New ST Owner.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

LukeyP

LukeyP
  • Club Member
  • 2 posts

Afternoon all,

Took ownership of this little beauty on Tuesday. 

Attached File  ST.jpg   213.97KB   0 downloads

I have a couple of questions if I may;

1) What sort of things should I look at replacing at this mileage (79k)

2) I can hear a faint whine when letting off the throttle - should I be worried? I know these STs had gearbox issues but presumed they were on the earlier models

Thanks

• kaxe, MickyD and Jas like this

mart.

mart.
  • Club Member
  • 375 posts
Welcome. Looks clean.

Main thing would be to just give it a good service. PAS fluid probably needs changing if not cherry red. Check bushes etc as not so much on mileage but time they may be starting to perish.

All ST can suffer with gearbox just depends how they have been looked after.

LukeyP

LukeyP
  • Club Member
  • 2 posts

Thanks Mart.

It just had a full service in May and everything changed apart from the PAS fluid. I opened that up yesterday and although previous owner had changed it a few times in the last few years, it looks black again to be honest.

Jas

Jas
  • Club Member
  • 55 posts

Looks nice  :thumbsup:

mart.

mart.
  • Club Member
  • 375 posts

Thanks Mart.

It just had a full service in May and everything changed apart from the PAS fluid. I opened that up yesterday and although previous owner had changed it a few times in the last few years, it looks black again to be honest.

In that case I would get a relocation or cooler added to help with that not going black again.

Vulpes

Vulpes
  • Club Member
  • 53 posts
At that mileage, watch the oil consumption. The piston rings are probably shot, common on all Duratecs.

Sethorion

Sethorion
  • Club Member
  • 75 posts

At that mileage, watch the oil consumption. The piston rings are probably shot, common on all Duratecs.

Mine has 78k miles and it doesn't burn oil; the oil is still clean after a complete change a few hundred miles back.

Vulpes

Vulpes
  • Club Member
  • 53 posts
Obviously there are exceptions.

But it is a common problem on these engines.

Have a Google and you'll see.

kaxe

kaxe
  • Forum User
  • 1211 posts

Love a Mk6... :wub:

Enjoy! :nice: 

Reesy93

Reesy93
  • Club Member
  • 18 posts
Welcome buddy 👍

MickyD

MickyD

"Race Red Owner"

• Club Member
  • 5903 posts

Afternoon all,

Took ownership of this little beauty on Tuesday. 

attachicon.gifST.jpg

I have a couple of questions if I may;

1) What sort of things should I look at replacing at this mileage (79k)

2) I can hear a faint whine when letting off the throttle - should I be worried? I know these STs had gearbox issues but presumed they were on the earlier models

Thanks

Welcome and hope you enjoy, to answer...

1. It depends, it looks very well looked after so who knows everything that might need replacing ... may have already been replaced, only you will now from a visual inspection of condition.

2. I would be worried as that means your exhaust ain't loud enough!!!!! buy a better exhaust and you won't hear the whine anymore... problem solved!!!  :nice:*

*might also be worth thinking about changing the gearbox oil??? probably has never been changed in its lifetime and it made my Mk7 sound better...

NemesisST

NemesisST
  • Club Member
  • 237 posts
  • Matt
  • Thurrock

I'd be looking at things attached to the aux belt for whines in the 1st instance. Then PAS fluid and/or pump next. All common stuff and fairly cheap repairs.

Mine's on 57k now and has been bulletproof in the 6 years I've owned her. Has always started 1st time even in the 18 months since having inlet/cams/remap. Repairs are cheap. Just give her a full service and you should be good. AFAIK timing chain is the only non-standard service item but only after 100k. 

The only non-service type repairs I've needed in 6 years are:

- PAS high pressure hoses (most expensive job)

- Suspension drop links (fairly cheap DIY replacement)

- Front suspension top mounts (didn't have equipment to do it myself but local garage was cheap)

- Water pump + thermostat (again cheap if you avoid main dealers)

- Boot release motor (got a used one from a Ford Fusion at a scrappy, cheap fix)

- Rear exhaust heat shield (bolt holes rust out causing it to flap about. Big washers fix that)

- PCV hose (they tend to split but only spotted mine was shot when I swapped out the inlet manifold).

That's it. Pretty good going! Couple of times on cold start recently it hasn't fired on all cylinders, needing a restart. So going to replace the coil pack + HT leads as I'm fairly sure they're original. 

Oh and the paint is peeling off both front wheels, good excuse for a new colour I guess  :laughing:

• Sethorion likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users