Fiesta ST Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all
Just picked up my 16 plate ST today, absolutely over the moon with it! Can certainly see why they get so much praise.

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I couldnt find it on here.

My friend has informed me that these cars tend to get stolen a fair amount & to invest in some security. Ive been given a contact who can install the Ghost ll system for me for just shy of £400.

Just wondered what you guys think about this? Or if there is a better option in the same kind of price range. I dont want the disklok as that would just drive me nuts.

Tia
Jay

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assumed there would be some stickers to put on the windows to let would be thieves know that they wont be able to start the car?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would that put you off?
If I thought it was going to make a noise and be a waste of time... probably. But Im not a car thief so I dont know.
I was under the impression that car theft has become a bit more sophisticated these days and if they know whats fitted they know its not going to work. Maybe Im just being naive

·
Premium Member
5,994 Posts
If I thought it was going to make a noise and be a waste of time... probably. But Im not a car thief so I dont know.
I was under the impression that car theft has become a bit more sophisticated these days and if they know whats fitted they know its not going to work. Maybe Im just being naive
The car already had an alarm that should make a noise, they aren't bothered by it. The ghost system is an immobiliser, that won't make any noise. It also isn't thatcham approved, ignore the TASSA approval, that's seems to be a body they've made themselves to make it look better.

What ST3spin listed is usually the things that are recommended, we've seen all sorts of reasons why people don't want to use discloks on here.

a thatcham immobiliser like the viper 106v is less than half the cost, some installers can add a tracker and it's still less than the ghost.

The reason for the dislike is as another layer, it's very noticeable (how big and where would a sticker need to be?), it's there to try and ut them off, so they go down the road or the other side of the car park to where another ST is whose owners doe t like the disclok. It might stop your lock or window being smashed.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The car already had an alarm that should make a noise, they aren't bothered by it. The ghost system is an immobiliser, that won't make any noise. It also isn't thatcham approved, ignore the TASSA approval, that's seems to be a body they've made themselves to make it look better.

What ST3spin listed is usually the things that are recommended, we've seen all sorts of reasons why people don't want to use discloks on here.

a thatcham immobiliser like the viper 106v is less than half the cost, some installers can add a tracker and it's still less than the ghost.

The reason for the dislike is as another layer, it's very noticeable (how big and where would a sticker need to be?), it's there to try and ut them off, so they go down the road or the other side of the car park to where another ST is whose owners doe t like the disclok. It might stop your lock or window being smashed.
Big issue with any immobiliser that requires a fob or any such device is that is it weak point, once you have they keys and the fob (99.9% of the time are held together) you have the car, Ghost there is no fob.

It's not Thatcham approved because their approval conditions are not suited to it, you could argue it's beyond their approval criteria.

Truth is any extra system is better than none, so it's personal choice, just make sure it's installed well.

·
Super Moderator
23,524 Posts
What would drive you more nuts...

A) Spending literally a few seconds putting a disklok on/off each time.

B) Returning to an empty space where you car was... Not being able to get to where you need to be... Spending hours on phone and emails with insurance agreeing a settlement pay out... Paying increased insurance due to a claim for several years... Not finding a good car again... Everyone else's insurance going up as a result of another claim statistic...

Tough one, I know.

·
"Race Red Owner"
6,534 Posts
I fully concur with @ST3spin best things start simple and cheap, OBD port relocation and false port added (£10-15), Faraday pouch or small metal tin if keyless entry £0.50 then a disklok (£100 odd with discount)

As for stickers warning what security immobiliser/alarm you have fitted, Just as @MarksST said unless it has some form of strobe type light as a visual deterrent..... Picture the scene 80% of this little island is in the land of nod, it is 3am foggy and very dark. Out of the darkness comes this vile little creature with no moral compass and no right to roam this earth looking for a quick buck or two for something you have toiled many an hour to afford....

.... Do you think he is going to give your car a better than Ford can do (lets face it they even miss badges fitted only one side of the car!!) PDI inspecting every window for stickers and they trying to ascertain if they are genuine or fake ebay items prior to the theft of your property.... The only time he probably looks at you window would be deciding where to place his window opening device for best effect.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Maybe Im just being naive
I don't mean to offend but that's the impression I got.

