Newbie needs reassurance please - Fiesta ST MK7 Discussion - Fiesta ST Owners Club

Newbie needs reassurance please

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Els

Els
  • Forum User
  • 5 posts

Hello. Hopefully, I will soon become a regular member of this group (and not in the needing mechanical/electical advice bits either!)

I currently run a little 1.25 Mk7 Fiesta, which I'm otherwise happy with and suits me well, but I seriously need more torque and better handling (live on rural twisty up/down roads) - and just feel like treating myself at long last - so have decided that I'm in the market for an ST as soon as one comes along. (Don't plan on engine modding it, btw.)

Was all giddy and set to rush out and look at a few (not that many around where I live, not in the the traditional Ford colour, anyway!) and then read about the recalls on the 1.6 and 1.0 ecoboost engines. Obviously worried me. Was wanting a 1.6 anyway, but just wondering if it's all a flash in the pan now as far as everyone's concerned, or is it's still a serious issue to take into consideration.

Been looking at 16 or 66 plates (I presume still Mk 7, please forgive me and move the post if it's Mk8) and those which I've checked have had no recall work done or outstanding.

Was it only the 2013-14/15 engines affected, and after that has the problem gone or been rectified in the factory? Are the engines in the later 1.6s as bulletproof as I'd like to hope they are, or are there things which I need to look out for when buying or as an owner? It won't be a high mileage vehicle, but it will be my main everyday one, and I do want something that's reliable and hasle-free (as much as any modern car can be).

If I saw a low mileage earlier plate with recall work done (vis head overheating, coolant sensor etc) would that be considered reliable?

Thanks for any advice, info etc.

alex98uk

alex98uk
  • Club Member
  • 2030 posts
  • Bristol

Engines are pretty much bullet proof other than the coolant recall. As you said, it was only '13-'14 plates affected. A full breakdown can be seen here:

http://dsportmag.com...njection-ccvtc/

That said, I would try and look for a car with the newer style coolant overflow and pipes. I've seen the original thin plastic tube style crack. You'll note how the newer version uses much thicker lines.

The old style looks like so:

post-96442-0-65528800-1532719054.jpeg

The new style looks like:

post-96442-0-82552200-1532719071.jpeg

• mpeb likes this

AMc

AMc

'Mk7 Noob'

• Club Staff
  • 23445 posts
What's funny though is that later builds have the same style as the top picture, mine does anyway... Which is a 16 plate new build, no recall required/pending.

So wouldn't say go by the type. You'll need to check the reg for any outstanding field action.
  • mpeb likes this

Els

Els
  • Forum User
  • 5 posts
Thanks. Pics very helpful - but which exact new bit (pipe) am I concerned with? Are these both mk7?

coilkat

coilkat
  • Club Member
  • 249 posts

Mine is a 17 plate and looks like the top picture same as @AMc.

You can always use the DVLA site to check if a car has had the recall (although later ones didn't need it anyway)

• ST3spin likes this

alex98uk

alex98uk
  • Club Member
  • 2030 posts
  • Bristol

What's funny though is that later builds have the same style as the top picture, mine does anyway... Which is a 16 plate new build, no recall required/pending.

So wouldn't say go by the type. You'll need to check the reg for any outstanding field action.

Yeah, the "older" design went past the cars affected by the recall. But, the new parts included in the recall kit were of the newer coolant tank design.

Just this week I met up with someone to buy some brakes at a motorway services and the coolant tank of his ST had split where the small line meets the tank and was :censored: out. His was a '16 plate too.

Els

Els
  • Forum User
  • 5 posts
I had a look at one today (look, couldn't test drive till Monday, lockdown rules).
66 plate, 30k miles, st3, all annual stamps in service book, Ford service until 1st mot. Had the same "old" coolant tank too, no recalls on dvla or Ford etis (?).
Seemed in good nick, and I was all set to put a deposit down until I looked at the coolant level in the expansion tank, which was way, way below minimum on the flat (on an engine that I'd started and run for about a minute or so). Apparently, it has just been dealer serviced, but they thought this was OK...
As just had the oil changed, couldn't tell if there was an issue there (e.g. water leakage). Couldn't see any drips in the engine bay or on the floor.
So not too sure. Could be an issue, could be nothing and just never topped up from new. Dealer can't explain it (mechanics say is OK, but they're not Ford and I don't think they know of the coolant, etc issues).
A few other issues, like both mirrors been aerosol painted (why?), maybe door card been off, poor tyres (but that I can sort).
So thoughts? Walk away (sadly)? Or take a chance (no others currently around except on delivery without inspection - but maybe there will be in future).
Had they topped the tank up to midway, I would never have known, of course!!!
Oh, and it had an odd entry in the service book: annual service each December, 2 months later, 2018, "check 180". Anyone know what this means?

alex98uk

alex98uk
  • Club Member
  • 2030 posts
  • Bristol
The market is absolutely saturated with fiestas. It's a buyers market. Don't settle for anything less than mint.

Els

Els
  • Forum User
  • 5 posts
Where I live, actually not; at least, not in the colour I want (black). Would settle for Zetec S or any 1.6 ST, but struggling to find any without travelling a good way. Don't know if this is normal or due to the pandemic.
Shed loads of st line and other lower spec 1.0s and older lower capacity ones, to be sure.

K3FUS

K3FUS
  • Forum User
  • 1331 posts

If you want an ST then only look at an ST! I’d rather a white ST than a black ST line 1.0, a totally different and inferior car.

StBen1989

StBen1989
  • Club Member
  • 368 posts
Just a sit in the ST seats will be enough to want it over the 1 litre.
Some don't agree with me, but I think the 1 litre st line fiesta's look more chavy than the ST, for mk7's.
  • ST3spin likes this

mjcapri

mjcapri
  • Forum User
  • 115 posts

If you want an ST then only look at an ST! I’d rather a white ST than a black ST line 1.0, a totally different and inferior car.

I totally agree, the ST is very different to the rest of the Fiesta range. Incidentally @Els as it’s not clear from your post above, are you aware that the 1.6 Zetec S doesn’t use the same engine as the ST? Again, a completely different car. If I were you I’d take your time, wait until you can go for a test drive and find the car you want, there are plenty to choose from.
  • ST3spin and K3FUS like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users