I'd be looking at things attached to the aux belt for whines in the 1st instance. Then PAS fluid and/or pump next. All common stuff and fairly cheap repairs.
Mine's on 57k now and has been bulletproof in the 6 years I've owned her. Has always started 1st time even in the 18 months since having inlet/cams/remap. Repairs are cheap. Just give her a full service and you should be good. AFAIK timing chain is the only non-standard service item but only after 100k.
The only non-service type repairs I've needed in 6 years are:
- PAS high pressure hoses (most expensive job)
- Suspension drop links (fairly cheap DIY replacement)
- Front suspension top mounts (didn't have equipment to do it myself but local garage was cheap)
- Water pump + thermostat (again cheap if you avoid main dealers)
- Boot release motor (got a used one from a Ford Fusion at a scrappy, cheap fix)
- Rear exhaust heat shield (bolt holes rust out causing it to flap about. Big washers fix that)
- PCV hose (they tend to split but only spotted mine was shot when I swapped out the inlet manifold).
That's it. Pretty good going! Couple of times on cold start recently it hasn't fired on all cylinders, needing a restart. So going to replace the coil pack + HT leads as I'm fairly sure they're original.
Oh and the paint is peeling off both front wheels, good excuse for a new colour I guess