Nine years to go. - Fiesta ST MK8 Discussion - Fiesta ST Owners Club

Nine years to go.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

otley

otley
  • Club Member
  • 17 posts

I was planning to replace my '19 ST with a new one in 2024 when the five year warranty expires. But it then struck me that all manufacturers will likely cease investing in further developing turbo petrol engines as the 2030 electric vehicle intro point approaches.

Have we now passed the pinnacle of car petrol engine development?

• Richyharrison04 likes this

Darkmatter70

Darkmatter70
  • Club Member
  • 33 posts

We're getting close to the pinnacle: the current generation F90 BMW M5 has a more powerful engine and produces more torque than its predecessor.

However its shifted to an automatic ZF box as a conventional manual can't handle the power.

Back in the real world I guess it's all down to politics.

The UK is to ban the sale of petrol and diesel cars by 2030 in a zero emissions bid which obviously means there will be almost no R&D going into petrol engines until then. 

Until then we get to enjoy one of the best petrol manual cars ever made in the Fiesta ST mk8 and it's mad cousin the Toyota GR Yaris.

Wsel

Wsel
  • Club Member
  • 19 posts
Five year warranty? Is that standard or was yours extended.

I hope they make petrol cars right up until 2030 as I deliver fuel and I want to keep my job. Im hoping Ive got another 10 years in the industry after the ban.

Twiddle

Twiddle
  • Club Member
  • 498 posts
  • Simon
  • Lincs

I personally hope the fuels being developed by Porsche  and they possible hydrogen combustion engines will turn things around.

While EV's are nippy they don't appear to have much character. Which as spurred me to get an ST Edition as possibly the last none hybrid Fiesta hot hatch and it'll be a keeper.

Keithsson

Keithsson
  • Club Member
  • 228 posts
That's why I'm really looking after mine, it *IS* a keeper.

Not that any job is safe as houses any more @Wsel petrol will still be needed after 2030.

The infrastructure to support the internal combustion engine has been evolving for 100+ years, it can't possibly be dismantled in its entirety in less than ten years.

And neither too can electric charging for all be created in that time. It's fine if you have a drive or garage attached to your abode, that's the 'low hanging fruit' of the switch to electric market. But most people live in flats or terraces or estates with no off street parking or communal parking areas... and the leads won't stretch from their properties.

Unless Hydrogen technology kicks on they're going to have to come up with some sort of gizmo like wireless charging pads planted into the sides of every street before electric becomes universal. That will take many many decades.
  • Twiddle and Darkmatter70 like this

Twiddle

Twiddle
  • Club Member
  • 498 posts
  • Simon
  • Lincs

Very true.

Never mind the electrical infrastructure to domestic and small commercial properties. I am a spark and have fitted several of these, mainly 32 amp units. The bumf I have read suggest each average users car will require 12 hours charge at 32 amp per week, at 2 cars per house. So each household using an average of aprx 180 kilowatt hours of power per week whether they charge at home work of the super market it's a lot of of juice shove round the grid.

Or be rich and have solar PV installed with Tesla battery bank and charge from that . . . . . if the weathers been nice.

Also no turbos.

• Richyharrison04 likes this

Standaman94

Standaman94
  • Club Member
  • 388 posts
  • Stan
  • Colchester
In 2030 there's still going to be tens of millions of ICE cars on the road, not everyone can afford a new electric car. Fuel and fuel stations will still be around for probably 15-20 years at least until the last ICE cars are traded in. I presume fuel and ICE tax will come into play to accelerate this

otley

otley
  • Club Member
  • 17 posts

I paid the extra for the five year warranty when I bought the car.

I think we are in for interesting times. Meeting the 2030 deadline for EV only cars will mean that manufacturers will begin offering a full range of EVs maybe by 2025 and I cannot see many new car buyers choosing an ICE after that. Remember how diesel sales dropped like a stone after the emissions unpleasantness. And will we see massive pushes for domestic solar panels and small wind turbine sets to match? My house has a 60A main fuse, so could perhaps supply my and my wife's EV with 7kW each overnight. I think I'll need thicker cables laying!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users