Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I didn't intend to start a thread but thought I should as this car seems to be a bit of a rare one. It has had 10 former keepers and has been owned by at least two members on here...thanks to @S20_WBY and @Steve for all the info given. It won't be an exciting thread as I intend to keep the car as standard as possible.

It is a 2006 model in Panther Black with 85000 miles on it and FSH, has the rare sunroof option, heated seats, Bluetooth and Voice Control, new 'J' hook discs with EBC yellow pads, the calipers look nearly new as well and a new set of TOYO tyres fitted, a Maxton rear diffuser plus all four centre caps and jacking covers are present...bonus. It had been heavily modded in the past but is now back in standard form.

I bought the car from a dealer in Newport that had taken it in part exchange, it didn't fit with their stock, so I was the lucky one to find it and picked it up last Wednesday.

It needs some TLC, it is generally in good nick, just some niggles to sort out...the first one being the exhaust, it had a new front pipe and back box fitted last year, very badly, so I took it to my exhaust man and every joint was leaking and the back box was lopsided. He sorted that out, but we found that the flexi was also leaking, so I've got a Milltek flexi on the way as a replacement...just fixing those leaks has improved the response of the car, although after switching from my S3, I keep expecting the turbo to kick in at some point...and where's 6th gear gone!

While the car was up in the air, I got my first view of the underside, quite a bit of surface corrosion, it also has an oil leak on the aux belt side of the engine, so I need to investigate where that is coming from...no doubt I'll find some more issues the deeper I delve!

Haven't had chance to give it a good valet but here's some pictures to start the 'journey'...

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Grille
Wheel Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Cheers,

Tim.

·
Registered
2008 Fiesta ST150 Track car
694 Posts
If the oil leak is on the aux belt side, it'll be the cam cover gasket leaking where the block and head meet the front plate. Or just the front plate seeping somewhere.
Or what's pretty common is a previous owner topping up the oil and spilling is down the side of the engine. Best bet would be to just clean it all up with brake cleaner and monitor it in a months time.

Reactions: tcg

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up mate, I was thinking it might be the cam cover gasket as they usually harden, but glad you suspect that. I'll be back at my exhaust guy in a couple of weeks' time, so I will have a closer look then.

I need to get a passenger wing arch liner sorted as the one on there is broken...is that an Ebay job...or is there a go to place for parts mate?

A few other little jobs to keep me engaged and build my relationship with the car, after all, we hardly know each other, and I think you need to have that bond...if you don't look back at it when you park up and walk away, you're not connected.

Cheers for the advice.

·
Registered
393 Posts
They also tend to **** out the timing cover if it's been over filled with oil. As previously said, clean it up and monitor. You'll want to watch the oil level like a hawk anyway going forward.

·
Premium Member
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift )
1,305 Posts
Hi tcg,

Looks good (y)

Only thing I would say is - if you havn't fitted the flexi already,

If you wanted to fit the miltech manifold at some point, the flexi would be redundant, so maybe now is the time to replace the manifold as it comes with a flexi - I know its more cash, but will save in the long run.

Al.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi All, sorry Al :) thanks for the advice but I'm not chasing numbers with this car...I'll just repair/replace when needed, there's plenty of little jobs to sort to keep me connected with the car.

I don't need this car to be fast, just enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Thanks for the heads up mate, I was thinking it might be the cam cover gasket as they usually harden, but glad you suspect that. I'll be back at my exhaust guy in a couple of weeks' time, so I will have a closer look then.

I need to get a passenger wing arch liner sorted as the one on there is broken...is that an Ebay job...or is there a go to place for parts mate?

A few other little jobs to keep me engaged and build my relationship with the car, after all, we hardly know each other, and I think you need to have that bond...if you don't look back at it when you park up and walk away, you're not connected.

Cheers for the advice.
Hi tcg,

I'm breaking my mrs mk6 1.25 zetec, I'll check out of the front plastic arch liners are the same on this and the ST and if so let u know.
Do you need any other non ST specific bits as the cars going for scrap and i'd prefer to pass on some bits if they are of use.

Al

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the offer mate but I've got two new arch liners on the way to me. The only other part I think I need to source is a front bumper stone guard (the bit of rubber that gets ripped off when a splitter is fitted)...I'll order a new one of them, in time, as there only around £45 and a used one would be well scuffed.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers for the pictures Al, your information has now put this job to the bottom of the list...if I could find a splitter that I could cut down to become a lip, that might be easier, just not a fan of splitters sticking out the front.

A previous owner was kind enough to leave some of the staples sticking out the bottom of the bumper, so I've removed them...are the red circles in your photo to depict the amount of blood loss achieved dealing with the staples?

Looks like a bumper off job so it can wait for now.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Cheers for the pictures Al, your information has now put this job to the bottom of the list...if I could find a splitter that I could cut down to become a lip, that might be easier, just not a fan of splitters sticking out the front.

A previous owner was kind enough to leave some of the staples sticking out the bottom of the bumper, so I've removed them...are the red circles in your photo to depict the amount of blood loss achieved dealing with the staples?

Looks like a bumper off job so it can wait for now.
HI tcg,
Yeah I think its a bumper off job, would be even more of a pig on the ground....
I was thinking that you could probably get away with not using staples as I doubt ford sell them and even if they did, youd need some kind of gun to fit them.
I was wondering if you could use some strong stainless steel wire as the holes are already in your bumper
lol... no this was one of those few occasions i didn't try and get staples out with my fingernails
Al

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think that's one for the back burner, I need to get a replacement clear side repeater as one of mine has 'frosted', so I'll go into my local parts dept. and ask about the bumper trim then...I also have a scuttle panel to sort, that's sticking out from where it meets the middle section of the windscreen.

Got round to giving the inside a bit of a valet and it is in good condition considering the number of owners the car has had, just a few tiny patches on the front seat bolsters that will need recovering, luckily, I can do that little job...

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design
Car Vehicle Automotive design Plant Personal luxury car
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Trunk

Did you spot the tape on the striker bolt?...there was a load more wrapped round it, apparently the previous owner did this as the tailgate was rattling, so I loosened the bolts and moved the striker plate in as much as possible...seems to have cured the rattle for now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts