Fiesta ST Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Got a dyno booked in for tomorrow, at AJ Motorsport in Essex.
Been told its a bit of a heartbreaker, last 2R car made 236bhp and the highest stage 2 has been 240bhp.
Never been that into dyno figures, but it's on my door step and bank holiday deal of 3 runs for £30, I thought why not.
Looking on their social media's, they do seem harsh on some but others do make claimed power, so will be interesting. Not seen any silly high numbers though, not expecting pumaspeeds claim of over 250 put it that way lol.
Dyno's read crazy different. I wouldn't get hung up on the figures.

They are more useful if you re-run on the same dyno with a different set up, as you can see changes.

·
Super Moderator
23,583 Posts
Yeah, pay more attention to things like the AFR and the curves than the peak figures.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

Had the dyno done this morning, bit hit and miss. Car only made 220bhp, not to the wheels either. Torque was bang on pumaspeeds claim, 302lbs.
Before the 1st run the mechanic asked how far I had to drive, because I had intake temps of 40+ degrees, he said I won't get near 240 with them and he was right. Data logged on the 2nd run and everything is running spot on, afr, boost and timing all exactly what they should be.
He reccomended changing the st200 airbox for an itg, something I'll look into.
As I arrived a revo rt330 was about to leave, he made 285 so wasn't too disappointed.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I knew the car would be warm arriving and going on, but not that hot. He said if you want the cars peak numbers, intakes should be no higher than 20, mine were double that. Lesson learned for if I dyno again, arrive a good 20 mins or half hour and let the car properly cool down.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
I knew the car would be warm arriving and going on, but not that hot. He said if you want the cars peak numbers, intakes should be no higher than 20, mine were double that. Lesson learned for if I dyno again, arrive a good 20 mins or half hour and let the car properly cool down.
Regardless of how you can get higher dyno numbers, it does also raise the point that the same temps and thus associated drop in performance would be seen in a road car 🤔

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
On the way home my temps dropped back down to ambient while driving, about 21. When I got home it took 10 mins of sitting still to go up to 40 degrees.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
On the way home my temps dropped back down to ambient while driving, about 21. When I got home it took 10 mins of sitting still to go up to 40 degrees.
Seems to suggest that the airflow on the dyno wasn't sufficient then, if during the runs the intake temps were still 40c+?

That would be proven by the fact that during driving, your temps were a touch above ambient.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Seems to suggest that the airflow on the dyno wasn't sufficient then, if during the runs the intake temps were still 40c+?

That would be proven by the fact that during driving, your temps were a touch above ambient.
As soon as he put it on the dyno, he called out the window and showed me the intake temps. He let the fan try to cool it, but it just carried on rising. I must admit, it's the smallest fan I've seen on a dyno.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
I've seen bigger fans in houses during summer ha. It seems extremely small, which potentially would also mean the spread of air is very direct and might not even reach the cold air intake tube of the Mountune airbox assuming the hose is behind the foglight.

I don't think this is a "heartbreaker" dyno, it looks just to be a poor set up.

For reference, here is the size of the fan on the dyno I used for power runs and mapping

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I must admit, they had builders in still installing lights etc, BT were there hooking up the Internet as well. The unit next door was also having builders in, so the air quality was probably very poor. My 1st video I did, builders walked past so I had to restart it lol. They've only been in 2 weeks, I maybe should've waited.
I'm glad I only spent £30 after looking at the set up you went to Alex lol. Thinking of the location of the ST200 airbox airfeed, I imagine it was just sucking in dusty air from the corner of the unit lol.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Yeah, at £30 it's nothing lost really and you've learnt something... So all good.

If you're in the South West, then the place I went to is near Castle Combe. Would be an interesting comparison then.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Yeah, at £30 it's nothing lost really and you've learnt something... So all good.

If you're in the South West, then the place I went to is near Castle Combe. Would be an interesting comparison then.
I've only logged my car on torque pro on my phone, so was good to have it logged by them with forscan and everything be OK as well. Having to do it yourself can be a pain.
I'm from Essex as well, few other dynos I could've gone to. Will see in the future if AJ improve the set up or look elsewhere.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'd be tempted to get it on a dastek or Maha and see what you get as they can load the car up properly. What Version of 2R are you on? You'll see best on V8.

·
Super Moderator
23,583 Posts
That fan is never going to shift the same amount of air as would be seen in real world driving. No wonder the intake temps were so high, probably only moving air over the middle half of the intercooler/rad, let alone under the car, into the intake etc.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts