Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I lost one of my wheel centres yesterday. It wasn't stolen, but fell off after I had my front wheels balanced.

After a lot of swearing and driving about looking for it at the side of the road I went to my local Ford Stealers.........Sorry Ford Dealers to buy a new one.

£18-63 inc VAT.........

When I got home I cleaned my wheel and fitted the new centre. It was clear to see that it fitted a lot tighter and was a lot more secure than the old one.

I removed the new centre and measured the distance between the opposite lugs, then measured the same distance on one of my old ones.

There was a difference of nearly 5mm, and I could clearly see that the lugs on the old one were bent in towards the centre........these lugs obviously flex over time and allow the centre to come loose.

I decided to try and bend the lugs on my old centres outwards and hopefully get the centres to fit more securely......

AND IT WORKED!

Below is a description of what I did. I have included some photos. The quality isn't great as they were taken in my garage and I didn't have enough hands to hold 2 bits and a camera.

If you want to have a go at this please don't burn yourself, and I will accept no responsibility if you make a balls of it!

This is the new centre. The distance from lug to lug is 14.4 cm
Automotive tire Dishware Rim Tableware Automotive wheel system

This is the old centre, with a distance of 13.8 cm
Automotive tire Rim Watch Automotive wheel system Font

As you can see the lug on the old centre is bent inwards
Wood Bicycle part Electrical wiring Machine Cable

These are the tools you will need
Hand tool Wood Metalworking hand tool Tool Wood stain

Heat up the underside of the lug. Don't overdo it. It only needs a few seconds.....just enough to soften the plastic slightly
Finger Bicycle part Electronic engineering Engineering Auto part

Force the lug outwards using the pliers. Not too much.....just so it is slightly angled outwards. Hold the pliers in place while the plastic cools and hardens up. Do this with all the lugs
Eyewear Gadget Electrical wiring Electric blue Wire

This is the centre after I had done all the lugs, as you can see the distance is now 14.4 cm
Ruler Temperature Tape measure Office ruler Measuring instrument

Refit the centre to the wheel. Be careful to press the centre home slowly and ensure the lugs all fit inside the wheel and don't push outwards

This is the wheel before the centre was adapted
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Hubcap

And after.......
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

The centre is much more secure and shouldn't fall off during normal driving.

PLEASE NOTE - I AM NOT SAYING THIS WILL STOP SOME LITTLE
NICKING THEM, BUT IT WILL HOPEFULLY MAKE THEM MORE SECURE AND LESS LIKELY TO FALL OFF.

Try it and let me know how you go on

Cheers

Sturge

Attachments

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Wish this had been posted a month or so back, lost two of mine already :( pulled the other two off to be safe! Well done though mate, good work

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wish this had been posted a month or so back, lost two of mine already :( pulled the other two off to be safe! Well done though mate, good work
Well, It's been a month since I sorted my wheel centres, and they are still on......All of them.

A job well done I think

Anyone else tried yet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Or ya could do what I've done and get sum centre cap rings from another car and bond them in place on the inside of the lugs no more problems and makes them a lot harder for little sh**s to knick em

1 - 6 of 6 Posts