BTCC talk 2020 - Media | Sport | TV & Film - Fiesta ST Owners Club

BTCC talk 2020

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Nige t

Nige t
  • Club Member
  • 83 posts
I'm looking forward to the start of this year's BTCC. Even without Plato, Jordan and fans, it's still a strong driver line up and ITV4 coverage should make great viewing.
Role on Sunday.
  • SpencerSooro likes this

K3FUS

K3FUS
  • Forum User
  • 1307 posts

Actually I disagree, too many pay to drive entries replacing decent drivers throughout the grid. 

I can promise you Dan Cammish will win the title, cash is strapped this year and Mr Neal Sr hasn’t won for too long, so strings will be pulled (and boost limits reduced).

Nige t

Nige t
  • Club Member
  • 83 posts
I thought yesterday was a great day's racing from Donnington.
Ash Sutton looked like a man on a mission.
Good to have the BTCC back.
  • K3FUS likes this

K3FUS

K3FUS
  • Forum User
  • 1307 posts

I thought yesterday was a great day's racing from Donnington.
Ash Sutton looked like a man on a mission.
Good to have the BTCC back.

Good racing, will Sutton be as quick with weight on next week?

Nige t

Nige t
  • Club Member
  • 83 posts
I hope so, I think Ash Sutton has always been a great racing driver. He got some amazing results out of the Subaru in recent years, far better than Plato ever did.
I don't know if he can change and just take decent points instead of always going for the win?
  • K3FUS likes this

Tim

Tim
  • Club Member
  • 1604 posts
  • Tim
  • North pole

I have to disagree about Ash Sutton, I think he's arrogant and always has a chip on his shoulder. Doesn't do himself justice on camera and just seems like he's the man all the time.

Look at his driving, must go for every half gap, rather than waiting and making it clean. I don't like his driving style, he punts people and bounces half off the circuit against another driver to make a corner, then complains when a train of cars bump into him. I liked when Plato gave him a taste of his own medicine last season. Very similar to Max in F1, a self centred idiot.

But apart from that it was good racing, shame that Hamilton made the gravel trap twice, I thought he quite the series all together after bailing out half season last time. Good to see the Civics and Focus's up there too!

K3FUS

K3FUS
  • Forum User
  • 1307 posts

I have to disagree about Ash Sutton, I think he's arrogant and always has a chip on his shoulder. Doesn't do himself justice on camera and just seems like he's the man all the time.

Look at his driving, must go for every half gap, rather than waiting and making it clean. I don't like his driving style, he punts people and bounces half off the circuit against another driver to make a corner, then complains when a train of cars bump into him. I liked when Plato gave him a taste of his own medicine last season. Very similar to Max in F1, a self centred idiot.

But apart from that it was good racing, shame that Hamilton made the gravel trap twice, I thought he quite the series all together after bailing out half season last time. Good to see the Civics and Focus's up there too!

Hamilton missed the last 2 meetings of last year, not half of them, to be frank it’s a pity he’s come back as he’s so far out of his depth, mind he’s not alone there.

Sutton is no more arrogant than any other race driver with a sniff of a win to be frank.

Tim

Tim
  • Club Member
  • 1604 posts
  • Tim
  • North pole

Hamilton missed the last 2 meetings of last year, not half of them, to be frank it’s a pity he’s come back as he’s so far out of his depth, mind he’s not alone there.

Sutton is no more arrogant than any other race driver with a sniff of a win to be frank.

Absolutely, many have come through the formula's to get a drive in BTCC, Camish from Porsche and the younger ones from Ginetta's and FF etc. And Plato made a point in an interview last year about why he has a drive and the younger upstarts didn't, commercially viable or something along them lines. But then the young ones are doing that now, but in a car that is a big step up from what they are used to. Anyone who meets the financial criteria can play, just takes some getting used to. Give it a few races and they'll have all warmed their brains back into race mode and be better.

Sutton from the back of the grid versus Turkington from the back of the grid, Sutton will force things more than others and then cry if he gets a nudge back,. Whereas Turkington has better race craft and has a lot more respect from it. Sure it's BTCC and rubbing is racing, but to force a gap by surfing the curbs is foul play in my eyes.

• K3FUS likes this

K3FUS

K3FUS
  • Forum User
  • 1307 posts

Absolutely, many have come through the formula's to get a drive in BTCC, Camish from Porsche and the younger ones from Ginetta's and FF etc. And Plato made a point in an interview last year about why he has a drive and the younger upstarts didn't, commercially viable or something along them lines. But then the young ones are doing that now, but in a car that is a big step up from what they are used to. Anyone who meets the financial criteria can play, just takes some getting used to. Give it a few races and they'll have all warmed their brains back into race mode and be better.

Sutton from the back of the grid versus Turkington from the back of the grid, Sutton will force things more than others and then cry if he gets a nudge back,. Whereas Turkington has better race craft and has a lot more respect from it. Sure it's BTCC and rubbing is racing, but to force a gap by surfing the curbs is foul play in my eyes.

Turkington is is a league above the rest, he always has been in my opinion, for the reasons you’ve said.

Nige t

Nige t
  • Club Member
  • 83 posts
I agree Turkington is a great racing driver. He knows that you don't always have to go for the win, you just need to keep out of trouble, no kamikaze moves, always consistent and take good points from each race.

Tim

Tim
  • Club Member
  • 1604 posts
  • Tim
  • North pole

Dan Camish has similar race craft, coming from Porsche's - a pretty much non contact formula with great discipline and full of actual racers and not banger racers. I think the older drivers have the better craft with the experience, as you say to just sit and wait and collect points as and when, but the young ones think that they'll get noticed more by winning every time.

• K3FUS and Nige t like this

Nige t

Nige t
  • Club Member
  • 83 posts
I agree about Dan Camish and I think he has the potential to win the BTCC.
I believe he was mentored by Tim Harvey, who knows a bit about winning races.
Roll on tomorrow.

K3FUS

K3FUS
  • Forum User
  • 1307 posts

Dan Camish has similar race craft, coming from Porsche's - a pretty much non contact formula with great discipline and full of actual racers and not banger racers. I think the older drivers have the better craft with the experience, as you say to just sit and wait and collect points as and when, but the young ones think that they'll get noticed more by winning every time.

I agree, though Plato and Neal still hail from the nudge or smash to pass days.

Nige t

Nige t
  • Club Member
  • 83 posts
Another great days racing from a very hot Brands Hatch today. Shame about all the punctures!
The new Focus ST is looking very impressive straight out of the box.

K3FUS

K3FUS
  • Forum User
  • 1307 posts

Another great days racing from a very hot Brands Hatch today. Shame about all the punctures!
The new Focus ST is looking very impressive straight out of the box.

Id say the set up was wrong on Butchers ST, 1 puncture is unlucky but 2 and he had a very strong turn in....too strong. Pity as it took something away from the day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users