Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just looking on peoples opinions on 16in alloys Vs 17in alloys and in particular pictures of the Fiesta ST with these Zetec S alloys fitted

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
I've got a set of 17' rota grids and a set if 16' compomotive mo5's so I can tell you that....

The 16's do improve your acceleration,I noticed a difference but your gears are shorter so on the motorway your car will be at a higher rpm say at 70mph on 16' then when you had 17's.

I like the 16's but 17's are just as good IMO.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
smaller and lighter.

unless you put a bigger profile tyre on in which case there about the same weight but a much comfier ride on coilovers n easier to handle as the grip is lost a lot more progressively on the limit so easier to correct

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
The bigger the profile, the less responsive the car will react to steering. Still, doubt you'd notice any differance with such a small change. If you fitted the correct size on the 16" which I think would be 195, 45R16 at a guess.
If you don't fit the same diameter tyres, don't forget your speedo will be wrong - so get a gps.

FYI - in some parts of europe, the ST came with 16" as standard - they probably want a little more confort.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, sounds like 16in are better bet

Has anyone fitted those 16in alloys to their ST?
Any pictures?

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Personally unless your serious about Tracking your ST Etc then I really dont think It matter's.

Using It as a daily driver you wont notice ANY diffrence between the two.IMO I think 16's look too small on a ST.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
I see a bit of difference when I put my 16's up front.

I lose 3-4mph in each gear but the car does accelerate faster! The top speed is about 4ish mph down too.

But it feels more responsive and more keen to go.

Just from what I found as I have two sets of wheels one 16' one 17'

Lee

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Personally unless your serious about Tracking your ST Etc then I really dont think It matter's.

Using It as a daily driver you wont notice ANY diffrence between the two.IMO I think 16's look toO small on a ST.
you ever driven one on 16's? to try it is to love it mate

mine
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Sky
Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle

spikeysams
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive side-view mirror

love the way my car feels on 16's, so much smoother over the bumps as I'm lowered about 40-50mm n have bushes on the car, better for daily driving and grips just as well with 17's if not a little better.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Each to there own I suspose....

Personally I prefer 17's (For look's) If I was going to do lot's of Track Day's and 1/4 Mile Sprint's (Motorsport) Then yes I would use 16's.

3-4MPH Is nothing and pointless If the car Is a daily driver and spend's most of It's time round town though as you can only go 30MPH

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Each to there own I suspose....

Personally I prefer 17's (For look's) If I was going to do lot's of Track Day's and 1/4 Mile Sprint's (Motorsport) Then yes I would use 16's.

3-4MPH Is nothing and pointless If the car Is a daily driver and spend's most of It's time round town though as you can only go 30MPH
i think which looks better depends on the look of your car and personal opinion, you cant really say 17's look better full stop on a car.

low and wide looking on 16's really suits the ST.

cant wait to get my 16" turinis on!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I've bought the 16in zetec S alloys in the picture

Now if I ever get the B12 set up which I paid for weeks ago from a member on here then I will post up some pictures once they are fitted

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Dave - Im just talking about our ST's,Other car's really suit 16's Etc (Depending what size you can fit on) Not all car's will except 17's.

I have seen a few ST's on 16's and they did look good.I.E Euro,Small Wheel's and Slammed

·
Registered
216 Posts
Have you driven or been in a car with 16s Chris?

I changed down a size when I got my new wheels, the difference was really something, ride quality improved massively (I now run 205/45 R16, the same as the European spec ST as standard, also the same size as the Clio 182/182 Trophy), overall the grip didn't seem any lower but the car was much more progressive at the limit and much more comfortable even when lowered as much as it is on H&R coilovers - ask pop80_uk, he's been in my car, first thing he commented on was the ride!

In terms of looks, I'd say 17s generally look better but if you go low enough on the 16s, and pick an appropriate wheel style (something where the spokes go right to the edge of the rim like Super Tourismos or Braid Winrace) they look fine. Definitely need to go low though, even when my car has Bilstein B12s it wasn't low enough...need a 45mm drop really to carry off 16s!

I'd go as far as to say going for the smaller wheels was the best mod I made to the car apart from the suspension!

Going back to the original topic...not a fan of those 16 inch zetec S wheels, a bit too fussy and 'modern' looking to suit the shape of the Mk6 Fiesta (suit the Mk7 much better). I think the multi-spoke wheels from the Mk6 Zetec S are far nicer if you're sticking with Ford wheels.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Dave - Im just talking about our ST's,Other car's really suit 16's Etc (Depending what size you can fit on) Not all car's will except 17's.

I have seen a few ST's on 16's and they did look good.I.E Euro,Small Wheel's and Slammed
im also refering to our ST's mate. if you compare the std height ST to the std height ZS the ZS looks the better proportioned to me.

like i said eariler which looks best is an opinion but which go's best isnt.

Dave

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you driven or been in a car with 16s Chris?

I changed down a size when I got my new wheels, the difference was really something, ride quality improved massively (I now run 205/45 R16, the same as the European spec ST as standard, also the same size as the Clio 182/182 Trophy), overall the grip didn't seem any lower but the car was much more progressive at the limit and much more comfortable even when lowered as much as it is on H&R coilovers - ask pop80_uk, he's been in my car, first thing he commented on was the ride!
Your car is the reason for me getting 16's

Although I've already bought those zetec alloys

I'm still waiting for the seller to send the B12s though

·
Registered
554 Posts
You can work out how much your acceleration changes with smaller wheel sizes. You have to halve the rim diameter to get the radius, then multiply this number by the aspect ratio (the second number in a tyre size, so 205/40x17) then add the radius again. Then you times 2pi to get the rolling circumference.

Zetec S wheels: 16 inches which is 8+(8x0.45) which comes to 11.6 inches, so the rolling circ. is 72 inches thereabouts.

Now the ST wheel: 17 inches which is 8.5+(8.5x0.40) which is 11.5 inches, so the rolling circ. is 73.5 inches near enough.

This equation only really applies if the tyres are different sizes too, but it gives you an idea. Since the overall circumference are almost the same when you add the tyre to the alloy in the ZS and ST, the two cars wont have any major difference in their respective rolling distance.

So anyone who tells you "the acceleration was so much better" is perhaps under a placebo effect, it isn't true. If anything, the bigger sidewalls the 16 has will mean your car will ruin the sidewalls faster, meaning new tyres more often, as the suspension is much stiffer on the ST hence why it has bigger alloys and smaller sidewalls.

The good thing is is that your gearing and speedo wont be messed up since the overall wheel diameter on the ST and Zetec S is the same, the 16's just have bigger sidewalls to make up for the loss in alloy diameter.

If ride comfort is what you really want then do it, but it seems a bit pointless to have bought an ST in the first place if that's what you want.

One thing to add, if you take into account the smaller tyre (the Zetec S tyre is negligibly smaller) it must rotate more to cover the same distance that the ST tyre will. The surface friction the bigger alloy/tyre causes that the engine will have to overcome is cancelled out by the amount of extra revolutions the smaller alloy/tyre must produce to cover the same distance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts