2020 Ford Puma ST - thoughts? - Page 6 - Other Marque | Automotive Discussion - Fiesta ST Owners Club

2020 Ford Puma ST - thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

mjcapri

mjcapri
  • Club Member
  • 88 posts

I've liked your post not because I "like" it, but because you are spot on imo (ok, maybe there might be more generations of Fiestas, but not many, and not as we know them now).
Small cars still come with big development costs, Ford in Europe lose money for fun - they have to do something different.

I agree with your ‘something different’ comment. I’d have started with the new Focus which was a missed opportunity IMO. I’d have liked to have seen something really bold and distinctive that got everybody talking (a bit like the original did). You only have to look at the new Civic, which although looks a bit of a dogs dinner IMO, seems to be selling well and is certainly distinctive! But instead they came up with the most anonymous Focus design to date, presumably to attract Golf buyers....

I think the Fiesta will be around for a long time yet as it sells too well to simply drop, Ford need to figure out how to make it profitable though.

mjcapri

mjcapri
  • Club Member
  • 88 posts
In fact, the Puma could have been something different. I know I’m dreaming here, but imagine if they’d resurrected the original concept and produced a sleek two door coupe based on the current Fiesta.... Entry level models would have been stylish poser-mobiles that are affordable and fun to drive, competing with the likes of the 2 Series. An ST badged version would be a proper drivers car just like the Fiesta is and an RS version would take aim at the Caymen etc.

Back to reality, I know it’s far too risky and Ford can’t/won’t do it, but it would certainly have us all excited!
  • ST3spin and MickyD like this

jasperdog

jasperdog
  • Club Member
  • 67 posts

You only have to look at the new Civic, which although looks a bit of a dogs dinner IMO

Off topic, but good god isn't it just.

• jase_llan likes this

AlphaDelta

AlphaDelta
  • Club Member
  • 103 posts

In fact, the Puma could have been something different. I know I’m dreaming here, but imagine if they’d resurrected the original concept and produced a sleek two door coupe based on the current Fiesta.... Entry level models would have been stylish poser-mobiles that are affordable and fun to drive, competing with the likes of the 2 Series. An ST badged version would be a proper drivers car just like the Fiesta is and an RS version would take aim at the Caymen etc.

Back to reality, I know it’s far too risky and Ford can’t/won’t do it, but it would certainly have us all excited!

As enthusiasts I think we all talk a good game on these cars but then when they come along actually parting with hard earned cash is another matter. Case in point the GR Yaris. An incredible spec of a car which I personally have a reservation on. However, only 250 UK pre-orders so far... Compare that with Ford Puma UK sales of around 2,000 a month. This is why I think the strategy makes sense to make the Puma a small crossover rather than a 2-door coupe. Similarly with things like ST-line trim. It might annoy the enthusiasts but Ford and other companies sell a hell of a lot more ST-Line/R-Line/S-Line vehicles than the performance versions. 

Cat Power

Cat Power
  • Club Member
  • 320 posts
It was once said, "Ford don't have to get their models right as their marketing department is second to none"

Tim

Tim
  • Club Member
  • 1582 posts
  • Tim
  • North pole

I’m not convinced. Whilst there are plenty of Ford diehards out there I’m not sure they really want to drive an SUV. But then again the diehards (like us on here!) account for a tiny number of sales in the grand scheme of things so we’re probably not that important.

As for Ford being clever, again I’m not sure they’re THAT clever tbh. Sales are getting battered by the premium brands, and battered by the relative newcomers and once budget brands (Kia, Hyundai etc.) and they appear to be miles behind when it comes to electric vehicles. I’m not sure how they carried out their research for the current Focus ST, but it would appear that existing ST owners certainly weren’t consulted. It’s objectively a better car than the old one but just isn’t selling. The problem with trying to appeal to new markets is that if you fail, and in the process alienate your traditional market, you have no market. There’s a bit of that in the Focus ST I think....

I know I keep repeating myself, but the brands only real credibility comes from its sporting heritage, and mildly souped up SUV’s don’t reflect that regardless of marketing. Don’t get me wrong, Fords in general are pretty good cars and often underrated IMO but their standout cars have always been the most sporty ones, and are the ones that have an aspirational image. Trying to shoehorn an SUV into the hot hatch category isn’t a great idea IMO, and risks diluting a very strong sub-brand.

A bit of a rant but with the likes of the GR Yaris on the horizon I’d hate to see Ford loose out in the hot hatch market, as that’s one where their reputation in second to none IMO.

On the subject of the Focus ST, I was going to put an order in for a new estate version, but when the price came back, even with the Drive the Deal discount, I just couldn't justify losing £6k in a year for no reason. Price is a big point for buyers and that to me was the deciding factor also.

With electric cars being higher priced, but designed to be 'cheaper to run' - but are they? You have to get a sparky to fit a plug on your house, plus the price of the car, whereas you could buy a petrol car and have change. 

Driving will go back to being a luxury, like in the 60's!

• mjcapri likes this

jase_llan

jase_llan
  • Club Member
  • 1078 posts

Off topic, but good god isn't it just.

Agreed, I quite liked the FK2 but the FK8 is awful.

mjcapri

mjcapri
  • Club Member
  • 88 posts

On the subject of the Focus ST, I was going to put an order in for a new estate version, but when the price came back, even with the Drive the Deal discount, I just couldn't justify losing £6k in a year for no reason. Price is a big point for buyers and that to me was the deciding factor also.

With electric cars being higher priced, but designed to be 'cheaper to run' - but are they? You have to get a sparky to fit a plug on your house, plus the price of the car, whereas you could buy a petrol car and have change. 

Driving will go back to being a luxury, like in the 60's!

I was originally looking at a Focus ST when I bought my PE. The looks were an issue but it was also very expensive, and that won’t be helping sales. Don’t get me wrong, I realise cars are getting more expensive, and it’s well equipped as standard, but to put it in perspective I paid more or less the same for my (well optioned!) RS three years earlier. It just didn’t feel like a good deal could be had, at the time anyway.

mjcapri

mjcapri
  • Club Member
  • 88 posts
Some good news!

It looks like M-Sport will indeed be sticking with the Fiesta in 2022 if today’s reports are true. It makes sense really, but the Puma story was a little worrying....

StiggyTheST

StiggyTheST
  • Club Member
  • 799 posts

https://www.autocar....ember-unveiling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users