Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads I've been looking at coilovers I don't really want to spend loads I'll never go on track I'm just looking to get rid of the gap and abit of b Road use iv looked at the stanced coilovers which seem very cheap and these Raceland Ford Fiesta MK7 Coilovers (JA8)Default Title

Has anyone got any advice and if I get coilovers do I have to buy anything else with them the stanced ones said something in the review about needing a top bracket? Thanks

· Administrator
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift ), 2005, MK6 zetec S
1,461 Posts
Hi Josh,

As you can see from thw Raceland site, thiers come pre fitted what looks like adjustable top mounts / bearings

Light Gas Auto part Composite material Font

Where as the Stance ones don't

Body jewelry Automotive tire Earrings Violet Magenta

So you'd need new top bearings ( just like if you were changing normal suspension legs ) and a spring compressor to compress the spring prior to building the leg up.

Light Automotive tire Product Camera lens Camera accessory

Obviously the ones in the pic above arn't adjustable. - fronts, u'd need backs as well

To me coil overs are just like most things, you get what you pay for and I have no experience of either brand.
Only thing I would say is if you do get coil overs, grease the threads, where the locking rings go as they with our weather they will corrode and sieze up over time.

Hope that helps

Al

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Josh,

As you can see from thw Raceland site, thiers come pre fitted what looks like adjustable top mounts / bearings

View attachment 590841

Where as the Stance ones don't

View attachment 590842

So you'd need new top bearings ( just like if you were changing normal suspension legs ) and a spring compressor to compress the spring prior to building the leg up.

View attachment 590843

Obviously the ones in the pic above arn't adjustable. - fronts, u'd need backs as well

To me coil overs are just like most things, you get what you pay for and I have no experience of either brand.
Only thing I would say is if you do get coil overs, grease the threads, where the locking rings go as they with our weather they will corrode and sieze up over time.

Hope that helps

Al
Okay sound thanks mate so the first ones will just go straight on? With nothing else . I want it lower and someone told me coilovers are cheaper to get fitted then springs and if you can get decent coilovers cheap it would work out cheaper then getting springs put on but I don't know I have little knowledge on that stuff .
Thanks

· Administrator
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift ), 2005, MK6 zetec S
1,461 Posts
Okay sound thanks mate so the first ones will just go straight on? With nothing else . I want it lower and someone told me coilovers are cheaper to get fitted then springs and if you can get decent coilovers cheap it would work out cheaper then getting springs put on but I don't know I have little knowledge on that stuff .
Thanks
Hi Josh,
yeah the top ones will go straight on.

theres always +/- on every choice, and it depends if youve got to pay for everyting or theres stuff you can do yourself (or wiith help)
my gut feeling (with me doing the work myself), is that just fitting lowering springs would be the cheepest option as you only need the 4 springs and a set of spring compressors
, but you have to work out how low you want it and only get 1 chance, if you get it wrong you need another set of springs 9the correct length)

With coil overs the parts price would be higher, but the labour less, and you can adjust them until you get the drop as you want it.

If I were you I'd give some garages a call to discuss both options.

Al

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Josh,
yeah the top ones will go straight on.

theres always +/- on every choice, and it depends if youve got to pay for everyting or theres stuff you can do yourself (or wiith help)
my gut feeling (with me doing the work myself), is that just fitting lowering springs would be the cheepest option as you only need the 4 springs and a set of spring compressors
, but you have to work out how low you want it and only get 1 chance, if you get it wrong you need another set of springs 9the correct length)

With coil overs the parts price would be higher, but the labour less, and you can adjust them until you get the drop as you want it.

If I were you I'd give some garages a call to discuss both options.

Al
Okay mate thanks

· Registered
Mk7 ST-3
336 Posts
Set of lowering springs plus fitting should still be cheaper than coilovers, plus cheap coilovers tend to be a bit crap usually, car could end up handling worse. Demontweeks have a sale on Eibach springs at the mo.
Only need spring compressors for the front, so it's not a huge job for a half competent mechanic, even I managed to fit some to mine.
Hours labour ish should do it unless things are seized.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Set of lowering springs plus fitting should still be cheaper than coilovers, plus cheap coilovers tend to be a bit crap usually, car could end up handling worse. Demontweeks have a sale on Eibach springs at the mo.
Only need spring compressors for the front, so it's not a huge job for a half competent mechanic, even I managed to fit some to mine.
Hours labour ish should do it unless things are seized.
Okay mate thanks iv spoke to a mechanic and he said 150 to fit springs so I'm definitely going down that route

· Read Only
16 Posts
Hi lads I've been looking at coilovers I don't really want to spend loads I'll never go on track I'm just looking to get rid of the gap and abit of b Road use iv looked at the stanced coilovers which seem very cheap and these Raceland Ford Fiesta MK7 Coilovers (JA8)Default Title

Has anyone got any advice and if I get coilovers do I have to buy anything else with them the stanced ones said something in the review about needing a top bracket? Thanks
I got a set of Silvers and in less than a year the front shocks have lost their dampening.. I just want to get rid of this car now. Absolute heap of ****. I even replaced all the suspension bushings with power flex bushes. The front is so sloppy and bouncy I don't even want to drive it anymore.

· Read Only
16 Posts
Surely that's an issue with the coilovers rather than the car?
Yeah but I don't want to have to buy another set a year after I bought these. And it's got an intermittent misfire at idle and nobody knows what it is. It over heats every time I stop for a few minutes. Just over it, it's like torture driving it to work and back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts