Fiesta ST Forums banner
81 - 100 of 185 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Coilovers made a HUGE difference in terms of ride quality. Full soft is much smoother than stock and full hard is back breaking. I once made the mistake of driving to a track on full hard and my headlights were useless as they were vibrating all over the place as the car reacted to every road imperfection.

I have to say, of all the mods I've done, the coilovers were probably the most "game changing" for me. It really changed the feel of the car for the better.

I personally use KW ST XTA, but I was also tempted by BC Racing, but the former were in sale at the time and I could get them tax free.

Two things to note though. The rear damper adjustment will require slits cut in the carpet assuming adjustment is on the top.

The front adjustment will require that the strut towers are widened to allow access to the adjuster.

Let me know if any photos of that would help
Thanks Alex, I'll definitely consider the KW ST XTA's when on market for coilovers.

Good write up, glad you're happy. I can't imagine how fast it feels, I already think mine making 242hp/296lbft is too fast for the road.

I would love to have a ride in it one day if you're ever in the South West. I've never been in a turbo swap ST.

Might be worth looking at Renault Brembos if you feel you want more brakes. Very cost effective and 4 pots should have a nice stopping ability to match the extra pace of the car.
I imagine yours being like my sons 2R, big slug of torque very low down and pulls very strong through midrange but because there's that hit low down it levels off and doesn't seem to get stronger further up the rev range because the stock turbo is already maxed out, with the S280 above 3k it is relentless and where the stock turbo has maxed out this just pulls aggressively to the limiter which I think is around 6750rpm, I know some tuners go to 7200+rpm to get max power.

Power has to be fed in, even on a hot dry day with decent PS3 tyres in 3rd gear you can't just plant your right foot, it will lose traction which is a bit scary at national speed limit and then there's the torque steer, basically you need your wits about you.

I'm not usually down your neck of the woods but we'll hopefully be attending some shows this year so maybe there's a chance of meeting up.

Not sure what I'll be doing with the brakes, I'll be keeping with the 15" 1.2's so I guess these will limit which BBK fit underneath without using thick spacers.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Really good write up mate, I'm going for a drive out tomorrow around Derbyshire and the Peaks, can't wait.
Cheers Dave, have a good one mate.

I'll be out tomorrow but going the other way, need to do an errand out Melton Mowbray way so will try to find some nice roads out that way then hopefully home in time for the start of BTCC.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
Been playing around with engine mounts for the past couple of months, first started when my Mountune RMM failed which was replaced with a CP unit, top right engine mount had more play in it than expected so I swapped that out for a Vibra-Technics FOR630M mount, that caused a faint but annoying knock/rattle when starting the engine, then I bought a new Ford OEM mount and fitted that, I had an inkling the knock with the VT mount was either exhaust or left transmission mount, I put the VT mount back on which I've decided to keep with and address cat-back rear silencer rubbers and transmission mount.

Powerflex Transmission Inserts and Ford Focus RS MK2 Exhaust Hanger Rubbers finis# 1688752.

Attempted to fit the Transmission inserts myself but failed miserably, car battery and battery tray needs removing to access the transmission mount, the ECU is bolted on the side of the battery tray with I think shear bolts which I think need drilling out, I'm sure you can leave the ECU on the side of the battery tray and bend it out of the way, I tried this but things were very tight and I didn't want to put too much strain on the ECU wiring so mission aborted, I ended up having a drive down to Matt Lewis MotorSport and his guys had it replaced within about 30 mins, also had them replace the two tired Powerflex exh005 rear silencer rubbers with the two RS ones.

The annoying knock/rattle on start-up has now done so all good, car does feel very tight over the front end, can feel less engine movement on gear changes, probably a tiny bit more vibration on idle, but very minor and not excessive.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Stocked up on some essentials.

Camera accessory Fluid Reflex camera Camera lens Cameras & optics

Liquid Product Cosmetics Fluid Personal care

Was getting low on shampoo and decided to try Garage Therapy's offering, used it for the first time yesterday and was impressed, wanted another snow-foam lance for apc or priming the car with shampoo so went with the MJJC Pro which is getting good reviews.

