Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I ballsed some right up today. Weren't too expensive so I'm not bothered about just starting again, but would like to get it right next time!

I read online about using some sort of application glue that you spray on then apply the sticker, so it gives you a quick bit of time to peel back and reapply the sticker to avoid any creases.

Anyone else use this when applying their stickers, if so, where can I get some?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Ok mate. I've never used Lynx myself but I guess its the same principle as F135TA ST stated above. You need something that creates a slick/greasy and non instant bonding surface.

I find using one of those plant sprayers very handy for this. Fill it with 2 drops of washing up liquid and luke warm, (not hot), water.

Then simply follow these steps:

- Clean windscreen thouroughly.
- Apply a mist of this foamy water liberally to the glass using the sprayer.
- Position sunstrip, leaving about 1-2inch overhang all round. (A 2nd pair of hands really helps here)
- Get an old credit card wrapped in a soft lint free cloth and gently squidgy out all the water gradually working it out from the middle outwards.
- Once happy with the main body of the sunstrip and all water has been expelled from behind the vinyl, use the card to tap around the rubber trim of the windscreen to cause a crease and tight seal.
- Carefully use a stanley blade to trim along this crease and remove the excess vinyl.
- Use 1 pin priick to pop any small stubborn air bubbles once completed, (if any).

Hope this helps mate and good luck with the next one.

ICEMAN ST 07

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lee and F135TA ST, thank you both

Will the mixture of washing up liquid (or shower gel) and water allow you to easily peel back the vinyl a little bit if you get a crease in it so you can try again?

The one we did today was fine after half way, it's just the initial bit that was tricky. Don't know how we managed last year - it was perfect first time, just a couple of bubbles.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Yes mate. Your first initial spray of the liquid on the winscreen should be enough to the point in runs down your screen. Once you've positioned it and you start squidgying out the water but you feel it needs repositioning then the greasy mixture will allow you to pull the vinyl back off the windscreen with relative ease. Each time you do this however remember to reapply some more liquid to the screen.

Note: Try to get it within the first.....say 2 attempts as too many re-peels can cause vinyls to stretch and thin out. Cant express enough how much easier it is with 2 people!

If your missus, old man or mates are unable to assist next time dude, just pop on round and we'll whack it on.

ICEMAN ST 07

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I've got my Dad helping me out.

In fact he does most of the work and I just make sure it's staying straight lol. We'll give it another go next weekend.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
As iceman said

many ppl try to much washing up liquid - basically the washing up liquid stops it sticking, too much it will take ages to dry , none at all wil be hard to reposition (sliding)
the water aids to remove the air (so no bubbles)

pretty good guide that tbh - should make it a sticky in the guides section.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts