Fiesta ST Forums banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

· Registered
796 Posts
225/40's are a better option as my GPS Speed on the dashcam proves the speed is low by approx 8% at 60.
I understand what you're saying, but then that is the way Ford designed it - as do most manufacturers, as the legal tolerance on speedo accuracy says they can over read but never under read.
But also, isn't the best option to try to match the oem circumference as closely as possible? Changing from standard could affect handling, unless you're doing it to address a handling issue that you've identified?

· "Race Red Owner"
7,428 Posts
Sure, but I only got the car two weeks ago and it had the 17" wheels with 205s that needed replacing. I used the chance to buy the perf 18" wheels. The link earlier was what I looked at in relation to wheel widths. 205 is the min for 7.5j. Recommended is 215 or 225, so the 225 made sense to me. The car really struggled with the cold damp roads here for first two weeks and new tyres have cured that, but no idea how new 205s would have done. They also look better imo.
can we get a follow up on this Vintage?? My tyres are real close to legal now and think the slightly wider option might bring in more traction in the dry??

· Registered
952 Posts
Just throwing this in, been running the Goodyear’s Supersports in OEM size.
Really impressed with grip levels in both wet and dry and do not display the issues some people find in the PS4, have found them sometimes tramlining on poor road surfaces but not overly an issue, IMO worthy replacement for the PSS.

· Registered
83 Posts
can we get a follow up on this Vintage?? My tyres are real close to legal now and think the slightly wider option might bring in more traction in the dry??
Sure. I haven't driven 18s with 205s but the 225s are perfectly fine. As mentioned by someone else my speedo is bang on accurate now when compared with Waze. Car drives perfectly well for me. Just be aware of you have front mudguards there isn't much room. I don't have an issue now as I changed my front ones and modified them slightly when I got the tyres fitted.

I think the chunkier tyre suits the look of car, but some people prefer to keep it OEM size which is fair enough.

· Premium Member
Fiesta ST Edition
1,489 Posts
215s make more sense than 225.to me, but not much cheaper than 205s although more choices for tyre.

I'm more inclined to go 215 than any bigger but probably stay 205s as mine (if it ever turns up) is the Edition so slightly lower than others and I will probably fit mud flaps of some sort and things get close.

Also I've had a look around and Yokohama tyres to the V701 in the correct size it's about 120 fitted and I have good all round experience with them.

There are even some "Dynamo" budget tyres in 205 for 75 quids but then I do wonder why people buy a certain car then have to skimp on tyres to afford to run them.

· Registered
Fiesta MK8 ST3 MY2021
569 Posts
In Belgium we need to follow the rules of the constructor if not we get a red card at the car inspection and we need to return to them with the correct size on the rims

Reactions: Twiddle

· Registered
34 Posts
215s make more sense than 225.to me, but not much cheaper than 205s although more choices for tyre.

I'm more inclined to go 215 than any bigger but probably stay 205s as mine (if it ever turns up) is the Edition so slightly lower than others and I will probably fit mud flaps of some sort and things get close.

Also I've had a look around and Yokohama tyres to the V701 in the correct size it's about 120 fitted and I have good all round experience with them.

There are even some "Dynamo" budget tyres in 205 for 75 quids but then I do wonder why people buy a certain car then have to skimp on tyres to afford to run them.
My ST2 had two new Blacklion Champoints on the front when I bought it. I was gonna bin them off for PS4s but they're actually pretty good and I'm going to run them til they're down to 3mm I reckon. I'd never heard of them before.

· Premium Member
Fiesta ST Edition
1,489 Posts
My ST2 had two new Blacklion Champoints on the front when I bought it. I was gonna bin them off for PS4s but they're actually pretty good and I'm going to run them til they're down to 3mm I reckon. I'd never heard of them before.
Made in China.

But So are some Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Kuhmo, Yokohama .....

Is there anything they don't make?

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Sorry to resurrect a 6 month old thread but I’m looking to replace my 4 year old Michelin Super Sports with 225 40 18 PS4’s or 5’s.

My concern is, is that the car is lowered with Eibach Redline Pros springs all round and opting for these wider sidewalls might rub/scrape the arch.

Any thoughts peeps please? Cheers 😊👍🏻

· Registered
4 Posts
I've been lurking this thread since I'm tempted to do the move myself. I am running 215/45r17's ET40 on my competition set, which never rubbed even at full compression in the corners. Might do 225/45r17's on a daily/practice set, but I'm slightly concerned they might indeed rub in full compression. Telling from the action pictures I've been given, there should still be some mils to spare... Wheel calc says tyre will stick out 5 mm's more in all directions, so it would be close, but still seems like it would clear, barely, or rub. It's so close I'd say it depends on how the tyre manufacturer interpreted the spec. Mind you, I am running 2 degrees of negative camber.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive design

· Registered
Fiesta MK8 ST3 MY2021
569 Posts
I think I go for 215 40/R18, cause I have to stay within the tolerance of the prescribed tire size here in Belgium...

225 40/R18 is just outside the allowed tolerance

· Registered
4 Posts
I think I go for 215 40/R18, cause I have to stay within the tolerance of the prescribed tire size here in Belgium...

225 40/R18 is just outside the allowed tolerance
An easy trick around that is to have another set of wheels, possibly your winter set, for the vehicle inspection. No cop is going to stop you for having wheels that look 1% too large. The rule exists to ensure speedo accuracy, just so people can't have an excuse for driving too fast because their speedo was off, due to having larger diameter wheels.

Personally I am going to play it safe too though. Contacted someone selling 225/45r17 Federal FZ201s secondhand, and when actually measured, they came in at a whopping 235 mm wide. Compared that to my current set of semis, and calculated that then I'd only have 2 mm of play with the shock cups, way too little for serious driving. But that might just be Federals being too wide for their spec. I think aftermarket (or performance edition) coilovers don't have that issue.

· Registered
Fiesta MK8 ST3 MY2021
569 Posts
I know. But at the car inspection they look at the size of it.

So maybe Pirelli PZero or the New Good Year Eagle F1, cause had a look at Michelin and they don't have the new sport 5 not in those size

61 - 80 of 86 Posts