Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my ST2 two months now, on about 800 miles, and loving it.

The only niggle is the clutch pedal biting point which is not far off carpet level.

This makes clean gear changes a rarity, especially before its warmed up; the short gear lever doesn't help I guess.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

My Mk7 ST's had a silky smooth clutch and gear change using, I guess, the same clutch/transmission?

Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
55 Posts
My st3 which I bought in December with 7000 miles is the same.
Hence when driving away for the first time from the dealer promptly stalled it twice! With the dealer waving me off, I felt a bit of a ***.
Got used to it now, but smooth gear changes are not good especially when cold.
Paul

·
Registered
352 Posts
It's all in the timing I find with this car. It takes a very long time for the revs to drop so you need to leave the clutch in for longer than you might think for the revs to match the next gear. Also important to make sure you're off the clutch fully before you get back on the throttle.

I hadn't driven my ST for a week after driving a VW T5 at work and stalled it twice starting on the hill I live on.

You'll get used to it, then you'll immediately forget how to drive it if you drive anything else for a while

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's deeper than I'm used to but wouldn't say in the carpet.
That said, I've also found it difficult to get smooth changes with anything except high revs acceleration or the rare perfect h&t downshift.
Worst are the normal traffic upshifts because the revs just refuse to drop. Then again if I was in a hurry I'd be above 5500 where thankfully that drop as you'd expect.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's deeper than I'm used to but wouldn't say in the carpet.
That said, I've also found it difficult to get smooth changes with anything except high revs acceleration or the rare perfect h&t downshift.
Worst are the normal traffic upshifts because the revs just refuse to drop. Then again if I was in a hurry I'd be above 5500 where thankfully that drop as you'd expect.
I've noticed this, the car can be a bit jurky in 1st gear when going slow and is then a bit dodgy when changing up to 2nd. I also find it smoother changing into gear when going faster and revving it harder

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also think the gear changes are sometimes a bit clunky. Almost like theres two bite points on the clutch. I can reduce the effect if Im very slow and smooth when I bring up the clutch but if Im a bit casual or quick then the gear change tends to be a bit jerky. Ive done 1000 miles now. Will this settle down or is it something Ive got to get sorted?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I wanted to bring the car in for a "running-in oil change" at 1000. You could do that, and ask them to pay special attention to how the clutch feels on test drive.

The behaviour you described does not sound familiar, but words and feet don't always match so it might be normal. I know the speed of my left leg is tied to the driving style of the moment, poodling along I lift pretty gently.
I think if you were to change up rapidly and lifting as quick as, while driving otherwise gently, the revs would be too high and the powerplant would rock against the mounts making the car jerk a bit.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I also think the gear changes are sometimes a bit clunky. Almost like theres two bite points on the clutch. I can reduce the effect if Im very slow and smooth when I bring up the clutch but if Im a bit casual or quick then the gear change tends to be a bit jerky. Ive done 1000 miles now. Will this settle down or is it something Ive got to get sorted?
My car is the same. At 14k miles now and Ford have test drove it and said it's absolutely fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
How did Ford argue that it was normal Has it always been like that or has the clutch bite feel changed over time? Im really not convinced it should be like it is. I struggle to get a really smooth gear change into 2nd. I cant remember noticing it being like that before so cant say if its been like that from the start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts