New Car on its way & has the ST ceased production? - Fiesta ST MK8 Discussion - Fiesta ST Owners Club

New Car on its way & has the ST ceased production?

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

Jammie Dodger

Jammie Dodger
  • Forum User
  • 13 posts
Good evening.

Warning this post may be a bit long.

I have been to my local main dealer today to sign paperwork for my new MK8 ST. This will be an additional car to my current heavily modified MK7.

I had initially placed an order for the new Yaris GR, however due to recent family developments regarding the health of my father, I need a more practical car than my MK7. I had contacted Andy Barratt (or at least his social media account) after seeing a post about 0% finance on the Mustang. I asked if he could sort me out with a decent deal on a ST3. I was given a deal which I could not find better through a price comparison site. Aside from other savings this included £1k off with the Ford Upgrade & Save deal.

Initially the plan was to get a dealer allocation for September, but this was taken by another dealer. I was told Mr Barratt had sourced me a new car which should be delivered next week! I have heard of quicker turnarounds but I think 19 days from enquiry to driving the car is pretty impressive.

During discussions today I was also informed that Ford have temporarily ceased production of all Fiesta and Focus ST models for the remainder of the year. Can anyone in the know confirm or deny this? My speculation could be one of the reasons below:

1. The performance cars are being scaled back until consumer confidence returns

2. The Fiesta ST is ending production soon (I doubt this)

3. There could be a face lift model coming soon and maybe some tasty variants (the mythical Fiesta RS? 😂)

Ill leave it to others to speculate why Ford has scaled back production of performance cars.

I will post some images when I take delivery of the car. Im looking forward to it. Despite my initial plan to get the Yaris, circumstances mean that a punchy little MK8 ST will serve my requirements well particularly as the MK7 is at the point now where it is a bit too wild as a daily driver and I want to keep the mileage down on it.

DEVSR2

DEVSR2
  • Forum User
  • 1 posts

Good to see that Andy has sorted you out - I often see his posts on LI helping anyone out with any Ford issue and it's impressive. Not many times you'll hear an exec speaking about a customer, let alone to them!

I messaged him not long after the MK8 ST launch and he put me in touch with a dealer in Liverpool with a cracking deal.

Top bloke.

PS - you've made the right choice with the FiST!

philb65

philb65
  • Club Member
  • 244 posts

Good effort on going to the top for a deal, never heard of anyone doing it before! Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Personally can’t see the ST models getting canned, more likely they have quite a few already built and want to clear the decks a bit.

Id love to see an RS model but in these days of ever stricter emissions it’s unlikely unless it’s a hybrid and then the price will probably be

££££, although they would probably still sell.

Will be interesting to hear others views.

KenL

KenL
  • Club Member
  • 1033 posts
I'm not so sure they are looking to shift cars. Big price increases plus removing the £1k finance contribution is not likely to sell cars.
  • ST32B likes this

stevieoneda

stevieoneda
  • Forum User
  • 24 posts
If it gets harder to get hold of a new one that wont be a bad thing for the values of existing cars
  • KenL and Dogtanian like this

ST-FRD

ST-FRD
  • Club Member
  • 67 posts

Good evening.
Warning this post may be a bit long.
I have been to my local main dealer today to sign paperwork for my new MK8 ST. This will be an additional car to my current heavily modified MK7.
I had initially placed an order for the new Yaris GR, however due to recent family developments regarding the health of my father, I need a more practical car than my MK7. I had contacted Andy Barratt (or at least his social media account) after seeing a post about 0% finance on the Mustang. I asked if he could sort me out with a decent deal on a ST3. I was given a deal which I could not find better through a price comparison site. Aside from other savings this included £1k off with the Ford Upgrade & Save deal.
Initially the plan was to get a dealer allocation for September, but this was taken by another dealer. I was told Mr Barratt had sourced me a new car which should be delivered next week! I have heard of quicker turnarounds but I think 19 days from enquiry to driving the car is pretty impressive.
During discussions today I was also informed that Ford have temporarily ceased production of all Fiesta and Focus ST models for the remainder of the year. Can anyone in the know confirm or deny this? My speculation could be one of the reasons below:
1. The performance cars are being scaled back until consumer confidence returns
2. The Fiesta ST is ending production soon (I doubt this)
3. There could be a face lift model coming soon and maybe some tasty variants (the mythical Fiesta RS? )
Ill leave it to others to speculate why Ford has scaled back production of performance cars.
I will post some images when I take delivery of the car. Im looking forward to it. Despite my initial plan to get the Yaris, circumstances mean that a punchy little MK8 ST will serve my requirements well particularly as the MK7 is at the point now where it is a bit too wild as a daily driver and I want to keep the mileage down on it.

