Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I've got an MK7 and I want to retro fit cruise control. I got all the pieces I need, but I need to remove the steeringwheel airbag to access the wires.
I just cannot remove it, I've watched several videos on how to remove it (and multiple posts on this forum) but it just won't move.
I insert a little flat head screw driver on the side, I can feel the spring clip, push on it and nothing happen. If I tried to pull on the airbag at the same time, it won't budge at all.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong of if it is stuck, but I would like some help and/or advices ?

·
Registered
272 Posts
You have to push the spring a bit harder, it will make a big clicking noise and the airbag will pop up on that side. That is the only way you know it is right with these. You can try to use a pry motion on the spring as if you are trying to pop it out too.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Hi,

I've got an MK7 and I want to retro fit cruise control. I got all the pieces I need, but I need to remove the steeringwheel airbag to access the wires.
I just cannot remove it, I've watched several videos on how to remove it (and multiple posts on this forum) but it just won't move.
I insert a little flat head screw driver on the side, I can feel the spring clip, push on it and nothing happen. If I tried to pull on the airbag at the same time, it won't budge at all.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong of if it is stuck, but I would like some help and/or advices ?
Have you seen my post here re. airbag removal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have to push the spring a bit harder, it will make a big clicking noise and the airbag will pop up on that side. That is the only way you know it is right with these. You can try to use a pry motion on the spring as if you are trying to pop it out too.
I tried pushing with all my strength, it just won't budge.

Have you seen my post here re. airbag removal
I went back to the car today, and tried your instruction.
It didn't work for me :(
I remove the plastic casing and tried going from behind the wheel. I can see the metal spring thingy, and I move it inwards with a flat head screwdriver, but the airbag still won't move at all.
I'm getting desperate, I think I'm gonna try to call a professionnal or a garage to help me.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I tried pushing with all my strength, it just won't budge.

I went back to the car today, and tried your instruction.
It didn't work for me :(
I remove the plastic casing and tried going from behind the wheel. I can see the metal spring thingy, and I move it inwards with a flat head screwdriver, but the airbag still won't move at all.
I'm getting desperate, I think I'm gonna try to call a professionnal or a garage to help me.
I know your frustration, I've been there fighting with the airbag, I've only removed it from the front, but it's not about strength, you've got to push in those pins all the way in while you're pulling at the airbag (one side at a time obviously) push the pin all the way in and that side of the airbag will pop out, when you do the next side be very careful because when that side pops out the airbag will come towards you and the wires are very short.

Again it's not about strength, main issue is getting the flat bladed screwdriver located on the pin and keeping it on the pin while inserting quite a bit of force to push the pin in far enough for it to pop out of the clip.

Easy to explain but can be sooo frustrating to do :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sometimes a woman can help. A girlfriends mirror, and the girlfriend can hold the flashlight so that you can see better.
If you don't have a girlfriend, that you ask some other dude to help you.
😉🤣

1 - 6 of 6 Posts