Oil consumption 69 Plate car - Page 3 - Fiesta ST MK8 Discussion - Fiesta ST Owners Club

Oil consumption 69 Plate car

Mk8 Mk8st Oil Oil leak Mpg Fiesta Ford Fiesta st

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Aaronfinlay

Aaronfinlay
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts
So checked my oil today since i filled up 2 weeks ago, done 80 miles since then and all is well so far, hopefully it doesnt go through anymore.
  • KenL likes this

gilles.sc81

gilles.sc81
  • Forum User
  • 5 posts
Hello,
Got my new MK8 a couple of weeks ago and she was at second hole from the factory (I mean the 2 top holes whithout oil). They put the recommended oil quantity at the factory in the engine but this not neccessary the max capacity. She has now 1200 kms and the oil level has not moved.

Losing oil without running the engine is very strange, usually the oil leaks during warning/cooling process or under pressure when engine is runing. When engine is off even a weak gasket make its job unless it is very big leak.
  • Jason70 likes this

Aaronfinlay

Aaronfinlay
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts
So i just checked the oil again today, i have done 130 mile since ive topped it up. Pulled the dipstick out and was on the max dot, great. I Wiped it then i put it back in and took it out and it had gone down 2 dots from the max dot, so done the same again and then it was 1 dot down from the max dot, but there was still a little oil above the max marker that was visible.

In my previous post ive mentioned that i cant see any oil leaks and the car doesnt seem to be burning oil. Im starting to think maybe its the design of the dipstick.

I will leave it like this for a couple of weeks and see if its goes down anymore.
  • Jason70 likes this

Aaronfinlay

Aaronfinlay
  • Forum User
  • 12 posts
Checked the oil again today and it was on max compared to a couple of days ago when it was one down from max, maybe its the dipstick getting caught further up as it does catch onto the pipe a little bit.

KevC

KevC
  • Club Member
  • 497 posts
  • Ireland

Checked the oil again today and it was on max compared to a couple of days ago when it was one down from max, maybe its the dipstick getting caught further up as it does catch onto the pipe a little bit.

The dipstick on these cars is shockingly bad to get an accurate and repetitive reading.

• Dogtanian likes this

Cat Power

Cat Power
  • Club Member
  • 397 posts
Agree.....
and that is the reason for differing readings.

Richyharrison04

Richyharrison04
  • Club Member
  • 569 posts

So i just checked the oil again today, i have done 130 mile since ive topped it up. Pulled the dipstick out and was on the max dot, great. I Wiped it then i put it back in and took it out and it had gone down 2 dots from the max dot, so done the same again and then it was 1 dot down from the max dot, but there was still a little oil above the max marker that was visible.

In my previous post ive mentioned that i cant see any oil leaks and the car doesnt seem to be burning oil. Im starting to think maybe its the design of the dipstick.

I will leave it like this for a couple of weeks and see if its goes down anymore.

Not sure this helps mate, but just to add my recent experience, I checked my car for fault codes just playing around...no warning light on the dashboard, and the low oil error code came up.

I checked the dipstick on a flat surface multiple times immediately, (backwards way and know I should be checking oil anyway...) And it was indeed low.

I topped it up and it's okay now, cleared the fault code and it's not come back, but might be worth checking if your car has generated a fault code in the absence of the dash light not coming on? Although I've heard conflicting things on the dash light as to when it appears...
  • KenL and Jason70 like this

Ricardo

Ricardo
  • Club Member
  • 32 posts

The dipstick on these cars is shockingly bad to get an accurate and repetitive reading.

Harrumph!

DarrenST

DarrenST
  • Club Member
  • 429 posts
Thread bump, checked my oil for the first time today. Oil was warm and I couldn't really get a reading on the dipstick it seems to pull up loads of oil... Brings back nightmares of our old cooper S! Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

Also cut myself of the scuttle panel as many of you have already done 😂
  • Custard Tart likes this

MickyD

MickyD

"Race Red Owner"

• Club Member
  • 5905 posts

Thread bump, checked my oil for the first time today. Oil was warm and I couldn't really get a reading on the dipstick it seems to pull up loads of oil... Brings back nightmares of our old cooper S! Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

Also cut myself of the scuttle panel as many of you have already done

You've seen the mod for the scuttle panel I assume @DarrenST .....???

As for oil I have always done it the same way since the Mk7, take it out clean it well (including the holes) and ignore this dip it in to within an inch or so and pull out and wipe again (to try and remove the oil in the tube that will drag up and give a false higher reading, then dip again this time fully and when it's in rotate the dipstick 180 or 360 degrees and remove carefully. Then simply look at the inner holes to find the last oil filled hole, this is the lower level you can then look between this filled hole and the next unfilled hole to see the more accurate level (remember it will only be the lowest level above this dot that is fully covered both sides of the dipstick and ignore any other oil picked up above this point as this is just transfer (To be honest though the last filled hole should be accurate enough for most people though)

DarrenST

DarrenST
  • Club Member
  • 429 posts

You've seen the mod for the scuttle panel I assume @DarrenST .....???

As for oil I have always done it the same way since the Mk7, take it out clean it well (including the holes) and ignore this dip it in to within an inch or so and pull out and wipe again (to try and remove the oil in the tube that will drag up and give a false higher reading, then dip again this time fully and when it's in rotate the dipstick 180 or 360 degrees and remove carefully. Then simply look at the inner holes to find the last oil filled hole, this is the lower level you can then look between this filled hole and the next unfilled hole to see the more accurate level (remember it will only be the lowest level above this dot that is fully covered both sides of the dipstick and ignore any other oil picked up above this point as this is just transfer (To be honest though the last filled hole should be accurate enough for most people though)

Thanks Micky, I've seen the trim for the cowling but can't seem to find it... May try checking from cold just to get an idea, I don't foresee any oil usage on these cars I certainly had none on my mk7.

MickyD

MickyD

"Race Red Owner"

• Club Member
  • 5905 posts

Thanks Micky, I've seen the trim for the cowling but can't seem to find it... May try checking from cold just to get an idea, I don't foresee any oil usage on these cars I certainly had none on my mk7.

Does this help @DarrenST

https://www.fiestast...p-like-a-razer/

Specially for those with fairy soft "hands that do dishes"  :whistle:  :smile:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk8, Mk8st, Oil, Oil leak, Mpg, Fiesta, Ford, Fiesta st

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users