Likely there is a lot of built stock to clear hence the shutdown.

Unlikely a facelift yet, the new ST Is barely 2 years old.

Itguy

Itguy
  • Club Member
  • 97 posts
Could be a parts supply issue for something specific to the ST due to supply chain issues / furlough. Does anyone know if Quaife worked through lockdown, for example?

ST32B

ST32B
  • Forum User
  • 199 posts

As others have said it's probably because they have stock cars to shift, building cars that haven't been sold and keeping them in storage costs money! I work in a car factory and was put on furlough on the 17th March, I don't go back until the 17th August...reason = We had thousands of stock cars and nothing was being sold, so why pay us to build more when they can let the government pay us to stay at home until they've sold what they've got!

As @KenL says, removing the £1k incentive and 2 prices increases this year has lost them customers, me included. Off the top of my head my quote went for £290pm up to £370pm for exactly the same car via a pcp.

• KenL likes this

seanym007

seanym007
  • Club Member
  • 21 posts
  • Sean
  • Gateshead

As others have said it's probably because they have stock cars to shift, building cars that haven't been sold and keeping them in storage costs money! I work in a car factory and was put on furlough on the 17th March, I don't go back until the 17th August...reason = We had thousands of stock cars and nothing was being sold, so why pay us to build more when they can let the government pay us to stay at home until they've sold what they've got!

As @KenL says, removing the £1k incentive and 2 prices increases this year has lost them customers, me included. Off the top of my head my quote went for £290pm up to £370pm for exactly the same car via a pcp.

Insane increase that! Such a shame, because its a really good car, and generally (I've found) Ford owners are loyal to the brand. I myself have owned a Ford of some variety for the last 11 years since I bought my first little KA. Hopefully they realise the error of thier ways and sort it out! Stay Safe  :thumbsup:

• KenL and ST32B like this

Jammie Dodger

Jammie Dodger
  • Forum User
  • 13 posts
Hi all. To those commenting on price increases, I would certainly say there are deals to be had. I was given a very good deal indeed which made the ST3 cheaper than the ST2. Losing the dealer contribution was a sore point for me too And a reason why I contacted Andy Barratt, but I was fortunate to qualify for the upgrade and save which offers a like for like £1k discount. I appreciate that not all will qualify for this.

I had been looking at the nearly new market, but in all honesty the deal I was given it just didnt make sense to get anything other than new. My first ever car which is entirely new so looking forward to it.

I would also like to praise the customer service I have received. from Andy Barratt, the regional sales person of my local main dealer I was in contact with down to the sales person I have been in contact with to finalise the deal, everyone has been brilliant and special thanks to Mr Barratt for sourcing me a car. The buying experience so far with social distancing has been great and I have been kept informed at every stage.

KenL

KenL
  • Club Member
  • 1033 posts
Please let us know how an ST3 could be cheaper than an ST2. Sounds interesting.

And...do you work for Andy Barrat?😁

Jammie Dodger

Jammie Dodger
  • Forum User
  • 13 posts
No I dont work for him 😂 he just sorted me out with a great deal.

tonyfst

tonyfst
  • Forum User
  • 133 posts
  • Tony
  • Chelmsford
I was unaware ST production had stopped, but I was fearing this may happen.

The reason is 2021 EU CO2 targets that manufacturers have to meet or face crippling fines. The Fiesta ST CO2 level is way above the target, so an obvious car to cut along with the Focus ST. Ive heard the Mustang's days in the UK could also be numbered sadly, incase anyone is sitting on the fence.

This article explains..

https://www.google.c...-limits-europe/
  • ST3spin and Dogtanian like this

DarrenST

DarrenST
  • Club Member
  • 328 posts
I see a hybrid ST on the horizon... Already in the ST line I suppose. I wonder what the price increase will be in that case.
  • Richyharrison04 likes this

Daysleepers

Daysleepers
  • Club Member
  • 157 posts
  • Fred
  • North Essex
I didnt realise the new targets were that strict. The old 100ps eco post only just scraped under 100g/km. There is simply no way you could base your models around ICE engines and hit those targets whilst maintaining safety. Too heavy to sell anything bigger than a fiesta.

Hybrids seem to help, but I think the tests will change, because anyone who us spent any time in a hybrid will know that the mpg is nowhere near the imaginary figures shared by manufacturers.

Perhaps this will let the MK8 ST will become the classic many of us dream of. The best of the last hot hatches. Keep your PEs shiny folks.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

joshyy123, MarksST, EmilioST, s1monem