Sad day made redundant

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Chrissyelse88

Chrissyelse88
  • Club Member
  • 673 posts
As title says I today found out I am being made redundant next week. I started my dream job in December and what a rollercoaster ride I have been on the last 6 months. Feel a bit lost at the moment as I have never been unemployed in my life and have worked since I was 16. Feeling very low at the moment has anyone got any tips advice who have been in this situation before. Thanks in advance Chris

Daysleepers

Daysleepers
  • Club Member
  • 157 posts
  • Fred
  • North Essex
Sorry to hear this Chris.

My advice would be to start looking into universal credit ASAP. It can take a while to come through, and you should claim what youre entitled to even if youre not in desperate need for it. Your national insurance will still be counted as if you were working, so it doesnt set back your retirement too.

Things will be tough, but talking really helps. Chat to friends and family about it all and make sure youre getting supported.

As for applying for jobs, it might seem like a bad time to be looking for jobs, but many opportunities will come up over the next few months. Depending on your industry, there will be lots more working from home opportunities too.

Keep your head up though, its tough but itll be alright in the end.
  • ###simon###, ST3spin and invisible1955 like this

###simon###

###simon###
  • Club Member
  • 2354 posts
  • Bishops Cleeve

Sorry to hear this Chris.

My advice would be to start looking into universal credit ASAP. It can take a while to come through, and you should claim what youre entitled to even if youre not in desperate need for it. Your national insurance will still be counted as if you were working, so it doesnt set back your retirement too.

Things will be tough, but talking really helps. Chat to friends and family about it all and make sure youre getting supported.

As for applying for jobs, it might seem like a bad time to be looking for jobs, but many opportunities will come up over the next few months. Depending on your industry, there will be lots more working from home opportunities too.

Keep your head up though, its tough but itll be alright in the end.

Some cracking advice there.

ST3spin

ST3spin
  • Club Member
  • 5161 posts
Sorry to hear this, hope something comes your way soon :nice:

Luke_77

Luke_77
  • Club Member
  • 2032 posts

@Chrissyelse88 Not good news. Especially as it was your dream job

I’ve been made redundant twice in the last four years. Both times I got a decent package though which softened the blow. Neither were my dream jobs, but the likelihood of me becoming an international playboy are zero. So I’m unlikely ever to have the dream job 

Great advice above though. 

What was your position? Got any old colleagues/contacts you could call upon to see if they have any opportunities? Companies hate paying recruitment agency fees so getting the foot in the door by way of a personal introduction could be good way to approach your next chapter 

philb65

philb65
  • Club Member
  • 244 posts

Sorry to hear your news, all good general advice so far. Not knowing what you do I wouldn’t rule out recruiters as they are a means to an end but personal recommendation is definitely better. Hopefully you have the breathing space to take a breath and reevaluate maybe? Might be worth saying what your line of work is, you might get more specific advice. Keep your chin up.

• Dogtanian likes this

Luke_77

Luke_77
  • Club Member
  • 2032 posts

@philb65 he was an electrical maintenance engineer 

(thought I’d seen Chris posting about the dream job before)  https://www.fiestast...-advice-needed/

StBen1989

StBen1989
  • Club Member
  • 301 posts
Sorry to hear that mate.
Sounds like a weird bit of advice, but a lot of people get in the habit of waking up late morning or early afternoon when out of work. Set your alarm for 7am, get up and occupy your mind. Have some breakfast, stick some headphones in and go for a walk or run. Exercise has a great power of giving your mind fulfillment, start the day like this and searching for jobs will seem that bit less stressful.
  • ST3spin, Implicity, Richyharrison04 and 4 others like this

Custard Tart

Custard Tart
  • Club Member
  • 500 posts
  • Lee
  • South Wales
I was gutted when it was anounced Ford were closing the plant in Bridgend i have been lucky enough to find another job..
Just stay positive focus on going forward decide what you want to do next and busy yourself going for and getting what you want the worst thing you can do is dwell too much on it..

Good luck and all the best :thumbsup:
  • ST3spin and philb65 like this

Chrissyelse88

Chrissyelse88
  • Club Member
  • 673 posts
Thanks all for great advice appreciate it not always easy talking to friends and family so as strange as it sounds talking on hear helps.

Just to answer a couple of questions

I am a multi skilled maintenance engineer more electrical based though, and I landed my dream job at Rolls Royce as a senior maintenance engineer which I started in December last year.
Unfortunately due to my lack of time with the company I have not walked away with much redundacy pay enough to keep me going for two months I have about another 2 months of savings to fall on.

I have mainly worked in the the automotive industry and pharmaceutical industry before and have facility maintenance experience to.

I am in touch with my old boss but they are dropping the night shift so no chance of returning there at the moment.

I have never been unemployed before so not sure how to go about claiming universal credit will look into it tommorow.

I'm sure I will find something but looks like it's going to be a tough time ahead with the amount of people loosing there jobs.

Thanks for all the advice
  • Richyharrison04 likes this

MickyD

MickyD

"Race Red Owner"

• Club Member
  • 5626 posts

:sad:

Tim

Tim
  • Club Member
  • 1582 posts
  • Tim
  • North pole

Sorry to hear that Chris, you are not alone, there will be many others in the same position. Stay positive.

Get your CV up to date and get it out there, while some companies are shutting, others will be booming due to increase in contact-less services, or providing things to be put in place to keep everything contact-less.

Look around your local area, take a drive and a load of CV's and post them in any business which you see would suit you. And get on all the job websites, give yourself a couple of hours a night going through them all.

Good luck fella, we are all here to talk to each other, not just about cars.

Daysleepers

Daysleepers
  • Club Member
  • 157 posts
  • Fred
  • North Essex

Thanks all for great advice appreciate it not always easy talking to friends and family so as strange as it sounds talking on hear helps.

Just to answer a couple of questions

I am a multi skilled maintenance engineer more electrical based though, and I landed my dream job at Rolls Royce as a senior maintenance engineer which I started in December last year.
Unfortunately due to my lack of time with the company I have not walked away with much redundacy pay enough to keep me going for two months I have about another 2 months of savings to fall on.

I have mainly worked in the the automotive industry and pharmaceutical industry before and have facility maintenance experience to.

I am in touch with my old boss but they are dropping the night shift so no chance of returning there at the moment.

I have never been unemployed before so not sure how to go about claiming universal credit will look into it tommorow.

I'm sure I will find something but looks like it's going to be a tough time ahead with the amount of people loosing there jobs.

Thanks for all the advice

I know you don't know me at all. But I know the difficulty with talking to friends and family about stuff like this, or feelings in general. If you need someone out of the loop to chat to, just drop me a PM. I'd be more than happy to listen to you. 

Chrissyelse88

Chrissyelse88
  • Club Member
  • 673 posts
Thanks guys, CV has been updated, LinkedIn status updated, spoke to of recruiter I have used before so fingers crossed. Appreciate everyone reaching out yesterday I was really low and actually had to cans of cider unlike me as I rarely drink feeling a bit more positive today.

I know alot of people are in the same situation but your own always seems worse at the time, luckily I have a very supportive wife who's words was yesterday well you need to stop mopeing about and get back out there no point feeling sorry for yourself well a hug would of been nice I guess 💁‍♂️
  • MickyD, coilkat, Daysleepers and 1 other like this

AMc

AMc

'Mk7 Noob'

• Club Staff
  • 22989 posts
Stay away from the drink, trust me, you don't want to go down that road.
  • Richyharrison04 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Pauld