All the other stuff I've been using a few years, AF Tripple is a very good AIO polish, Perl is a concentrate which is diluted down with water in various ratios for external and internal plastic/rubbers, leaves a non-greasy finish, neat or 1:1 it's a very good tyre dressings. Koch Chemie Fse is a very good detail spray in itself but it's party trick is stubborn water spots, this stuff just melts them away.

Spent a few hours fighting with the DA, machine polishing is a job I'm not keen on, de-tarred, iron removal, clay-bar and polished the O/S rear quarter, door and front wing, hopefully finish polishing this weekend.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Photograph

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
Nothing much to report, clocked over 2000 faultless miles with the S280 turbo, MPG still stupidly high but I think I know why, I'm running 15" wheels with 195x50 tyres which are 19mm shorter in diametre compared to stock 205x40 tyres, this means speedo is reading a tad higher which I guess makes the car think I've travelled further than it actually has?

I'll be putting on my Ultraleggera wheels within the next couple of weeks, these are 16" with 205x45 tyres which are only 6mm shorter in diametre compared to stock, so will be interesting to see how it affects my MPG readings.

On the subject of wheels, I've sold my ST200 wheels, I'm usually not the one for selling stuff but I just wasn't going to be using them, I still think they are the best looking wheel for a SB MK7ST, totally transforms the look of the car imho but I wanted to go smaller/lighter-weight wheel and thicker profile tyre, plus I can get rid of the spacers, wouldn't surprise me though when I've done messing around with wheels and tyres that I get another set of ST200 wheels. Anyway I've sold them to a forum member, so Andrew hope you look after them like I tried to.

Couple of random pics from a nice drive to Carsington Water, Derbyshire.

Replaced the resin in my Di Vessel Water Filter.

This drops with PPM reading from 176 to 000

Can highly recommend these water filters, no more rushing around trying to dry the car, no more water spots, just rinse the car with the filter inline and walk away.

Finally got around to trying the MJCC foam cannon which all the detailing YouTubers are raving about.

Nothing special to be honest, I got thicker foam from my 6 year old Autobrite Italian PA foam lance, plus the MJJC uses twice as much product, I used a full bottle to cover the car where as I get two washes out of my PA lance, in the MJJC I replaced the 1.25 orifice with a 1.1 but still the same, the PA lance has a 1.25 orifice but uses half the amount of product and produces a slightly thicker foam, MJJC lance gets a thumbs down from me.

I wanted another snow foam cannon to use with a weak dilution of car shampoo, I used to have to mess around emptying my PA lance so I could put in the shampoo mixture but now I'll use the MJJC for that and keep with the PA lance for snow foam.

I've noticed since priming the paintwork (one side of the car at a time) with shampoo before contact wash then at the end hose drying the car with filtered water and not drying it with a towel I'm getting far less swirl marks if any at all.

Had to replace my VIPER windscreen flashing LED, apparently they are known to go dim after a couple of years, mine lasted 6 years so not too bad.

Had a couple of 3d printed badges with gel inlays made up by DMB Graphics, Dave did a cracking job. Not everyone's cup of tea but I think they look good.

Attended Ford Power Live at Donnington a few weeks ago, turnout wasn't the best but a quality Sunday morning with my sons plus it was local and beat peeling spuds.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Car looks well mate , been interested in one of these water filter for a while now , are they worth it ? I have 3 cars and if I don’t dry them after washing they are covered in white water spots

if can leave them to dry naturally and not get the spots it would be amazing !

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
Car looks well mate , been interested in one of these water filter for a while now , are they worth it ? I have 3 cars and if I don’t dry them after washing they are covered in white water spots

if can leave them to dry naturally and not get the spots it would be amazing !
Thanks mate.

These water filters are a godsend, mine is the 11 litre size, most filters come with resin inside but usually it's low quality, I was told the Tulsion MB115 is a good one so I bought a 25kg bag of that.

At first I kept the filter inline all the time and unsurprisingly it didn't last as long as I was expecting, now I only put the filter inline on final rinse and it's lasted well over a year before the PPM reading started to rise.

sme101 made a good post re. these vessels, I'll try and find it for you.

edit: here you go (y)

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I don't know. I think you need more BSD! You might run out in the next decade! 😆
Apologies Kev I missed your post, yep I've definitely gone ott on the bsd, my lads got into a habit of using it on their bikes so the odd bottle I had used to go missing.

Absolutely stunning mate. Surprised it’s not been picked up for a magazine feature.
Thanks for that Dave, in person my car doesn't look anything out of the ordinary but appreciated the kind words though (y)

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Finally got around to fitting the OZ Ultraleggeras, looks wise I prefer the chunky DT 1.2's, well it's the colour I prefer most, never been a massive fan of black wheels, in photo's they just get lost in the arches, they do look better in person though. Not wanting to tempt fate but if ever I need to have them refurbed I'll definitely get the colour matched to the 1.2's.

Main reason I bought these wheels were to go 16". I like the look of the 15's and the extra bit of tyre profile does mellow out the ride a tad more but the extra body roll on the 15's (on RainSport3's) takes some getting used to.

On the twisties the car handles much better on the 16's and new 205x45 PS3's which is to be expected especially at this time of year.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well that was a morning well spent. Great read Darran and the cars looking mint!
If you're after a refurb place in the mids, I've just sent mine to city refurbs in Birmingham with a 7 day turnaround and the price is brilliant

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Well that was a morning well spent. Great read Darran and the cars looking mint!
If you're after a refurb place in the mids, I've just sent mine to city refurbs in Birmingham with a 7 day turnaround and the price is brilliant
I do waffle on sometimes so thanks for reading :ROFLMAO:

Cheers for the refurb info.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 · (Edited)
During last wash I noticed a scratch on rear bumper, opportunity to try out the SPTA Micro Cordless Polisher I recently bought.

Probable culprit is our Sylvia (Border Terrier).

1200 and 3000 grit wet and dry sandpaper

Meguiars 105 Ultra-cut Compound & 205 Ultra-Finishing Polish topped off with Auto Finesse Tripple.

Scratch completely removed.

The SPTA can be used as a DA or Rotary by removing the collar, wouldn't say it's Pro quality, aimed more at a DIY weekend warrior but ok for the money.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)
A few weeks ago @Dave28 mentioned on here he had a bit of rust on the end of the sills under each rear arch, I checked mine and yep mine had the same issue but worse.

No doubt there's trendier/better car oriented materials than Hammerite but it's what I decided to go with plus I may have gone a tad overboard with coverage but at least the arch liner covers the majority.

While changing wheels I noticed the wheel arch/sill repair I did 10 months ago is showing signs of wear where the bottom inch or so is exposed, I guess the paint I used isn't tough enough for that exposed section.

On attempt #2 I've gone the same as in grind to bare metal

Treat with rust converter, two coats of metal paint but this time finished off with two extra thick coats of Stone Chip Shield

If this doesn't work I'll bin the Hammerite stuff and find something better, if it does work I might do all of the rear wheel arches.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
Nothing much to report, got some bits to refresh the front suspension, top mounts, strut top bearings and bushes and a few other minor bits, just OEM Ford stuff.

MPG still stupidly high but I think I know why, I'm running 15" wheels with 195x50 tyres which are 19mm shorter in diametre compared to stock 205x40 tyres, this means speedo is reading a tad higher which I guess makes the car think I've travelled further than it actually has?

I'll be putting on my Ultraleggera wheels within the next couple of weeks, these are 16" with 205x45 tyres which are only 6mm shorter in diametre compared to stock, so will be interesting to see how it affects my MPG readings.
I was wrong about the smaller diametre tyres throwing off my MPG, I put the larger OZ's and tyres on at 24th July and it didn't affect the AVG MPG, since then I have refitted the 15" 1.2's.

