Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wonder if it's to do with how hot and dry of a summer we've had the past few years? Maybe could be what's affecting the window seals on some models too.

Then again I'm no engineer and it's purely speculation. Best of luck with ford!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Black as a colour option doesn't exactly help, but Ford sell cars in hotter countries than the UK and it should be able to cope.

By the same token I'm sure some of our Scandinavian friends giggle when we mention 'extreme cold' 😄

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wonder if it's to do with how hot and dry of a summer we've had the past few years? Maybe could be what's affecting the window seals on some models too.

Then again I'm no engineer and it's purely speculation. Best of luck with ford!
Yeah it could be one of the possiblities temp wise, can't think of any other reason really, there's little to no movement in that area, highly unlikely a foreign object hitting it. I'm pretty sure it's cracked under its own. I rang my Ford garage who did my 3rd service and MOT but got transfered in the end and think it was just a general call centre. It's booked in to get looked at tomorrow morning and get the Body Shop to look at it too, that's all thats been mentioned really just look. Could be just one panel to replace i don't know if it's the total roof out. Fingers crossed it goes ok and get done under warrenty

·
Super Moderator
24,349 Posts
I'd say it's highly likely to be hit by a foreign object, not unlikely.

Is the time of year where acorns are falling, among other plant life, branches...birds dropping them or other stuff they've picked up...stones thrown up from other road users. A whole host of likely possibilities.

·
Premium Member
2005, MK6 ST150 (pre face lift )
1,213 Posts
I'd say it's highly likely to be hit by a foreign object, not unlikely.

Is the time of year where acorns are falling, among other plant life, branches...birds dropping them or other stuff they've picked up...stones thrown up from other road users. A whole host of likely possibilities.
Really....... Is the car that brittle that an "acorn" could knacker it ?
If you'd have said an elephant or blue whale fell on it, I could understand, but an "acorn" ......... Really
If I worked for Ford and knew an "acorn" could destroy what I'd built, I'd fall on my sword :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
24,349 Posts
Hit one at 60mph and then tell me it doesn't hurt you...

For reference, a 2.5 gram dust cap on a Veyron ends up weighing the equivalent of 16lbs at full speed...that's just over 7kg.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Hit one at 60mph and then tell me it doesn't hurt you...

For reference, a 2.5 gram dust cap on a Veyron ends up weighing the equivalent of 16lbs at full speed...that's just over 7kg.
Hi AMc
I'm not taking this seriously as the crack is right on top of this poor mans car.
"acorns" don;t normaly drop horizontally @ 60 mph ( physics )
Veyron dust caps don't drop out of the sky ( physics )
If you are a moderator, please moderate - this car ovbiously has a fault - unless of course you work for Ford get out of claims dept ( which I'm sure you don't ) :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
24,349 Posts
So you're denying that tiny little stones don't crack solid glass windscreens... Okay 🙂

Acorn was just one example, there are copious other potential objects that it could have been. A stone for one.

I am a mod, yes. Also a long time owner and member and allowed to share a differing opinion.

·
Super Moderator
24,349 Posts
That's a fair comment, I did notice that too. But I still think that a glancing blow at speed, of something like a tiny stone, would be enough to do that sort of damage, which wouldn't necessarily leave a mark. It's not a massive chip or smashed, just a short, sharp impact causing a hairline fracture.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No can't see any impact marks and the people at Ford said they couldnt see any impact marks either. Thier baffled on how it's happened. It's unlikely a foreign object hit it as the roof is way less of an angle that the front of the car is,the roof is ny on flat

·
Super Moderator
24,349 Posts
Fair play, that teeeny bit of lip just where it meets the windscreen is still a possible impact location. Granted it's small, but still possible.

Have you heard any strange noises whilst driving at all recently, used the sunroof? Or was it not there and you literally just noticed it when approaching it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah i have got a strange noise, sounds like a rattling noise. I thought it was the lid from my plastic case of bits and bobs in the boot. I need to take that out tomorrow to see if the noise is still there. If it is there i need to tell Ford. Noise started about a week or so ago maybe 2. i did wash the car about a week ago and i didn't notice the crack while washing it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
As I've never remotely entertained the notion of having a pano roof I have no reference points for where exactly on the roof that crack is. Could you therefore please give me a steer, especially if the crack is central (to the width of the car) and if the panel has any, even very faint, curve in it.

The reason I ask is that crack is suspiciously straight, more of a faultline than the usual chaos of a random smash. Faultlines take distinct paths, usually directly linked to where the pressure comes from.

If its curved at all and, speculating a possible cause here, were the panel to be under lateral compression (a faulty 'pinched' fit for example) the centre of that curve would be the point of maximum stress. Under tension it'd still take something to make it go, but that is where it would go.

Now. If its central the theory still stands up...if its not then please move along, nothing to see here 😄

As for acorns I'm sure this has come up before on here... they can make one helluva bang. I've been around a lot of gunfire in a 'past life' and when one hit my screen I was 'right back in 'Nam' 😳

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Found it... t'wasnt an acorn but a fir cone under discussion after Uncle Ken went banging in the woods. Interestingly, almost exactly this time last year, hmmm coincidence? 🤔

...most probably 🤣

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
As I've never remotely entertained the notion of having a pano roof I have no reference points for where exactly on the roof that crack is. Could you therefore please give me a steer, especially if the crack is central (to the width of the car) and if the panel has any, even very faint, curve in it.

The reason I ask is that crack is suspiciously straight, more of a faultline than the usual chaos of a random smash. Faultlines take distinct paths, usually directly linked to where the pressure comes from.

If its curved at all and, speculating a possible cause here, were the panel to be under lateral compression (a faulty 'pinched' fit for example) the centre of that curve would be the point of maximum stress. Under tension it'd still take something to make it go, but that is where it would go.

Now. If its central the theory still stands up...if its not then please move along, nothing to see here 😄

As for acorns I'm sure this has come up before on here... they can make one helluva bang. I've been around a lot of gunfire in a 'past life' and when one hit my screen I was 'right back in 'Nam' 😳
you’ve made some good comments there like.
Yeah I’d say it has a curve on it the trim anyway. And yeah the crack is in centre . I’ve mentioned it to Ford dealer a few times to different people, I think it’s cracked under pressure. Maybe a slight flex here and there when driving and bang the crack happened

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
So you're denying that tiny little stones don't crack solid glass windscreens... Okay 🙂

Acorn was just one example, there are copious other potential objects that it could have been. A stone for one.

I am a mod, yes. Also a long time owner and member and allowed to share a differing opinion.
Hello AMc,

Please accept my appologies for the " moderator bit " of my previous reply. Sorry.

This bit might be " really stupid / niave " but - I worked in service departments in the Motor Trade for over 20 years, ( never at Ford ) and I'm my experience, if theres a " production fault" with a specific part, it very rarely manifests itself as a single occurance.
Do Ford use a database that would show how many times this part will have been changed ( across the country/europe/world) ?
If so it would give an indication of wether its a single "impact issue" or if there is a manufacturing fault.
Also, having never been in a position to buy a new Ford, would a call to Ford UK customer services be beneficial, as again in my experience Local dealers never admit to fault trends ( even if they are well known )
Thx

1 - 20 of 31 Posts