Fiesta ST Forums banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Hi Vintage, it's been a couple months since fitting the 225s. keen to know your thoughts please? Hoping you are happy as I'm considering the same thing
Yeah zero issue to be honest. I didn't have the smaller wheels on long so can't really compare, and even if I did I would probably be spoofing a little as I'm usually taking it handy when driving so really don't notice any difference.

I do prefer the way they fill out the arches more. You may notice more crude gets flicked up the side of the car due to this, but not sure how much more than standard. If you have mud flaps they are a tight fit depending on the flaps. My car came with flaps on it and I removed the fronts when the new wheels went on as the front right would rub occasionally when loading up the front right wheel and turning. A new set fixed that as the previous set were motor factor generic ones where as the new set are for a fiesta and slimmer.

Cars going great though, can't complain.

IMG-20210209-132528.jpg

IMG-20210209-132536.jpg

IMG-20210209-132546.jpg

IMG-20210209-132904.jpg

· Registered
215 Posts
interesting - youve kept the same sidewall ratio (40) so you've gained 8mm in sidewall height and raised the car the same. Notice any difference in NVH or acceleration ?

Some people go for 225/35 which reduces the sidewall height from standard (205/40 R18) by 2mm

· Registered
83 Posts
In a word, no.

The only thing to be mindful of now, and the main difference is the speedometer is accurate.

The car in theory should be slower, and revs should sit a little lower when cruising but it's like 1 or 2 percent change that you'll never notice.

· Registered
952 Posts
So for those considering changing here's a visual difference, it's very difficult to accurately measure across the tyre, but after multiple attempts I am fairly comfortable that from bead to bead the distance is 15mm. As seen by pictures the weight difference is 600gms.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Light

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread

Attachments

· "Race Red Owner"
7,428 Posts
I was flummoxed by that too even before noticing Alex's comments, I understand the wet performance as a wide tyre could possibly "sit on the water rather than cut through but the fuel consumption?? That does not add up as a wider tyre will create MORE rolling resistance than a thinner tyre (think mountain bike vs racer tyre widths)...

:mellow:

· Registered
796 Posts
interesting - youve kept the same sidewall ratio (40) so you've gained 8mm in sidewall height and raised the car the same. Notice any difference in NVH or acceleration ?

Some people go for 225/35 which reduces the sidewall height from standard (205/40 R18) by 2mm
Interesting point - 225/35 would seem to be a more equivalent size to the oe 205/40 than going to 225/40, in that it matches the diameter much better. The PSS is available in this size.

· Registered
13 Posts
Adding to this thread, has anyone fitted 225s to the standard Performance Pack 18s and how did you get on? I need 4 new tyres and currently torn between 205 Michelin PS4s or saving some cash and going up to the 225 Michelin PS4s or Goodyear eagle supersports again in 225. Each size has its own merits it seems but the 225s make a lot more financial sense.

· Registered
796 Posts
Adding to this thread, has anyone fitted 225s to the standard Performance Pack 18s and how did you get on? I need 4 new tyres and currently torn between 205 Michelin PS4s or saving some cash and going up to the 225 Michelin PS4s or Goodyear eagle supersports again in 225. Each size has its own merits it seems but the 225s make a lot more financial sense.
225/35 or 225/40 ?

· Registered
966 Posts
I would be tempted to go for the Goodyear's in the stock 205, i haven't tried 225 but i personally hate how they look.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts