Disconnecting Battery and Stuck Terminal - Fiesta ST MK8 Discussion - Fiesta ST Owners Club

Disconnecting Battery and Stuck Terminal

Battery

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

AZ_ST

AZ_ST
  • Forum User
  • 3 posts

Hi Everyone,

I recently got a MK8 Fiesta ST, I've just got a trickle charger to keep the battery charged over lockdown. But I'm having some issues disconnecting the battery.

Firstly, the negative terminal is stuck on. The nut is loosened and the bolt is stripped at the end (it must have been done previously as I haven't touched it). Any advice getting it off? I would try to get a screwdriver in to wiggle it open but there's no room as the battery is quite far back and under the scuttle.

Secondly, I haven't seen a positive terminal like the one of the MK8 before (photo added), normally it's just a single bolt and nut you loosen and remove. Advice on removing that would be great, thanks.

Hopefully my next posts won't be about such basic maintenance! 

Attached Files

• Robertwip likes this

Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly
  • Forum User
  • 92 posts
There's no need to disconnect the battery whilst using a trickle charger. You can just attach the charger cables and leave everything in place.

My charger cables are permanently attached to the battery, with the end accessible from behind the towing eye socket. I just connect the end to the main trickle charger without even having to open the bonnet
  • Dogtanian and AZ_ST like this

Jimble

Jimble
  • Club Member
  • 53 posts

Noob question, I'm seeing a lot of mention of trickle chargers on the forum - is there an issue with the MK8 battery or alternator that makes them necessary?  I haven't touched a battery on my car since the early 90's and am wondering why so many people here are trickle charging....educate me please lol

Luke_77

Luke_77
  • Club Member
  • 2153 posts

Noob question, I'm seeing a lot of mention of trickle chargers on the forum - is there an issue with the MK8 battery or alternator that makes them necessary?  I haven't touched a battery on my car since the early 90's and am wondering why so many people here are trickle charging....educate me please lol

Grab a cuppa and have a play around with the search tool and you can educate yourself lol

I think the main issue is due to various lockdowns and owners not driving their cars 

• kenthammer likes this

Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly
  • Forum User
  • 92 posts

I can often go 3 or 4 weeks without moving my car. Plus I have dashcams with parking mode enabled, which would otherwise be switched off automatically after a day or so

Oliver

Oliver
  • Club Member
  • 225 posts
I have the lead for my charger and booster connected to the nut on the far left of your photo. All works fine.
  • AZ_ST likes this

AZ_ST

AZ_ST
  • Forum User
  • 3 posts

There's no need to disconnect the battery whilst using a trickle charger. You can just attach the charger cables and leave everything in place.

My charger cables are permanently attached to the battery, with the end accessible from behind the towing eye socket. I just connect the end to the main trickle charger without even having to open the bonnet

Great thanks, I'll do that.

I just need to figure out how to get the negative terminal off and replace the bolt

Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly
  • Forum User
  • 92 posts

Great thanks, I'll do that.

I just need to figure out how to get the negative terminal off and replace the bolt

I would suggest to remove the battery clamp which will allow you to slide the battery forwards so that you can gain better access.

Tip for when connecting the negative terminal of your trickle charger - where the battery earth strap is attached to the bodywork there's a very easy to access bolt that is a much better option for making the connection

AZ_ST

AZ_ST
  • Forum User
  • 3 posts

I would suggest to remove the battery clamp which will allow you to slide the battery forwards so that you can gain better access.

Tip for when connecting the negative terminal of your trickle charger - where the battery earth strap is attached to the bodywork there's a very easy to access bolt that is a much better option for making the connection

I'll give that a try tomorrow, thanks!

Jimble

Jimble
  • Club Member
  • 53 posts

I can often go 3 or 4 weeks without moving my car. Plus I have dashcams with parking mode enabled, which would otherwise be switched off automatically after a day or so

Ah makes sense, thanks

• Dick Dastardly likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users