17 replies to this topic

seanym007

seanym007
  • Club Member
  • 27 posts
  • Sean
  • Gateshead

Hi,

My mate has just bought a 6 year old BMW M3 - its the last V6 one, so pretty tasty. Anyway, he took me for a spin in it, and for the first 15mins tootled about, barely getting out of 3rd gear.. Perplexed (and slightly worried) I asked him why he didn;t just release all 500 horses! He advised that performance cars need to be warmed up for a bit before going full whack, and that actually i should be doing the same in my Fizz ST. Now, I'm not going to pretent my 1.5 ST2 is even close to the same league as his 3L V6, BUT it is a tuned engine? So should I be taking it easy, or actually totally fine to hoof it from a cold start.. Thanks!

Sean M

DarrenST

DarrenST
  • Club Member
  • 408 posts
Warm it up to around 70c on the oil and you'll be fine, that's about 3 mins after the coolant hits temp in the needle.

You definitely should be warming the car up but the effects won't be seen until 5+ years down the line.

Luke_77

Luke_77
  • Club Member
  • 2085 posts

@seanym007 regardless if it’s a performance car or not, should really wait for it to get up to temperature before giving it the full beans

Do athletes turn up to an event/training and just crack on? No, they warm up first up to try and prevent injuries. Same approach should be when driving a car from a cold start

• AMc, MickyD, invisible1955 and 2 others like this

Manny

Manny
  • Club Member
  • 245 posts

I always take it easy for the first 5 miles before pushing it.

• Justcos likes this

kaxe

kaxe
  • Forum User
  • 1202 posts

Yeah I used to have an A Class A45 AMG and the temps showed as blue and then switched to grey to let you know it was safe to give it full beans... :yep:

On the dash screen that applied to: Engine Temp, Oil Temp & Gearbox Temp... :yep:
:woohoo: :nice:

StiggyTheST

StiggyTheST
  • Club Member
  • 885 posts
You warm a car up so that its got heat in the oil and that the oil is moving around the engine protecting components that rub together.

Also your warming up the brakes and tyres to enable them to work more effectively.

The V8 I'm guessing M3 is normally aspirated and revs high plus it suffers badly from engine wear or if your talking about the turbo versions the oil is used to cool the turbo as it is in an ST so getting it warm lessens wear.

ZoSo

ZoSo
  • Forum User
  • 72 posts

I always wait until coolant temp up to normal which takes about 3 miles of restraint.

odd though on the focus ST,s l had ,with the row of gauges on top of the dash ,Coolant temp would come up very quickly but oil temp was 5 or 10 minus behind it.

AMc

AMc

'Mk7 Noob'

• Club Staff
  • 23049 posts
There is a reason race cars do warm up laps etc...

Also a lot of newer cars, new M3/M4 for example, don't allow you to rev high until it has warmed up, physically restricts you... The digital dials show the red line increase as the temps rise.

As above, giving it full beans from cold is so mechanically unsympathetic, you will suffer issues soon if you carry on. Head gasket at the least I'd imagine.
  • KenL likes this

mjcapri

mjcapri
  • Club Member
  • 99 posts

Hi,

My mate has just bought a 6 year old BMW M3 - its the last V6 one, so pretty tasty. Anyway, he took me for a spin in it, and for the first 15mins tootled about, barely getting out of 3rd gear.. Perplexed (and slightly worried) I asked him why he didn;t just release all 500 horses! He advised that performance cars need to be warmed up for a bit before going full whack, and that actually i should be doing the same in my Fizz ST. Now, I'm not going to pretent my 1.5 ST2 is even close to the same league as his 3L V6, BUT it is a tuned engine? So should I be taking it easy, or actually totally fine to hoof it from a cold start.. Thanks!

Sean M

As the others have said, you definitely don’t want to be hoofing it from cold! That applies to any car, performance or otherwise. It’s not just to allow the oil to do its job but because tolerances within engine components change as it warms up. At the very least you want the coolant to reach it’s normal operating temperature, but in the RS I wait for the oil temperature to increase a bit as well. Obviously the Fiesta doesn’t have an an oil temperature gauge but I know how far I get in the RS so I just wait until that point, not very scientific but better than nothing. I know some of us have differences of opinion on running in a new engine, but I think everybody would agree that caning a cold engine is a no-no....
  • MickyD, Defender and Rowan like this

MickyD

MickyD

"Race Red Owner"

• Club Member
  • 5876 posts

No disrespect meant to the OP but when I was asked why - "I bought a Mk8 PE when I was so enamoured with my Mk7 MR230?" when it was written off....

This answers the question.... I would not want to ever buy a performance car that had been treated in this way and would think the turbo life has been decreased by a good few K... which is why I always buy new

To be honest though it is not just performance cars, a colleague at work bought a nearly new Nissan cashcow and last week his oil went from good to empty overnight with Nissan now trying to blame him for not checking the oil and letting it run oil starved. From the description of the sounds is is making, not only has the turbo blown but the sudden loss of oil has also destroyed the engine and the car now sounds like a box of spanners, but when asked further about the car that is only a couple/few years old he said Nissan had to change the brakes and tyres all round when he bought it and it has a lot of stone chips on the front end to me indication on such a low milage car that it had been treated like it was stolen from day one, possible because the original purchaser got the car on PCP so didn't give a :censored:. So it just proves it isn't just performance cars but all cars.

• mjcapri, ST3spin, Darran and 3 others like this

_jimmy_

_jimmy_
  • Club Member
  • 1866 posts
In my experience you tend to wait a little longer when you have an oil temp gauge that's showing cold. I'd guess the M3 has a gearbox temp gauge as well. Engine oil temp only starts to register once the coolant is around normal temp and gearbox oil temp even longer.

rdvil

rdvil
  • Club Member
  • 283 posts
  • Aki
When I got my first motorcycle (125cc), I just revved it up and down the dirt road since I didn't have a license yet. The sight of the piston & cylinder after my idiotic abuse was etched so deep, it's just about impossible for me to floor anything when it's cold. Even a rental.

When we're talking about mechanical sympathy or neglect we tend to assume that other people share the basic understanding of physics as they apply to mechanical things with fine tolerances and large thermal gradients, but I'd hazard that the majority of motorists are blissfully ignorant, instead of careless or unsympathetic. If you've never loved and fixed a 2-stroke or whatever, how would you learn if not by asking.

So yeah, good topic Sean. Hope this has been educational.
  • mjcapri, MickyD, StiggyTheST and 1 other like this

seanym007

seanym007
  • Club Member
  • 27 posts
  • Sean
  • Gateshead

Thanks all  :nice: Defintely learned something today! Guess you just take for granted that the power is all there from the off, you're not really think of the consequences further down. As I plan to have my ST for a while (absolutely love it), i'll be sure to treat her a little nicer  :thumbsup:

As they say, Everyday is a school day!

• ST3spin, DarrenST, MickyD and 2 others like this

DarrenST

DarrenST
  • Club Member
  • 408 posts
@rdvil remember the phrase "don't be gentle it's a rental" 😂
  • ST3spin and MickyD like this

Jules59

Jules59
  • Club Member
  • 90 posts

Hi,

Sean M

Point of order :laugh:  - there were no V6 M3s - they were all straight (in-line) 6 cylinder engines except the E30 which was a 4 cylinder and the E90 which was a V8   https://en.wikipedia...i/BMW_M3#Engine

• mjcapri, _jimmy_, seanym007 and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Rs zippy