EVO mag Ford Racing Puma vs Clio Trophy - Page 2 - Other Marque | Automotive Discussion - Fiesta ST Owners Club

EVO mag Ford Racing Puma vs Clio Trophy

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

ST3spin

ST3spin
  • Club Member
  • 5250 posts

Yep the Puma engines (all of them) are especially susceptible to damage especially the special cylinder coating. Most owners sites warn owners not to leave them un-run for any length of time - the main reason I plan on getting my engine totally stripped prior to getting the car back on the road.

@jase_llan will be able to help you with stripping down that engine @MickyD he's a proper wizard with this sort of thing :ninja:
  • MickyD likes this

mjcapri

mjcapri
  • Club Member
  • 98 posts

Yep the Puma engines (all of them) are especially susceptible to damage especially the special cylinder coating. Most owners sites warn owners not to leave them un-run for any length of time - the main reason I plan on getting my engine totally stripped prior to getting the car back on the road.

I used to change the oil and filter twice a year on the GF’s Puma for that reason; for what it took to do it was worth it even if was belt and braces. It was going strong when she sold it after 110k so they can be long lived, loads won’t have been looked after though inevitably.... You’ll have a nice weekend toy when it’s back on the road.

jase_llan

jase_llan
  • Club Member
  • 1097 posts
@ST3spin not a chance, I take engines out but not apart for fear of what I might find inside :ph34r: On the other hand, if the 1.7 isn't brisk enough then it should also be a reasonably straight swap to the 1.6 Ecoboost...
  • ST3spin and Defender like this

PaulG

PaulG
  • Club Member
  • 230 posts

Nikasil linings I seem to recall. BMW made an even worse job of it...

Oh yes! Nice. 

• jase_llan likes this

_jimmy_

_jimmy_
  • Club Member
  • 1844 posts
Sounds as though the Puma had potential to be legendary if only it had been given more power, but sounds like it was underpowered like the other Fords from the era like the ST170 and ST150. If only they'd had one good power engine they could have used it in multiple applications. There was the 2 litre turbo in the RS though.
  • MickyD and mpeb like this

PaulG

PaulG
  • Club Member
  • 230 posts

Sounds as though the Puma had potential to be legendary if only it had been given more power, but sounds like it was underpowered like the other Fords from the era like the ST170 and ST150. If only they'd had one good power engine they could have used it in multiple applications. There was the 2 litre turbo in the RS though.

The Puma was used in Rallying (S1600 and Junior WRC, I think) so the wider arches etc helped there. 1600 spec was around 200bhp and 900KG - I know tuners of the time (Pumabuild and Pumaspeed?) offered options to around 200bhp with some lumpy cams. One or two got a Mk1 Focus RS lump shoved in, and then there is the Puma that was essentially a Cossie underneath, complete with 4WD.

MickyD

MickyD

"Race Red Owner"

• Club Member
  • 5750 posts

It was meant to have been turbocharged.... but they ran out of funds, if it had been then along with its handling it would probably still be keeping Mk7 & Mk8 STs honest!!
  • mjcapri likes this

mjcapri

mjcapri
  • Club Member
  • 98 posts

It was meant to have been turbocharged.... but they ran out of funds, if it had been then along with its handling it would probably still be keeping Mk7 & Mk8 STs honest!!

If it had been turbocharged it would have been an absolute weapon even today. I really wish the Puma Cosworth had been produced, I wonder what they’d be worth today? I’m almost certain that I’d have one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users