Help me with my Dilemma!!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

RCW

RCW
  • Forum User
  • 7 posts

Hello All

Just joined the forum and as per title, please can you help me with my car anxiety lol! Cuurently on my 2nd FT86 platform car this time a 19 BRZ. I should never have bought my current car as i never fell in love with my GT86 but did respect it. Both cars have never given me that cry with joy feeling though if you know what i mean and i find the BRZ a bit of an underteering pig out of the box where the 86 at least kept you with amused with oversteer even when you didn't want it! I'm 39 and started my RWD phase in my late 20's starting with Bimmers. I actually preferred those cars to the FT86 cars beleive it or not and made me appreciate RWD handling for the first time. I guess the twins have taught me even more about RWD too especially in the wet.

I started off of course though with FWD and then went onto my first Hot Hatch in my early 20s which to this day was the best car i've ever driven for pure thrills and lol joy and that car was the Clio 16v. God knows what the Williams was like! Bet you're thinking this guy is going on a bit but hear me out lol! I want to relive my youth and the closest car on sale today that is as close to them perhaps is the MK8 or maybe an I20N. I guess there are lighter alternatives but those are warm hatches rather than Hot if i'm correct on what's out there. I don't like the looks of the I20N so it would be the MK8 i'm interested in. The only thing that keeps stopping me from pulling the trigger though is when i read about ST vs GT86 or FWD vs RWD articles and they always say you can't beat a proper ground up sports car and the driving position, COG blah blah are all superior to a hatch. In my heart i still believe that properly setup Hot Hatch would be more fun as a road car 99% of the time then any sports car for road use and so my 16v proved. My heart says go for it but my head says it's probably rose tinted glasses and what i need is an M2 or a Cayman etc lol

Any advice would be most appreciated! Plus looks a cool Forum! :thumbsup:

AMc

AMc

'Mk7 Noob'

• Club Staff
  • 23445 posts
Many an owner have come "down" from Porsche, BMWs, GTRs etc and say the little Fiesta is a better drive on UK roads.

To me, that's case closed :lol:

I am sure many others will come along with opinions which both back mine and oppose it.

Best you can do for yourself is get a test drive and see for yourself. We're all different after all.

mr_skinny

mr_skinny
  • Club Member
  • 195 posts
  • Jon
I went mk7 > f-type > mk8.

As amazing as the Jag was, it was too much power for normal roads imo. ST is more fun to drive as you can wring it's neck more.

BLiTZ

BLiTZ
  • Club Member
  • 1290 posts
  • Ed
  • Selby
The biggest issue with modern performance cars is that you're breaking the law long before you find the limit (and most cases the fun). Even the ST is pushing motorway speeds at the top of 3rd. The difference however is the low speed playability. Throw it into a roundabout and you'll be grinning by the other side.

Don't let the fanboys fool you though, as much as they'll tell you they're one of the best handling cars of all time, they're not. The hard suspension means it can gets unsettled on bumpy roads and the light steering is devoid of feel. It's also a beam rear axle so does weird things from time to time. (Just last week I managed to get a full on tank slapper going on when I had to correct my line mid-corner to avoid an oncoming car that was too close to the centre of the road - I genuinely thought it was going to end up sideways)

Compared to my old EK9 I've never built the same trust in its handling, but for a modern car it's about as close as you're going to get to the hatches of the 80s and 90s.
  • millster likes this

RCW

RCW
  • Forum User
  • 7 posts

Thanks guys for the repiles! Yes of course a test drive is always the only way to find out. You can watch as many reviews as you like on Youtube but only a test will let you know. Interesting Blitz! I never found the beam rear on my valver to be an issue though and used to love the tripod feeling. I guess i know what you mean though in that there are much more capable hatch bu then the latest Meg uses beam if i'm correct. Mate of mines reckons i should ditch practicality and get a GP2 as he said they're just amazing to drive. Also heard that the MK8 has weird steering feel with a springy artificial return to centre if that rings true with you guys?

mr_skinny

mr_skinny
  • Club Member
  • 195 posts
  • Jon
Yes it does try to snap back to centre, I tend to notice it more in sport mode as the steering becomes heavier. You soon get used to it though.

rpm

rpm
  • Forum User
  • 11 posts

Hello All

Just joined the forum and as per title, please can you help me with my car anxiety lol! Cuurently on my 2nd FT86 platform car this time a 19 BRZ. I should never have bought my current car as i never fell in love with my GT86 but did respect it. Both cars have never given me that cry with joy feeling though if you know what i mean and i find the BRZ a bit of an underteering pig out of the box where the 86 at least kept you with amused with oversteer even when you didn't want it! I'm 39 and started my RWD phase in my late 20's starting with Bimmers. I actually preferred those cars to the FT86 cars beleive it or not and made me appreciate RWD handling for the first time. I guess the twins have taught me even more about RWD too especially in the wet.

I started off of course though with FWD and then went onto my first Hot Hatch in my early 20s which to this day was the best car i've ever driven for pure thrills and lol joy and that car was the Clio 16v. God knows what the Williams was like! Bet you're thinking this guy is going on a bit but hear me out lol! I want to relive my youth and the closest car on sale today that is as close to them perhaps is the MK8 or maybe an I20N. I guess there are lighter alternatives but those are warm hatches rather than Hot if i'm correct on what's out there. I don't like the looks of the I20N so it would be the MK8 i'm interested in. The only thing that keeps stopping me from pulling the trigger though is when i read about ST vs GT86 or FWD vs RWD articles and they always say you can't beat a proper ground up sports car and the driving position, COG blah blah are all superior to a hatch. In my heart i still believe that properly setup Hot Hatch would be more fun as a road car 99% of the time then any sports car for road use and so my 16v proved. My heart says go for it but my head says it's probably rose tinted glasses and what i need is an M2 or a Cayman etc lol

Any advice would be most appreciated! Plus looks a cool Forum! :thumbsup:

Hello and welcome!

IMHO a hot hatch cannot replace a purpose-built sports car. The driving position, weight balance, etc, simply aren't there.

But hot hatches make for amazing daily drivers. They're both fun and practical.

I personally like having both. A hot hatch as a daily, and a sports car for special occasions.

Keithsson

Keithsson
  • Club Member
  • 193 posts
In lockdown every occasion has been a special occasion 😔

As for the original question, sorry, I can't help. Far too many TLA's, it's a language I don't speak 🤔
  • Sloper likes this

Sloper

Sloper
  • Club Member
  • 31 posts

As for the original question, sorry, I can't help. Far too many TLA's, it's a language I don't speak 🤔

The relief! I thought it was just me 😄
  • Keithsson likes this

RCW

RCW
  • Forum User
  • 7 posts

Hello and welcome!

IMHO a hot hatch cannot replace a purpose-built sports car. The driving position, weight balance, etc, simply aren't there.

But hot hatches make for amazing daily drivers. They're both fun and practical.

I personally like having both. A hot hatch as a daily, and a sports car for special occasions.

Thanks and i think you nailed it! Hot hatches make the best dailys. I think if i want the feel of a Clio Williams then the only car that can give you that is a Clio Williams! :laughing:

• rpm likes this

Standaman94

Standaman94
  • Club Member
  • 386 posts
  • Stan
  • Colchester
I had a Clio Williams and imo the ST is very much a modern interpretation of that in terms of performance.

Of course the ST is bigger, heavier, more powerful but in relation to other cars on the market its right there. In sport mode, the steering feels just as pointed and responsive, the power delivery just as urgent without being uncontrollable, the rear end just as playful when you want it to be.

Like the Williams, the looks are subtle (excl gold wheels of course) and the interior feels just as pleasant.

Regarding weight and size, the Fiesta is so tight I think it makes up for the 30 years difference. Same goes for the engine aspiration, where the 2L lump was urgent but a lil slow to respond, the 1.5L Turbo is still urgent and lively with little/no turbo lag.

