Full system fitted....what comes next? - Fiesta ST MK6 Discussion - Fiesta ST Owners Club

Full system fitted....what comes next?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

jaybee

jaybee
  • Club Member
  • 12 posts

Sorry if I'm the only one that doesn't know this but... I started with a standard Mk6, fitted a K+N induction kit, upgraded discs and pads plus super grippy tyres. The car goes well, but I wanted more. I've just fitted a full exhaust system inc Milltek manifold, sports cat and the the rest of the 'performance' exhaust system. Stick with me, I will get to the point...

I have read somewhere about the ECU 'self learning' do I need to do anything to make this happen or does it just happen, and if so when? The reason for asking the question is that apart from more noise I cant say that I can feel any real difference in the way it goes after the exhaust upgrade. I have only covered about 10 miles since fitting the full system. Do I need to do more miles for the ECU to self learn or am I barking up the wrong tree? 

Is it a case of now I have the hardware fitted I need to get it mapped to make it perform? I'm not planning on any other performance mods but would like to make the most of what I have. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

JB

jase_llan

jase_llan
  • Club Member
  • 1128 posts
@jaybee if you're not planning on getting any other power mods, definitely get it mapped - the 'self learning' will just stop the engine running badly (i.e. it should add fuel to account for the extra airflow given by the K&N) but will not make the most of the modifications.

A friend of mine had a car the same spec as yours without a map, whereas mine had the Mountune MP165 kit so came with their map - the friend felt a huge difference in mine compared to his.

###simon###

###simon###
  • Club Member
  • 2400 posts
  • Bishops Cleeve

Get it mapped, will make such a difference.

• jase_llan likes this

jaybee

jaybee
  • Club Member
  • 12 posts

Excellent. Looks like mapping is the way to go. Thanks for the advice.

JB

kaxe

kaxe
  • Forum User
  • 1211 posts

It's a slippery slope... Cams & a Map... then you'll want a Turbo or Supercharger Kit LOL! :rofl: :woohoo:

:cool:

• ST3spin and _jimmy_ like this

_jimmy_

_jimmy_
  • Club Member
  • 1889 posts
You have to remember that naturally aspirated gains are small gains compared to turboed engines.
Would have been good if the car had been turbo from factory in a way but on the other hand if you drive it like a hooligan it is plenty fast enough for most scenarios.

Marv_st

Marv_st
  • Club Member
  • 31 posts
Orrrrr... Bolt on an Eaton supercharger for crazy noises and hella fun.

Attached File  IMG_9428.JPG   97.59KB   0 downloads
  • ST3spin and _jimmy_ like this

NemesisST

NemesisST
  • Club Member
  • 237 posts
  • Matt
  • Thurrock

You're definitely at the top of that slippery slope. I've seen "I'm not planning on any other performance mods but would like to make the most of what I have."  many times before. I probably even said it myself  :laughing:

It's easy to say in hindsight (forgetting cost) but FF inlet + cams + remap is so perfect for the car that if you're planning on keeping hold of her for a bit I'd highly recommend saving the pennies for it. Turning the Mk6 ST into a 200hp EP3 spanker isn't something I'll ever regret.

jaybee

jaybee
  • Club Member
  • 12 posts

Lots of good advice, thank you.

I have to keep the mods to a realistic level with the ST. I would love to have 200+ BHP but I my thinking is that I might have been better off starting from a different place if I want even more performance.... IE turbo car.

I built a Toyota MR2 Turbo some years back. Lots of cost = lots of go. I loved it. The ST is just going to be a fun weekend road car and possibly the odd track day. My good friend that has all the knowledge when it comes competition cars and automotive engineering said 'leave the engine alone, spend the money on making it handle....Oh, and learn to drive what you've got!'. I guess he's probably right but a bit more go has to be a good thing.....right? 

Lets see what it like once its mapped. Looking at the power chart I guess I might expect about 165?  ish, maybe??  I managed to squeeze a reliable 360 from my MR2, no traction control or modern electronic aids, great fun, only crashed once..

JB

• _jimmy_ likes this

_jimmy_

_jimmy_
  • Club Member
  • 1889 posts

It's easy to say in hindsight (forgetting cost) but FF inlet + cams + remap is so perfect for the car that if you're planning on keeping hold of her for a bit I'd highly recommend saving the pennies for it. Turning the Mk6 ST into a 200hp EP3 spanker isn't something I'll ever regret.

Tbf I did a timed sprint at Blyton and was beating Clios and Civics and that was just on cams and no inlet, but yes with the FF inlet its now pretty much spot on

mart.

mart.
  • Club Member
  • 376 posts
Can only echo what Jimmy said. When hammering my mountune 185 with cams around Blyton it surprised a lot of stuff because it had the power to match the handling on the right track. Great fun. I'm intrigued to see what difference my diff makes.

_jimmy_

_jimmy_
  • Club Member
  • 1889 posts

I'm intrigued to see what difference my diff makes.

Oh yeah, I have a quaife diff as well heh, was funny watching a 350z fishtailing in front of me before moving over as I was hassling it from behind.

jase_llan

jase_llan
  • Club Member
  • 1128 posts
@_jimmy_ 350Zs have an LSD though, or at least the GTs do.

AMc

AMc

'Mk7 Noob'

• Club Staff
  • 23070 posts
How many years back was the MR2?

Only asking as a neighbour had one about 15 or 20 so years back... Would be quite a coincidence if it was you :lol:

jaybee

jaybee
  • Club Member
  • 12 posts

How many years back was the MR2?

Only asking as a neighbour had one about 15 or 20 so years back... Would be quite a coincidence if it was you :lol:

I sold my MR2 about 12 years ago. A Red Mk2 Jap import Turbo. I'm in Cardiff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users