Buying an ST-3 soon and have questions - Fiesta ST MK7 Discussion - Fiesta ST Owners Club

Buying an ST-3 soon and have questions

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Dandesc

Dandesc
  • Forum User
  • 6 posts

Hey all,

I have decided I am going to buy an ST-3 in the next month or so. I am really hoping to get the 5 door MK7 as I have a 1 year old with a car seat.

I basically have some questions about modification and security. I don't want to go crazy with modifications, but I was going to upgrade the exhaust with cat back and maybe the intake and shocks. I have tried to search and read up as much as I can but my main worry would be damaging the engine. Can you add these without a re tune? For the exhaust I want something that is a bit louder than stock but with no droning. 

Then also I am interested in a quick shift as I heard good things about them. Are they safe to use? I should be able to fit all these myself as I am a trainee mechanic. Or should I drive it as stock for a while?

Then security. What's the best security you can add and what do you guys use?

Thanks  :thumbsup:

maxxoutput

maxxoutput
  • Club Member
  • 1101 posts
For a Cat back exhaust that isnt drony or too noisy but sounds deeper id suggest a Milltek non res race system, no tune required.

Shocks - if its a low mile car no need to change, if you want to lower the car sensibly then Eibach Pro spring kit - these are also supplied by Ford so a good match for the car but buy online rather than from a stealer.

Intake - For a little more induction noise the ST200 air box - for lots of noise ITG intake system - no tune requited with either

Not sure on quick shift as i dont need one and have never fitted one.

Number one priority - SECURITY , start with a Disclok small and relocate OBD connector, from there on look for a decent aftermaker alarm system.
  • Dandesc likes this

Dandesc

Dandesc
  • Forum User
  • 6 posts

For a Cat back exhaust that isnt drony or too noisy but sounds deeper id suggest a Milltek non res race system, no tune required.

Shocks - if its a low mile car no need to change, if you want to lower the car sensibly then Eiback Pro spring kit - these are also supplied by Ford so a good match for the car but buy online rather than from a stealer.

Intake - For a little more induction noise the ST200 air box - for lots of noise ITG intake system - no tune requited with either

Not sure on quick shift as i dont need one and have never fitted one.

Number one priority - SECURITY , start with a Disclok small and relocate OBD connector, from there on look for a decent aftermaker alarm system.

Ok thanks for the advice mate, Yep I don't mind spending a bit on security. Disclok will be a definite and I will do something with the OBD. Not taking any chances.

How about a decent immobilizer or similar? 

Sands2038

Sands2038
  • Club Member
  • 53 posts

How about a decent immobilizer or similar? 

Viper 106v immobilizer is often recommended. Thatcham Cat 2
  • Dandesc likes this

Dandesc

Dandesc
  • Forum User
  • 6 posts

Viper 106v immobilizer is often recommended. Thatcham Cat 2

Thanks, That looks pretty good. Does it help with insurance cost if at all do you know?

MickyD

MickyD

"Race Red Owner"

• Club Member
  • 5527 posts

@Dandesc Welcome and further to the sage advice offered by @maxxoutput reference the security, if you do (as is highly recommended) relocate the OBD port then I would advise you replace it with a dummy like this for example:

https://www.focusrsp.../prod_5856.html

There are cheaper ones available on ebay and amazon, some have power to trick them into thinking its real others just look the part but either way they will slow someone down enough for them to maybe move on to and easier target.

... also I did not hear anyone mention Faraday pouches or metal tin for the keys to prevent relay theft?!?

• Dandesc likes this

maxxoutput

maxxoutput
  • Club Member
  • 1101 posts
Dan, I made a typo with regards to the springs its Eibach not Eiback. Dont go searching for Eiback, you probably wont find a great deal. 😬
  • ST3spin and Dandesc like this

[email protected] FLUX

[email protected] FLUX
  • Sponsor
  • 335 posts

Thanks, That looks pretty good. Does it help with insurance cost if at all do you know?

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

• Dandesc likes this

Dandesc

Dandesc
  • Forum User
  • 6 posts

@Dandesc Welcome and further to the sage advice offered by @maxxoutput reference the security, if you do (as is highly recommended) relocate the OBD port then I would advise you replace it with a dummy like this for example:

https://www.focusrsp.../prod_5856.html

There are cheaper ones available on ebay and amazon, some have power to trick them into thinking its real others just look the part but either way they will slow someone down enough for them to maybe move on to and easier target.

... also I did not hear anyone mention Faraday pouches or metal tin for the keys to prevent relay theft?!?

Thanks mate. I will definitely move the OBD port and get a faraday pouch. Will just have to find a good place for the original. I don't want to skimp too much on security. I just wanna gets what is best.

Dan, I made a typo with regards to the springs its Eibach not Eiback. Dont go searching for Eiback, you probably wont find a great deal.

What?? Are you serious?? I just searched 6 hours for them!........... Nah it's cool, I am familiar with them. They were top of my list but I wanted to see what people would say.

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Thanks. I will do.

On the subject of insurance I am having a stupid moment. Basically I am with esure for my 2.2 Zafira dadmobile that I drive now and I pay about £50 a month. I got a multi-car quote with a 2017 ST3 5 door and it says £68. Is that just for the ST or both? £118 a month is a bit much I thought although I have only driven 3 1/2 years, and I am 36. I never made a claim and have 3 years NCD so far. 3 door was £15 more a month!

AdamC23262

AdamC23262
  • Club Member
  • 33 posts
  • Adam
  • West Midlands
Definitely get the quick shift, best £40-50 youll spend! Mine came on the car when I bought it but I took it off to see what difference it makes and it definitely shortens the throw between gears so you can get back on power quicker....or just flat shift the life out of the thing. 😂 (Actually no dont listen to that last bit.)
  • Dandesc likes this

Dandesc

Dandesc
  • Forum User
  • 6 posts

Definitely get the quick shift, best £40-50 youll spend! Mine came on the car when I bought it but I took it off to see what difference it makes and it definitely shortens the throw between gears so you can get back on power quicker....or just flat shift the life out of the thing. (Actually no dont listen to that last bit.)

Yeah I think it's gotta be done. I had a civic before my current car and the throw on that was great. If I can get it close to that I would be happy.

Gonna go with the milltek non res race and a stage 1 map and then some cosmetic mods as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users