However the Williams was a product of a more wild time for cars and no modern car will have that same raw basics feel, the same narrow A pillars, the same tinny sound system, the familiar clacky dash buttons. What you do get is working heating/AC and a decent infotainment system hahah

Bravestarr

Bravestarr
  • Forum User
  • 6 posts

For what it's worth. I've just sold my Porsche Boxster S (987) so that I can get an ST. The Porsche has been great, it's fairly quick, has extraordinary balance and steering feel but it just isn't that much fun. There is no worthwhile way of tuning one without spending huge money nor many ways to make it handle better.

I had a series of front wheel drive cars before, Mitsubishi FTO Version R, Honda Integra DC5, Civic Type R FD2 and the truth for me at least is that front wheel drive or 4WD is much more fun on our roads than RWD. The consequences of mid engine and RWD on slippery roads can be pretty severe.

I want something that is perfectly suited to the B roads where I live and so I pick up my Fiesta ST (Performance pack) this coming Saturday. I can hardly wait....

• MickyD, KenL, Keithsson and 1 other like this

RCW

RCW
  • Forum User
  • 7 posts

I had a Clio Williams and imo the ST is very much a modern interpretation of that in terms of performance.

Of course the ST is bigger, heavier, more powerful but in relation to other cars on the market its right there. In sport mode, the steering feels just as pointed and responsive, the power delivery just as urgent without being uncontrollable, the rear end just as playful when you want it to be.

Like the Williams, the looks are subtle (excl gold wheels of course) and the interior feels just as pleasant.

Regarding weight and size, the Fiesta is so tight I think it makes up for the 30 years difference. Same goes for the engine aspiration, where the 2L lump was urgent but a lil slow to respond, the 1.5L Turbo is still urgent and lively with little/no turbo lag.

However the Williams was a product of a more wild time for cars and no modern car will have that same raw basics feel, the same narrow A pillars, the same tinny sound system, the familiar clacky dash buttons. What you do get is working heating/AC and a decent infotainment system hahah

Wow that's amazing you had a Williams!! When i read about the differences too that they made compared to my Valver it must have been such an amazing raw car which we'll never see again! Thanks for your post and it's really good that the FiST is close to how that car used to behave. I've decided that i'm going to wait for the i20n vs Fist comparisons as it could be the modern version of the 205 GTI vs Williams debate in that the i20N could be the modern day Williams as it's handling is setup a bit more serious than the FIST perhaps?

RCW

RCW
  • Forum User
  • 7 posts

For what it's worth. I've just sold my Porsche Boxster S (987) so that I can get an ST. The Porsche has been great, it's fairly quick, has extraordinary balance and steering feel but it just isn't that much fun. There is no worthwhile way of tuning one without spending huge money nor many ways to make it handle better.

I had a series of front wheel drive cars before, Mitsubishi FTO Version R, Honda Integra DC5, Civic Type R FD2 and the truth for me at least is that front wheel drive or 4WD is much more fun on our roads than RWD. The consequences of mid engine and RWD on slippery roads can be pretty severe.

I want something that is perfectly suited to the B roads where I live and so I pick up my Fiesta ST (Performave pack) this coming Saturday. I can hardly wait....

THIS!! My BRZ is technically a great handling car with low COG like your Boxter had with good balance but it's just not that fun to me where other people will tell you its amazing and they get such a buzz..I agree i think for UK roads a small hot hatch is the most fun you could have and happy for you that you're getting into an ST!!

• Bravestarr likes this

Bravestarr

Bravestarr
  • Forum User
  • 6 posts

THIS!! My BRZ is technically a great handling car with low COG like your Boxter had with good balance but it's just not that fun to me where other people will tell you its amazing and they get such a buzz..I agree i think for UK roads a small hot hatch is the most fun you could have and happy for you that you're getting into an ST!!

Apart from the element of fun the other reason that I've decided to get an ST is the options for tuning and personalisation are so much higher. For fairly modest sums you can make lots of changes and that is what I've always liked to do with my cars.

I'll put a post up over the weekend after I hve picked up the car and give some first impressions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users