Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've now had my 2013 ST180 for coming up to 7 years, and whilst its only covered 26000 miles since new (less than 4000 miles per year) it has however done a few track days, though to compensate I drive it like a granddad most of the time when its on the road. (Car runs a Collins CP2+ tune) I know that the recommended time/mile interval is either 10 years or 100,000 miles to change the cambelt , but I'm after the views from possibly better informed people than myself as to whether it would be wise to change it before the recommended interval/s bearing in mind the cars use. Thoughts?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I wouldnt be too concerned really , the belt is subjected to roughy the same heat/stress on a road as a track , its not in an area of the engine where the exhaust can degrade it with heat and the engine temp its self is regulated by coolant temps, so there will be a very small temp difference with road and track

I would pull the cover off and visually inspect it if you are nervous about it , check for cracks/rubber dust build ups ...other than that (If pulleys arnt noisy) swap it out at recommended intervals

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you're going to be doing it yourself I'd go ahead and do it. It's only around £100 for the belt kit and while it's not really necessary at this point its cheap insurance. That said if you're going to be getting a garage to get it then you're probably looking at around £500 so I'd leave it to the recommended interval but absolutely not longer than 10 years.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used to work in a Ford dealership.

I would strongly recommend changing the belt on or before the intervals.

Many times have I seen engines go because the owners have thought "it'll be alright for a couple of months" then blamo belt snapped.

For peace of mind I would change it. Mine has covered 55k now and its getting changed in a week.

HTH

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That kind of what I'm after knowing. Car (and cambelt) is now 7 years old and has done 26K. Recc interval to change it is I believe 10 years or 100K.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cost have maybe gone up (hasn't everything!) got mine booked in with a Ford main dealer. Cost of Cambelt/water pump/auxiliary belt change is £730 and that after haggling a bit of discount. Would appear that inflation is now a real thing.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
FJRS changed my belts and water pump a few weeks back and I’m glad it’s been done by those guys as it’s now given me peace of mind for the coming miles and years! 👍🏻

1 - 10 of 10 Posts