Oil consumption 69 Plate car - Page 2 - Fiesta ST MK8 Discussion - Fiesta ST Owners Club

Oil consumption 69 Plate car

Mk8 Mk8st Oil Oil leak Mpg Fiesta Ford Fiesta st

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

_jimmy_

_jimmy_
  • Club Member
  • 1890 posts
If its accelerated since the oil change, maybe it could be something like a slow drip from the sump plug or filter.

To rule out a sloping drive giving a false reading you could check it with the car facing both ways just as a double check.

Thepowerfulpotato

Thepowerfulpotato
  • Forum User
  • 244 posts
About the lack of smoke. I don't know if it'll be exactly the same with a petrol particulate filter or even if this applies to automotive engines, but I've seen a deutz industrial engine burn about 4L of oil a week with no noticeable smoke because of the DPF. So I'd be careful about saying it's not burning oil because there's no smoke because of the PPF. Please correct me if I'm talking out my bottom as I've only worked on industrial gear.
  • DarrenST likes this

Aaronfinlay

Aaronfinlay
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts

About the lack of smoke. I don't know if it'll be exactly the same with a petrol particulate filter or even if this applies to automotive engines, but I've seen a deutz industrial engine burn about 4L of oil a week with no noticeable smoke because of the DPF. So I'd be careful about saying it's not burning oil because there's no smoke because of the PPF. Please correct me if I'm talking out my bottom as I've only worked on industrial gear.

Car has a gpf delete on so if thats the case it should be more noticeable

DarrenST

DarrenST
  • Club Member
  • 429 posts

Good info regards PPF

Liner33

Liner33
  • Forum User
  • 115 posts
  • Richard
  • Berkshire
So you said in the OP it was two holes on the dipstick but when you topped it up how much in millilitres are we talking about ?

Aaronfinlay

Aaronfinlay
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts

So you said in the OP it was two holes on the dipstick but when you topped it up how much in millilitres are we talking about ?

A little over 200ml

MickyD

MickyD

"Race Red Owner"

• Club Member
  • 5905 posts

So I checked mine and it was two holes off the bottom, rechecked about 4 times to get the most accurate read and it was constant 1-2 holes off minimum.

Though not a concern I did a quick calculation and according to Ford literature min to max is approx 900 ml  which would mean at 1 or 2 dots above minimum I would require to add approx 540 to 720 ml of oil so jumped on Amazon and ordered a litre of Castrol's finest for just over a tenner.

When it arrived I gave a quick splurge (approx 260ml) only around half of what the manual said should be required then gave it a quick dip check.... To my horror after a check it appears to be over filled with all lights full and oil covering the dip stick much further than these lights. A few dips later (I had to take the oil out somehow and what better way than absorb in on a rag!  :laughing: ) I noted that alough the oil was above the mark in places the dipstick was not covered in oil therefore the oil level was not as high as the stick would have suggested. I confirmed this by fully cleaning the stick and lowering it this time ONLY to the O-Ring seal and checking again.

When checked in this manner the oil was 2 dots down a level that would indicate the oil was filled perfectly at max if the stick had been fully inserted.

Anyway moral of this story is twofold:

Firstly the drop stick on the Mk8 can give a misleading idea of what the oil level actually is so don't panic and try again The design of the stick leads to a lot of pickup on the way down that does not seem to clear the more times you dip (Think it is being dragged up as you remove the stick smearing the stick next time you insert it).

Secondly ignore the literature that make it sound like when you drop a few dots you've lost half your oil, the fact of the matter is it's probably not as bad as it looks and will just need a tiny top up... 260ml of 6100ml is NOT that bad and mine was only just over 1 dot of oil showing with the second occasionally showing!! Hope this puts some minds at rest.  :nice: 

• Custard Tart and Jason70 like this

Jason70

Jason70
  • Club Member
  • 438 posts
  • Jason
  • Kent

So I checked mine and it was two holes off the bottom, rechecked about 4 times to get the most accurate read and it was constant 1-2 holes off minimum.

