Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Hi,
Im currently weighing up my option's as to what route's I can go down to get more power from my ST and one of them Is the 2.3....

How easy Is It to do..?What's Involed..?

Is It a straight swop or do thing's need modifying Etc..?

Any Info/Help will be MUCHO apreciated so please post away

Thanks
Craig

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
If your not going forced induction with forged engine I wouldnt bother mate.

My 2.3 SC made the same power as the 2.0, more torque though, really needs forged engine when will fly mate! Also the 2.3 doesnt want to rev as the 2.0 does. Makes the power quicker also.

Engine mounts need modifiying and also a spacer for the gearbox I believe. Jamsport do this conversion in 1 day also too

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
if you want do forced induction, just get some good cams, valve retainers, go up to 8000rpm,
get intake and full exhaust, and thats it...
or turbo, i know someone who can make you custom parts

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Well I currently have a Cossie Inlet,Cossie Cam's,Viper Induction Kit (Will be fitted this Month) Already have Mani-Back Exhaust.
Im then going to get a 60mm TB and get a Custom Remap done so I'll make anything from 195BHP Upward's....Hopefully

I was thinking though If I get a 2.3 with a Ported & Polished Head and the above mod's I'll make what 220BHP upward's..?Then In the
futurea Stage 2.5 Supercharger.But this will cost anything from £1500 upward's depending on the price of a Ported & Polished Head

Basically I want good reliable power but being a little diffrent from the norm 2.0L Duratec with a Supercharger,It's just hard because
unless you have deep pocket's then the best route to go down Is the standard Engine with a Supercharger,With other mod's If you wish.

Whatever you do come's to the same amount as a Second Hand SC Kit or In most case's more making It pointless so I dont know..?

I could add a SC to my 2L Duratec Engine with the mod's I already have,And be looking at the best part of 310+BHP,However that's
not really what I want although It would be nice,I would alway's be worried that my Engine would go pop running on standrd Internal's.

So what's everyone's opinion..?The option's I have/Can think of are;
2L Duratec running around 195+BHP with more money to spend elsewhere
Same as above but running around 300BHP (With SC,On standard Internal's)
2.3 Conversion running 220BHP (Inlet Mani,P&P'd Head,Cam's,Full Exhaust,Remap Etc)
Same as above but running around 300BHP (With SC,On standard Internal's but not running max BHP)

Or I could venture down the Turbo route,But I dont know any Info on this at all,Anyone got any Link's Etc..?

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Well I dont have endless amount's of money,All of that Is over a long periood of time ^

So therfore going Forged Is out of the question so I dont really want to go anymore then 300BHP on SI,Even that's pushing It really.

Think I might just stick with my original plan of getting around 200BHP for now,And then In a couple of Month's getting a 2.5 Charger.

Josey - You know much Info on Turbo'ing a 2L Duratec..?Got any Li nk's Etc as Im Intrigued and potentially COULD be Intrested....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
You wont see 220bhp from the 2.3 with your mods. I made 185-190 exactly the same as the 2.0 waste of money mate unless you turbo/SC it.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really ^ ....That Is a waste of money then.Pointless doing that potential Idea then

What If I Supercharged a 2.3 with just a complete Exhaust & Remap,What power would I be looking at..?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Really ^ ....That Is a waste of money then.Pointless doing that potential Idea then

What If I Supercharged a 2.3 with just a complete Exhaust & Remap,What power would I be looking at..?
My SC 2.3 had everything you could get, even ported head! Didn't have forged rods and pistons though. Made 290bhp (big bore exhaust will push upto over 300) The 2.3 did make the same power as the 2.0 1000rpm quicker so there was massive potenitial there.

Stick with your 2.0 unless your going to make a proper forged engine then go 2.3. If you wanted N/A power from the 2.3 the compression ratio would need changing, if you was doing that might aswell go forced induction I think, cheaper.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good choice Craig, i would say stick with the 2l also. I was in a similar situation debating wheather to go with the 2.3.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thing Is though,I've just found quite a good bargain for a Fully Forged 2.3 Converted Bottom End for a 2.3 Conversion.

So with that,Plus my N/A Mod's ATM (Exhaust,Cam's,Inlet,60mm TB,Induction Kit & Remap) How much BHP would I be looking at..?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Thing Is though,I've just found quite a good bargain for a Fully Forged 2.3 Converted Bottom End for a 2.3 Conversion.

So with that,Plus my N/A Mod's ATM (Exhaust,Cam's,Inlet,60mm TB,Induction Kit & Remap) How much BHP would I be looking at..?
A shade over 200, but not much more, nothing noticible anyway. But as carmine said, lower rpm torque will be better.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well you have already changed your mind 3x in 24hrs lol, nothing will happen over night have a good think about what you actually want out of the car. I say keep the 2l and stick a s/c on it seens you don't have the money to go forge, easiest and most powerful option i think.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

Depends on the compression ratio of the pistons mate - Pistons might be a low compression for forced induction.

If your going to charge it in the future and its a bargain get it mate

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
The Compression Ration Is 12:7:1 so obviously more aimed at N/A but It can be machined to lower the CR for Forced Induction.

I think I would be happy with around 210-220BHP for now,Until I got back on my feet and had more money Etc.As I dont want to blow all my money on the Engine as I want a all round package.Plus this way I would have a solid reliable Engine rather then 280 odd BHP on standard Internal's which could give up at any time....So I need to really think about It and weigh up what option's I Have/Best suit my need's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts