Exhaust advice

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

jaybee

jaybee
  • Club Member
  • 11 posts

Hi all,

Just working my way through the performance mods and need some guidance with regards exhaust upgrades. I have bought a Milltek flexi pipe and a Toyosports manifold. I know everyone will say the manifold is no good (this may well be the case) but it was cheap...  Obviously there is a difference in the build quality of the items. My question is should I go ahead and fit the parts that I have or should I bite the bullet and buy a Milltek manifold and sell off the items I have.   I know the Milltek manifold will fit correctly and offer the best performance, but what other negatives might there be with fitting the the parts I have. If we are talking just a couple of BHP then it might be worth sticking with what I have?? 

Question 2, What sort of BHP gain is there in fitting a sports cat over the original cat?  The branded ones are expensive, any other options? I want to run a cat not a de-cat system

Question 3, how restrictive is the rest of the original system? from what I've read the manifold / flexi are the biggest restrictions. I guess I'm looking at doing the impossible by trying to get max BHP without spending a fortune,........ All advice welcome. I have already fitted a K+N intake.

Thanks for your time, JB

###simon###

###simon###
  • Club Member
  • 2395 posts
  • Bishops Cleeve

There is a bhp chart on here somewhere with every imaginable mix of mods and there outcome, I’m sure that whatever you want to fit it would of been done before.

Tuning a N/A car isn’t cheap, a full exhaust inc cat, manifold & remap and filter will see you around 175 bhp. This will transform the car and for most its enough.

Sethorion

Sethorion
  • Club Member
  • 67 posts

I'm curious about the Toyosports system too. Their website shows that they make a huge range of exhausts for many different cars so they must have some skill.

If people here say the Toyosports manifold offers better flow (for power) and noise then I may get it.

jase_llan

jase_llan
  • Club Member
  • 1113 posts
I'd say if you already have the manifold and can fit it yourself, just do so - if it's no good, swap for a Milltek but it won't have cost you anything.

_jimmy_

_jimmy_
  • Club Member
  • 1866 posts
The standard manifold collector is quite rudimentary so I can't imagine the toyosport being any worse than standard. The biggest uncertainty for me would be the longevity of the welds for cracks.

The manifold is supposedly quite hard to fit so not really something you want to have to be doing twice. I dont think there are really any figures on these lesser-known brands but that's not to say they aren't any good. My gut feeling... it should be fine.
  • jase_llan likes this

jase_llan

jase_llan
  • Club Member
  • 1113 posts
@_jimmy_ I have a Toyosports downpipe on the track car which has held up so far, so I agree that it should be okay.

jaybee

jaybee
  • Club Member
  • 11 posts

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated. I've decided to fit what I have as well as ordering a sports cat so I can fit them all in one go. The car is only used on weekend and I might do the odd track day so we'll see how the manifold lasts. 

Do you think that keeping the rest of the original system will cause much of a restriction to the exhaust flow or should it be okay for now? 

Any thoughts on mapping or buying a plug in mapping thing? Good? not worth it? I was not planning of fitting cams but, who knows, once you start going down the tuning route it sort of becomes a bit of a challenge to see what you can achieve.

Ta JB

###simon###

###simon###
  • Club Member
  • 2395 posts
  • Bishops Cleeve

I would recommend the Dreamscience maps to any mk6 owner all day long, they perform as expected time and time again.

jaybee

jaybee
  • Club Member
  • 11 posts

Thanks for the advice ref Dreamscience maps. Excuse my ignorance but if I get to the stage where I decide all modifications are done and had it mapped live on a dyno wouldn't that give a more accurate custom tune for my specific car?  Not sure what a dyno setup costs these days? The Dreamscience unit seems to be £400 - £500 ish  

Or is the DS plug in map clever enough to work with my specific car ?? Help me out as I'm not 100% sure how they work. Previously any tuning stuff I have had done (other cars and bikes) has been done live on a dyno. I think I paid about £350 last time I had a car re mapped, I was quite a while ago though.....

JB

###simon###

###simon###
  • Club Member
  • 2395 posts
  • Bishops Cleeve

It all depends on how far you plan to go, filter & a full exhaust with manifold and sports cat will see 175 and can be run on there hyper r map. If you want to go cams go over to see DS and they will live map there hyper r map to your car, that’s also the same if you then decide to swap out your inlet manifold.

jaybee

jaybee
  • Club Member
  • 11 posts

That's great. Thanks for the info. Looks like that is the way to go then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users