Rodent chewed through Exhaust Sensor - Fiesta ST MK8 Discussion - Fiesta ST Owners Club

Rodent chewed through Exhaust Sensor

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Vinsona85

Vinsona85
  • Forum User
  • 170 posts

So i went to Ford with an engine light warning and dodgy bonnet catch whilst also having my 2nd yr service. As I had added short shifter and bonnet struts they classed these as mods and so wouldn't investigate unless I paid £125. They blamed the bonnet struts on the faulty bonnet latch, which was BS, (i added the struts as i couldn't get under the bonnet and the garage wasn't open) but apparently they did oil the latch...or so they said.  So i took to my local garage, and the mechanic i normally use said there was no oil at all around the latch - no surprise there! He also put the car on the ramp, 2 mins later he had identified the issue. Either I've caught the cable on something, or something has chewed through it. I believe it's the latter as i had a wild rabbit under the car a few months back. Anyway, its really just to make you awear that you may want to add protection to this cable as it doesn't seem to be protected in any way (i do realise that this was a freak occurrence..). Mechanic is going to try and call the ford garage he has a good relationship with and see if this can be repaired under warranty but its unlikely :(

Attached Files

Thepowerfulpotato

Thepowerfulpotato
  • Club Member
  • 188 posts
Bonnet latches always rust up really badly on everything I've seen/driven. I'd put some forklift chain lube on it. I've taken to using it on just about everything. It sprays on really thin so it gets right into everything, but then it sets up to a thick tacky grease that isn't easily washed away my water/heat so keeps the metal protected.

In terms of the sensor there isn't much you can really do sadly. I've been on a few waste disposal sites and you wouldn't believe the things the rats will chew through. I've seen them chew through nylon braided hydraulic hoses just so they can get cut in half by a jet of 3000psi 85° oil. Nothing stops them.
  • mjcapri likes this

Vinsona85

Vinsona85
  • Forum User
  • 170 posts

mechanic adjusted the bonnet bungs (guess that's what they are called) on either side and seems to a have made a slight diff.. not sure why ford didn't try this first.

yeh just real unlucky with the cable. 

AMc

AMc

'Mk7 Noob'

• Club Staff
  • 22975 posts
Not sure than even if it was all fine regards warranty that it would be covered as such, not really a fault as such.

mjcapri

mjcapri
  • Club Member
  • 78 posts

Bonnet latches always rust up really badly on everything I've seen/driven. I'd put some forklift chain lube on it. I've taken to using it on just about everything. It sprays on really thin so it gets right into everything, but then it sets up to a thick tacky grease that isn't easily washed away my water/heat so keeps the metal protected.
In terms of the sensor there isn't much you can really do sadly. I've been on a few waste disposal sites and you wouldn't believe the things the rats will chew through. I've seen them chew through nylon braided hydraulic hoses just so they can get cut in half by a jet of 3000psi 85° oil. Nothing stops them.

I give mine a squirt of ACF-50 now and again, it’s worth doing like you said.

MickyD

MickyD

"Race Red Owner"

• Club Member
  • 5527 posts

So i went to Ford with an engine light warning and dodgy bonnet catch whilst also having my 2nd yr service. As I had added short shifter and bonnet struts they classed these as mods and so wouldn't investigate unless I paid £125. They blamed the bonnet struts on the faulty bonnet latch, which was BS, (i added the struts as i couldn't get under the bonnet and the garage wasn't open) but apparently they did oil the latch...or so they said.  So i took to my local garage, and the mechanic i normally use said there was no oil at all around the latch - no surprise there! He also put the car on the ramp, 2 mins later he had identified the issue. Either I've caught the cable on something, or something has chewed through it. I believe it's the latter as i had a wild rabbit under the car a few months back. Anyway, its really just to make you awear that you may want to add protection to this cable as it doesn't seem to be protected in any way (i do realise that this was a freak occurrence..). Mechanic is going to try and call the ford garage he has a good relationship with and see if this can be repaired under warranty but its unlikely :(

They could have used a dry lubricant remember as this would be less likely to in the future jam up (in the same way as you can lubricate a key and lock with a pencil.....

Hmmm actually I disagree, I do think being cut in half by hydraulic fluid does stop them... at least the one that managed to chew through it at least....  :grin:

Vinsona85

Vinsona85
  • Forum User
  • 170 posts

Not sure than even if it was all fine regards warranty that it would be covered as such, not really a fault as such.

Yeh I agree, even if everything was stock it wouldn't have been covered. I'm just more :censored: off with the fact they couldn't even be bothered to spend 30 mins looking at it with the money i spent with them buying the car.. and that i had to go to one man garage in the middle of nowhere (who I normally get to MOT/Service my car) to find the fault. 

• AMc likes this

teeny345

teeny345
  • Club Member
  • 146 posts
Its a bit like a dog ate my homework

Vinsona85

Vinsona85
  • Forum User
  • 170 posts

But slightly more expensive :)

ST32B

ST32B
  • Forum User
  • 191 posts

:laughing: that did happen to me when I was about 10 to my science homework, the dog had chewed it over night and my mum had to write a note to the teacher. I took the torn up parts into School as you could see the teeth marks on it  :laughing:  

teeny345

teeny345
  • Club Member
  • 146 posts
Council :D

Odin

Odin
  • Club Member
  • 27 posts
Had a milltek exhaust fitted and fitter didnt move sensor on exhaust so new one cut through sensor cable
Engine light then came on and I took it to ford they identified the issue but would not do anything under warranty as I fitted an aftermarket exhaust
Took back to fitter they soldered a repair and its been perfect for a year now so just get someone to do a fix

Vinsona85

Vinsona85
  • Forum User
  • 170 posts
Yeh gonna do it myself, but like I said earlier it was because they wanted to charge me £125 for a basic 5 min check that annoyed me. The car would have been on the ramp anyway and it wouldnt surprise me if they had seen it but didnt say anything. If they had seen it and then still blamed it on the mods I would have then argued that the mods would not have caused this and then If they had played the act of god card then so be it. Anyway Ive submitted a complaint with Evans halshaw online but i wont get any where.. just wanted to have a moan.

P.s I mean, dont take this the wrong way but if youve fitted a new exhaust and the cables been cut you wouldnt stand any chance of getting the repair under warranty and if I was in the same situation then I wouldnt even attempt at asking ford fix this under warranty.

Edit I guess you didnt know they had cut the cable at the time and thats why you went to ford and then they identified the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users