Though not a concern I did a quick calculation and according to Ford literature min to max is approx 900 ml  which would mean at 1 or 2 dots above minimum I would require to add approx 540 to 720 ml of oil so jumped on Amazon and ordered a litre of Castrol's finest for just over a tenner.

When it arrived I gave a quick splurge (approx 260ml) only around half of what the manual said should be required then gave it a quick dip check.... To my horror after a check it appears to be over filled with all lights full and oil covering the dip stick much further than these lights. A few dips later (I had to take the oil out somehow and what better way than absorb in on a rag!  :laughing: ) I noted that alough the oil was above the mark in places the dipstick was not covered in oil therefore the oil level was not as high as the stick would have suggested. I confirmed this by fully cleaning the stick and lowering it this time ONLY to the O-Ring seal and checking again.

When checked in this manner the oil was 2 dots down a level that would indicate the oil was filled perfectly at max if the stick had been fully inserted.

Anyway moral of this story is twofold:

Firstly the drop stick on the Mk8 can give a misleading idea of what the oil level actually is so don't panic and try again The design of the stick leads to a lot of pickup on the way down that does not seem to clear the more times you dip (Think it is being dragged up as you remove the stick smearing the stick next time you insert it).

Secondly ignore the literature that make it sound like when you drop a few dots you've lost half your oil, the fact of the matter is it's probably not as bad as it looks and will just need a tiny top up... 260ml of 6100ml is NOT that bad and mine was only just over 1 dot of oil showing with the second occasionally showing!! Hope this puts some minds at rest.  :nice: 

My bottle arrived from Amazon yesterday but after reading your post I will hold fire and not top it up yet. My car is going in for a check soon to see if it has any leaks. I wish it had an older style dipstick though with just the minimum and maximum marks on it.

• Custard Tart and MickyD like this

Aaronfinlay

Aaronfinlay
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts

My bottle arrived from Amazon yesterday but after reading your post I will hold fire and not top it up yet. My car is going in for a check soon to see if it has any leaks. I wish it had an older style dipstick though with just the minimum and maximum marks on it.

I checked my car a couple of days ago for leaks in the most common places and I couldnt see any, unfortunately i couldnt get under the car so i just recorded a video on my phone and stuck the flash light on and could see perfectly fine. I topped my oil up and checked it a week later and its been fine so far. Will be checking it again on monday to see if its dropped or not.
  • Custard Tart and Jason70 like this

Jason70

Jason70
  • Club Member
  • 438 posts
  • Jason
  • Kent

I checked my car a couple of days ago for leaks in the most common places and I couldnt see any, unfortunately i couldnt get under the car so i just recorded a video on my phone and stuck the flash light on and could see perfectly fine. I topped my oil up and checked it a week later and its been fine so far. Will be checking it again on monday to see if its dropped or not.

I just checked the level again (checked it four times last week and it was on the second hole), I haven't drove it in the last week and it is now on the third hole  :unsure: If I wait a couple of more weeks it might be on the fifth hole. I am just going to leave it now as I don't want to overfill it and wait until the first service in July. I really think these dipsticks are not very good tbh. 

• MickyD and KenL like this

Madpig

Madpig

<3 Blue

• Club Member
  • 4098 posts
  • John
  • Leicestershire
2 dots down?

My dipstick just has min and max on it......

Gallego1968

Gallego1968
  • Club Member
  • 142 posts

I checked mine yesterday, done 1800 miles and still good on the oil lever.

Jason70

Jason70
  • Club Member
  • 438 posts
  • Jason
  • Kent

2 dots down?

My dipstick just has min and max on it......

On the MK8? 

Madpig

Madpig

<3 Blue

• Club Member
  • 4098 posts
  • John
  • Leicestershire

On the MK8?

Oh yes; mine however was built in December 2018 as I’ve had it 15 months now.
  • Jason70 likes this

Jason70

Jason70
  • Club Member
  • 438 posts
  • Jason
  • Kent

Oh yes; mine however was built in December 2018 as I’ve had it 15 months now.

Cheers Madpig for clearing that up, the later ones must have changed, trust me you don't want holes!

• Madpig likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk8, Mk8st, Oil, Oil leak, Mpg, Fiesta, Ford, Fiesta st

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users