2020 Ford Puma ST - thoughts? - Other Marque | Automotive Discussion - Fiesta ST Owners Club

2020 Ford Puma ST - thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Tim

Tim
  • Club Member
  • 1582 posts
  • Tim
  • North pole

No significant specs released as yet, but what do we all think? Ford are pushing the ST badge onto models that have muscled into certain sectors.

Would people move onto the Puma as a next 'grown up' or family car just because it has an ST badge? Usually it's Fiesta --> Focus or Kuga. But now there's the kind of blend of Focus/Kuga/Small SUV type thing going on. 

Personally, SUV's are booming, and my next step from the Fiesta would've been a Focus ST or boring Kuga. But now I'm thinking maybe the Puma ST might tick the boxes. 

Attached Files

james-pimlico

james-pimlico
  • Club Member
  • 507 posts
  • London.

I sat in a fully loaded normal puma at the dealers 2 months back when collecting our fiesta and as much as me and the misses

loved the inside of it as this one had everything and really felt like a really nice place to be in AND BIG, the outside just did not do it for us,

it’s just the shape is hideous and ugly and them lights put us right off it.

Don’t get me wrong the st model will look sportier but it’s just the overall shape and lights I just can’t get past, for me in the flesh

the new puma just don’t work, it looks like ford’s version of the Nissan duke.

If you can get past the looks I am sure it will be a great family car as the inside did seem and feel very nice and the kids loved the inside
and that alone will be enough for some people, but again when I was next to it in the flesh it just looked like a fat girls bubble car.

Again just my own opinion.

• invisible1955 and stevep44 like this

MickyD

MickyD

"Race Red Owner"

• Club Member
  • 5626 posts

Nope! Still hate that they re-used a name used on one of their iconic cars for an SUV

• invisible1955, stevep44 and Svcred like this

Pyrres

Pyrres
  • Forum User
  • 2908 posts
I don't like that I kinda like it. I hate SUVs but that looks kinda nice and could be fun if it's anything like Fiesta ST.

ST3spin

ST3spin
  • Club Member
  • 5161 posts
Not for me, reminds me of a Nissan Puke :sick:
  • Madpig, james-pimlico, MickyD and 2 others like this

Madpig

Madpig

<3 Blue

• Club Member
  • 4069 posts
  • John
  • Leicestershire

Not for me, reminds me of a Nissan Puke :sick:

Every time I see one of those ugly Jukes that will be what I call them......
  • james-pimlico, ST3spin, invisible1955 and 1 other like this

Cat Power

Cat Power
  • Club Member
  • 321 posts
It will make the ST badge a joke. I had one of the first original Puma's in the country and a second a few years later so will be particularly disgusting to me.
  • sab and MickyD like this

NeilDF

NeilDF
  • Forum User
  • 395 posts
  • Neil
  • West Sussex

I don't think they should have named this a Puma, because the original is in no way like this thing. That said, I honestly would be tempted, because it might tick two boxes (a fun car for me and a practical larger family car). I'd have to see it close-up and drive it first though.

My gut reaction is that as a car, it isn't going to be as bad as some of you think it will be (unless you have evidence to the contrary or have driven it). I dislike the name, but otherwise I'd like to see more. I disliked the Mk8 Fiesta at first, that's grown on me though (still think Mk7 looks better even so!) and I wonder if my misgivings about the exterior might soften with a bit of time, too.

Mind you, with the way things are at the moment, I'm not making any big purchases and have no reason to get rid of my Fiesta. If we went down to one car between me and the wife, sure I would want to look at this "Puma" ST (we all know it's not a Puma but still!).

• seanym007 likes this

MarksST

MarksST
  • Club Member
  • 5816 posts
  • Mark
  • West Sussex

It will make the ST badge a joke. I had one of the first original Puma's in the country and a second a few years later so will be particularly disgusting to me.

Is that the Puma from over 20 years ago?

MickyD

MickyD

"Race Red Owner"

• Club Member
  • 5626 posts

Is that the Puma from over 20 years ago?

That was when the Puma came out??? Dont understand the question/sarcasm?!?

My first Puma was a 1.7 blue S744 LAJ (1997 or 23 years old) so good I bought the FRP which was twice the car of what was already one of the best handling cars you could buy.

james-pimlico

james-pimlico
  • Club Member
  • 507 posts
  • London.

My first Puma was a 1.7 blue S744 LAJ (1997 or 23 years old) so good I bought the FRP which was twice the car of what was already one of the best handling cars you could buy.

Agree, the first puma was amazing I had an R and a S plate 1.7 versions both in silver.

To be honest and even till this day it was one of the best/fun cars I ever owned, living in central London it was perfect

to blast around in, and if I remember correct it was even given car of the year by whatcar or topgear when it was out, I can’t
remember the exact year but it won it.

But for me the first Puma was an absolute blast, cracking car and never had one single issue.

Cat Power

Cat Power
  • Club Member
  • 321 posts
It was one of (if not the) first in the country. My first one was red and 3 years later a green. I had an option on a Racing Puma when they came out but declined it after the many build/quality problems with them and the planned build numbers were stopped short.
Yes it seems ages ago but I am 74 and loving my modded Mk8 !

StBen1989

StBen1989
  • Club Member
  • 301 posts
So is this puma replacing the eco sport?

MarksST

MarksST
  • Club Member
  • 5816 posts
  • Mark
  • West Sussex

So is this puma replacing the eco sport?

No, it sits between the ecosport and the Kuga. It’s been out since the beginning of the year.

###simon###

###simon###
  • Club Member
  • 2354 posts
  • Bishops Cleeve

I think if it came in awd version I might have a look at it, the wife’s mk1 Kuga needs replacing and the awd version of the ecosport is a bit rich for what it is and doesn’t come with 1ltr petrol engine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users