a Oct 2019 built ST3 and no oil usage apparently to now (only 2400 miles though) just for reference.

Hope you get it sorted.

Aaronfinlay

Aaronfinlay
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts

If it is a leak, then most of the oil is on the back of the engine and you need to get the undertray off to inspect this area.

My car doesnt fall into the bracket of the oil leak engines but ill pull the under cover off just incase, from the top of the engine looking down everything seems fine

Aaronfinlay

Aaronfinlay
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts

Ive got a Oct 2019 built ST3 and no oil usage apparently to now (only 2400 miles though) just for reference.

Hope you get it sorted.

I had done 5200 miles and my oil was alright. Maybe it was under filled slighty? I checked the dipstick when it was done and it was max. Ive heard its normal for turbo cars to go through a little bit of oil

Gedi

Gedi
  • Club Member
  • 193 posts
  • Mark
  • County Durham

There's a vast majority of cars now burn oil, i know that most VAG burn quit a lot of oil and need to top up in between services, they use Long Life oil.

Been checking mine now and again and it's been fine, mine is a July 2019 with 2200 miles

Aaronfinlay

Aaronfinlay
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts
Just topped the oil up there, will keep an eye on it over the next few weeks and will update from then onwards!
  • KenL likes this

Garvin

Garvin
  • Forum User
  • 25 posts

ST had its first annual service just over a month ago (registered 1st March 2019) and at just under 10k miles. Oil level inspected weekly and over that first year it used absolutely no oil whatsoever and has no leaks.

• KenL likes this

AMc

AMc

'Mk7 Noob'

• Club Staff
  • 23071 posts
I wonder if they actually changed the filter and/or equated for the oil they hold...?

Has it gone down any more since?

Aaronfinlay

Aaronfinlay
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts

I wonder if they actually changed the filter and/or equated for the oil they hold...?

Has it gone down any more since?

I watched it get changed so i know it was done right. I always let the car warm up and cool down properly before i give it some. Ill check it in a weeks time and see what its like.

Because of the covid 19 the cars only getting driven once a week to the shops so if it goes down anymore id imagine there must be a leak or if it is burning oil, then its burning a lot on the journey to the shops which is less then 10 miles.

I started the car yesterday after topping the oil up and there was no blue smoke at all, so id imagine it cant be burning oil, no smoke either when higher in the rev range.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk8, Mk8st, Oil, Oil leak, Mpg, Fiesta, Ford, Fiesta st

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users