Yesterdays fuel up got the best AVG MPG I've ever had since buying the car new in May 2015, did 463 miles on that tank, about 150 miles were Motorway miles but a lot of those were stop start on M62. Seeing those MPG figures it's hard to believe I do give the car a regular kicking but in-between the beatings I do enjoy driving with mechanical sympathy in mind which brings good fuel economy, with the S280 you don't have to go anywhere near the redline, fun can be had with short part throttle bursts and change up around 4k rpm.

Had a couple of very early trips around Lincolnshire, couldn't help nipping into Cadwell Park for a brew and a breakfast:

Went to Ford Fair with my sons, drive down saw fewer cars on the road, attendance was down compared to last few years but still enjoyed it:

Decided not to bother with upgrading the radiator (I lied, radiator upgrade here), I'll keep with the stock diff until the clutch needs replacing, even though I've bought those front suspension bits if I do spend more on the car I reckon money would be better spent on some decent coilovers, but for now I'm just enjoying putting miles on the car.

Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Nothing much to report since last months post.

Before the current fuel fiasco I popped into Cadwell Park again for breakfast:

Tire Wheel Sky Car Land vehicle

Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Managed to make a brief appearance on a guys video who I'm subscribed to on YouTube (54 seconds in) :LOL:

Treat car to a maintenance wash using G101 APC then BH autofoam in snowfoam lance, Garage Therapy Car Shampoo and topped off with P&S Bead Maker.

Tire Grille Automotive tire Hood Synthetic rubber

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Hubcap

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
Again nothing much to report, apart for a few bits ordered for a six monthly service nothing much planned as in upgrades.

Exactly 6 months since turbo upgrade, done 5000 faultless miles in that time.

Must be 4 weeks since it's last wash, so definitely in need of some TLC.

Rinse
G101 APC in snow lance
BH autofoam x2
Contact wash with Garage Therapy Shampoo (brill product)
Decon with Autosmart Tardis followed by their Red 7 fallout remover
Last rinse with filtered water
Finished off with Soft99 Fusso Coat, not the most user friendly sealant but durability is very good so might last over the winter.
Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Font Auto part

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Grille Hood Car Motor vehicle

Daytime Grille Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Photograph Vehicle registration plate Grille

Water Colorfulness Liquid Blue Purple

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Car had done 5000 miles since it's last service which was done while at PERON HQ for Turbo upgrade, I've always serviced car every 6 months/6k miles so time for a home service.

Service parts were ordered, I'd been in contact with PERON HQ and they had confirmed spark plug gaps should be set to .6mm.

Product Automotive tire Gas Font Technology

I'd noticed a while ago the Airtec Cold-Side Boost Pipe was very close to the oil filter so wasn't looking forward to disturbing boost pipes and connectors, I know it's nothing complicated but I don't like disturbing stuff like that especially when the car has been running faultlessly.

Plant Flower Motor vehicle Automotive tire Petal

After removing the small bracket on the cold-side boost pipe there was enough wiggle room to remove the oil filter with the boost pipe insitu, will say though the oil filter was on tight :mad:

Tin Beverage can Aluminum can Drinkware Tin can

Spark Plugs removed and on checking the gaps all four were .75mm which I think is the gap they come with, looks like the guy who serviced the car forgot to re-gap them to .6mm, not good, it's things like this is why I prefer to service my car myself, it's not that it saves money but you know it's done correctly.

Tool Bicycle part Wood Metalworking hand tool Auto part

Camera accessory Camera lens Household hardware Lens Font

Tire Wheel Light Vehicle Hood

Shout out to Matt Lewis Motorsport, always cheapest for Ford Plugs with 48hr delivery.

Coolant Expansion tank and cap are prone to failure so I like to replace the cap every other year, I reckon it's about time I replaced the expansion tank, prevention etc.

Ingredient Alcoholic beverage Drink Transparency Tin can

Finally got around to replacing the main (H1) and dipped beam (H7) bulbs, definitely a marked improvement over the stock bulbs.

Vehicle Car Hood Grille Light

Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Font

To finish off the service I've ordered an ITG Air Filter service kit, so hopefully remove the intake this coming weekend.

Anyone with an ITG or PERON foam filter, how often do you clean and re-oil the filter?

81 - 100 of 185 Posts