Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i been looking at carbon fibre vinyl online to do my wing mirrors, and know how easy this is or if there is a guide around somewhere? do i need specific vinyl?

Thanks

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hi, i been looking at carbon fibre vinyl online to do my wing mirrors, and know how easy this is or if there is a guide around somewhere? do i need specific vinyl?

Thanks
Get the 3M stuff, its very flexible when heated and allows air / air bubbles to escape very easily when applying.

Heres a rough guide, any problems just ask.

Items needed

• De-greaser
• Stanley Blade
• Warm Soapy Water
• Air Dryer / Heat Gun
• Squeegee
• Time & Patience

Guide

• As you are doing your wing mirror caps, remove these.

• De-grease the area you want to apply the vinyl to.

• Get a spray bottle and fill this with warm soapy water, only use a little bit of fairy liquid.

• Cut the vinyl to size, you will need about 2" over hang for the vinyl as it needs to stick around the cap.

• Do one part at a time, i would start from the middle of the wing mirror cap and work my way outwards.

• Now to get it to stretch how you want it to, you will need a hair dryer or heat gun. In my opinion i will use the hair dryer and this is the right temperature. Gently hover the hair dryer over the vinyl (around 10-12cm), when you begin to feel the vinyl get soft this is when you need to stretch and stick down. To release air bubbles you will need a squeegee, gently use this over the area yiu have stuck to push bubbles out. Keep doing this until its complete.

• Make sure you add light squirts of soapy water as this will help realease the air bubbles.

Any problems just ask fella, hope this helps.

Terry

·
Registered
344 Posts
I found the biggest and most important factor for doing this is heat and PATIENCE!!!

i lost my rag many times and almost wasted a whole 500mm x 1000mm doing my wing mirror caps without a hair dryer lol also dont do it outside, its just too windy!

I find out things the hard way so you dont have to
haha!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts