Drive shaft intermediate bearing - Fiesta ST MK6 Discussion - Fiesta ST Owners Club

Drive shaft intermediate bearing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

krugman

krugman
  • Forum User
  • 6 posts
  • Kevin
  • Birmingham

I have just replaced the oil seal on the drivers side drive shaft, the car has only done 70k! but there is major oil leak there.

I noticed that the intermediate support bearing is free to side along the drive shaft and so there is nothing to retain the shaft fully within the final drive and I am thinking this might be why I have got the oil leak. 

Should the bearing be retained on the shaft in some way, I thought it would be press fitted or something.

Sethorion

Sethorion
  • Club Member
  • 67 posts

You mean this badboy?

https://www.fiestafa...194345-jpg.368/

EDIT:

This bit.

krugman

krugman
  • Forum User
  • 6 posts
  • Kevin
  • Birmingham

Yes, that's the one. Should the shaft be able to slide in and out, or should that bearing be a tight fit on the shaft? 

Sethorion

Sethorion
  • Club Member
  • 67 posts
Tight fit

Sethorion

Sethorion
  • Club Member
  • 67 posts
The bearing cap should be holding the outer bearing race firmly in position.

Is the bearing slack in its mount?

_jimmy_

_jimmy_
  • Club Member
  • 1864 posts
That bearing was very worn when I had the driveshaft changed due to a leaking gaiter

krugman

krugman
  • Forum User
  • 6 posts
  • Kevin
  • Birmingham

The bearing is not slack in its mount, however, the bearing is free to slide along the shaft (Or rather the shaft is free to slide within the bearing) meaning there is no positive location of the drive shaft, it can slide up and down the splines in the final drive. Thinking I shall put a jubilee clip on the drive shaft on either side of the bearing. It shouldn't have to withstand much force, the drive shaft lengthening/shortening as a result of suspension travel should be taken up within the inner CV joint cup.

Tight fit

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

_jimmy_

_jimmy_
  • Club Member
  • 1864 posts
Aftermarket driveshafts are fairly cheap if you ever wanted to get it sorted

Gldn

Gldn
  • Forum User
  • 2 posts

I fitted a J&R driver side driveshaft which cost £33 off eBay lool, not sure how long it will last considering it was so cheap. Working fine so far though (1 week in).

_jimmy_

_jimmy_
  • Club Member
  • 1864 posts

I fitted a J&R driver side driveshaft which cost £33 off eBay lool, not sure how long it will last considering it was so cheap. Working fine so far though (1 week in).

Same one I have, its lasted 5 years and about 40k miles so far
  • Sethorion likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users