Bare minimum should be:

Disklok

Relocate/Disable OBD Port

Immobilizer

Visible flashing LED

Heard too many horror stories about the Ghost, if I was to start afresh my immobiliser of choice would be the Viper 106v immobiliser with Vipers 620v flashing LED.

Good security post by Bostin! here

·
"Race Red Owner"
6,534 Posts
@hunt807 If you REALLY do think thiefs look at stickers on window then these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-VIPER-GPS-Tracking-Device-Alarm-Security-Stickers-Car-Tracker-Warning-Signs-/351431684448

....fake ones from Fleabay with make it look like you have a top of the range viper system installed for only £2.38, jobs a good'un, sleep soundly...

... @K3FUS Am I also not correct that ghost does not come with stickers (seem to recall the FRS group trying to get some stickers made up because they where not supplied) therefore there would be no deterrent only protection.... to a badly damaged car.

This might be of more use:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-OBD2-Port-With-Mixed-Wires-And-Decoder-Dummy-Fake-OBD-anti-theft-security/324017685060?_trkparms=aid%3D555021%26algo%3DPL.SIMRVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201208142511%26meid%3Db19473fd9e074ae0bbed74709d5690e3%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D351431684448%26itm%3D324017685060%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplRVIAMLv5WebWithPLRVIOnTopCombiner&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

Slightly more expensive than false OBD ports but more convenient as the genuine port is still in the original position - just all the pins are mixed up, and if done correctly and tie-wrapped will be indistinguishable from an OEM port.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't mean to offend but that's the impression I got.

Bare minimum should be:

Disklok
Relocate/Disable OBD Port
Immobilizer
Visible flashing LED

Heard to many horror stories about the Ghost, if I was to start afresh my immobiliser of choice would be the Viper 106v immobiliser with Vipers 620v flashing LED.

Good security post by Bostin! here
Could you elaborate on the horror stories?

·
"Race Red Owner"
6,534 Posts
Could you elaborate on the horror stories?
I think the biggest issue is their almost "wash their hands of the customer once you've purchased it" morales that has put a few customers and installers off them more so than the product. I got the feeling from many posts I have read on here over the years that they will not accept any responsibility or look into any issues but rather just blame the installer leading some they to spend huge sums removing it and going with another immobiliser.

BUT I personally can't comment as I do not have the system fitted and never had so some of the issues may not be 100% the fault of the ghost system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you all for the feedback...
so back to my OP, the alternative to the Ghost seems to be the Viper 106v? moving the OBD also? or is this done on installation of ghost or Viper?
I don't really want to go down the road of putting my keys in protective pouches etc... the one time i forget to do it will surely be the time some scrot decides to nick my motor.

point made very clear about the disklok being the best deterrent & stickers of installed security system most likely ignored or assumed fake

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the biggest issue is their almost "wash their hands of the customer once you've purchased it" morales that has put a few customers and installers off them more so than the product. I got the feeling from many posts I have read on here over the years that they will not accept any responsibility or look into any issues but rather just blame the installer leading some they to spend huge sums removing it and going with another immobiliser.

BUT I personally can't comment as I do not have the system fitted and never had so some of the issues may not be 100% the fault of the ghost system.
thanks for clarification, from what I've managed to find the system itself seems pretty solid

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What would drive you more nuts...

A) Spending literally a few seconds putting a disklok on/off each time.

B) Returning to an empty space where you car was... Not being able to get to where you need to be... Spending hours on phone and emails with insurance agreeing a settlement pay out... Paying increased insurance due to a claim for several years... Not finding a good car again... Everyone else's insurance going up as a result of another claim statistic...

Tough one, I know.
It's not so much the taking it off & on what concerns me, it's having it banging around in my car all the time when it's not on the steering wheel.
Maybe this is an undue concern? I've never actually seen one in real life but looking at pictures they seem pretty hefty

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
It's not so much the taking it off & on what concerns me, it's having it banging around in my car all the time when it's not on the steering wheel.
Maybe this is an undue concern? I've never actually seen one in real life but looking at pictures they seem pretty hefty
Just get the carry case to store it in. Mine sits in the boot, no issues whatsoever

Discount code in this thread appears to still be valid https://www.fiestastoc.com/forums/topic/225473-new-disklok-discount-code/page-8

1 - 20 of 31 Posts