New member - Fiesta ST MK8 Discussion - Fiesta ST Owners Club

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

crooky

crooky
  • Forum User
  • 4 posts

Hi all,

I recently took delivery of a 2018 ST3 purchased remotely from a Ford franchise dealer (150+miles from myself) and so far am pleased although the front passenger door protector snapped off first time I closed the door (dealer is sending me a new one.)

Apart from popping to the shops I haven't been able to take her out for a run (not an essential journey) plus the weathers been awful.

Anyway, I have 2 specific questions which I would welcome your views:

1. Vehicle has keyless entry which I wish to deactivate - I have been through the Settings - Vehicle Settings - Locks and there is no Keyfree option to select to either uncheck / check - has anyone experienced this and it be rectified by Ford with a software upgrade?

2. One of the tyres (passenger rear) is a Dunlop Sport Maxx whilst the other 3 are all Michelin Pilot Super Sport - my view is all 4 should be the same make / model or at least the same on each axle - this probably was an oversight by the dealer but before I contact them I welcome  your views

Many thanks,

Richard.

marketh

marketh
  • Forum User
  • 74 posts
  • Mark

Apparently the door edge protectors have a bad reputation for snapping, I've never had them myself but heard a lot about them breaking in some way or another.

The KeyFree setting should be where you're looking I think, unless it's moved in a software update at some point. Maybe have a dig around other parts of the settings menus.

I'd always recommend having the same tyres (preferably all bought at the same time too obviously) all round, but if it's just one, I wonder if the previous owner had a puncture and just replaced the one.

KenL

KenL
  • Club Member
  • 1411 posts
Was the car second hand? If yes, the previous owner maybe changed 1 tyre.
I only ever heard that you shouldn't mix tyres on the same axle so would look to sort that out.

Welcome BTW 👋

Fokky

Fokky
  • Forum User
  • 11 posts
He probably had a puncture and bought a Dunlop as Michelin PS are quite expensive. Maxx Sport is a pretty good tire if you are on a budget.

Keithsson

Keithsson
  • Club Member
  • 92 posts
Nothing to add to the above, just another welcome aboard 👋

Thepowerfulpotato

Thepowerfulpotato
  • Forum User
  • 312 posts
Mine came on 3 pilot super sports and 1 pilot sport 4. Dealer explained that one of the tyres was damaged getting it off the transporter.

For the price they'll pay for tyres, I'd be demanding all 4 the same. I did and they were more than happy to replace it. Granted I bought mine new, but if the dealer is serious about you as a customer they should swap it.

Familyman

Familyman
  • Club Member
  • 122 posts

id look at swapping the odd tyre, if you can find a pilot super sport replacement.

I had 4 x new dunlop sport max tyres on my s3 and although theyre ok, they fall a fair way short of the michelins imo, which means you could have inconsistent handling when cornering from one side to the other, because of differing grip levels.

If you cant find a pilot super sport, id be tempted to go for 2 x new ps4 so the axle has equal grip both ends. Unfortunately there isnt much choice in the standard tyre size but you can get ps4 in the correct size. You definitely dont want different sizes from front to back.

Oh and welcome.

crooky

crooky
  • Forum User
  • 4 posts

hi all and many thanks for your welcomes and comments on the tyres - I have tried to carry out a s/w update using my house wi-fi which was recognised whilst parked in the drive but the cars s/w update failed so maybe a visit to my local Ford dealer is needed.

DarrenST

DarrenST
  • Club Member
  • 473 posts
Welcome buddy 👍 is the dunlop a sport maxx or a sport maxx RT2? The latter is a decent tyre it wouldn't bother me really, I'm sure you'll be through them in no time anyway!

MickyD

MickyD

"Race Red Owner"

• Club Member
  • 6214 posts
@crooky welcome, for software updates I would check via your computer using you vin code. For tyres I would alway prefer the same tyres on an axle (I will accept different brands on each axle) I would also question if it has been replaced what’s the tread difference, if it is significantly different again this should certainly be changed by the dealer I would say.

Pauld

Pauld
  • Forum User
  • 13 posts

The tyres do not legally require to be the same make and you can mix different manufactured tyres on the same axle (confusion arises from the legislation stating that you cannot mix cross ply tyres and radial tyres on the same axel). The tyres need to be of the same size and speed rating. So this means that the dealer is not required to replace the tyre but they may do if you ask as a good will gesture but I seriously doubt they will.

• Dogtanian likes this

Darkmatter70

Darkmatter70
  • Club Member
  • 30 posts

Welcome Richard, Pauld is spot on with his comments.  Not sure I'd bother with deactivating keyless entry as any self respecting thief can reactivate it remotely. The price to pay for former membership of the EU. Even the location of the OBD port is specified by the EU.

• Dogtanian and Pauld like this

Rich_ST

Rich_ST
  • Club Member
  • 120 posts

Hi all,

I recently took delivery of a 2018 ST3 purchased remotely from a Ford franchise dealer (150+miles from myself) and so far am pleased although the front passenger door protector snapped off first time I closed the door (dealer is sending me a new one.)

Apart from popping to the shops I haven't been able to take her out for a run (not an essential journey) plus the weathers been awful.

Anyway, I have 2 specific questions which I would welcome your views:

1. Vehicle has keyless entry which I wish to deactivate - I have been through the Settings - Vehicle Settings - Locks and there is no Keyfree option to select to either uncheck / check - has anyone experienced this and it be rectified by Ford with a software upgrade?

2. One of the tyres (passenger rear) is a Dunlop Sport Maxx whilst the other 3 are all Michelin Pilot Super Sport - my view is all 4 should be the same make / model or at least the same on each axle - this probably was an oversight by the dealer but before I contact them I welcome  your views

Many thanks,

Richard.

Welcome to the club. :)

There isn’t an option to turn off Keyless entry on 2018my cars, they only introduced this on 2019my cars.

Gallego1968

Gallego1968
  • Club Member
  • 153 posts

Buenas dias

crooky

crooky
  • Forum User
  • 4 posts

Morning all and many thanks for all your helpful comments - I have carried out the latest software update and fyi DarrenST the Dunlop tyre is a  Sport Maxx RT2 so will leave it as is for the time being plus I have decided not to contact the dealer re:the tyre as they have been accommodating  on other matters - thanks Pauld.

• KenL and Pauld like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users