Fiesta ST Forums banner
121 - 140 of 175 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Drinkware Liquid Blue Fluid Cup

I'm sure I've mentioned before but anyone wanting to reduce marring/swirls a good tip is to prime the car with a shampoo solution through a foam cannon before contact wash:
Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

In higher temps I'll do two or three panels at a time then rinse, Garage Therapy /ONE Shampoo is very good, super slick, best shampoo I've used.

Paintwork is looking a little hazy and in need of a good strip wash, over the past few months it's been waxed, had various sealants and detail sprays applied and today it's XANOS DSB which I've got litres of:

Bottle Liquid Blue Fluid Drink

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Blue

Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Grey Bag

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
With the catch can, how do you drain it? Is there a drain port below, or do you need to unbolt the entire can each time?

Secondly, do be careful with that coolant line. They are extremely brittle, especially over time and were changed in the revised coolant system, to a much thicker line.

In fact, maybe it's a good project to update the coolant system to the new style, if you're planning on keeping the car.

The Vudu can looks like a really nice piece of kit though. I'm tempted.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 · (Edited)
Would you say the catch can is a worthwhile investment?
Not sure I see this type of modification (or any type of car modification tbh) as an investment but this one is more as a preventative measure. My car's now done 57k miles so no doubt they'll already be carbon build up on top of the valves, if the catch can can help slow down further build up I'll be happy.

With the catch can, how do you drain it? Is there a drain port below, or do you need to unbolt the entire can each time?
There is a drain port on the bottom or you can simply unscrew the main body of the catch can.

Secondly, do be careful with that coolant line. They are extremely brittle, especially over
time and were changed in the revised coolant system, to a much thicker line.
I think it's the top hose (the one above the coolant level) which is brittle on the older cars hence the coolant recall, mine has the flexible hoses and didn't need the recall done but yes that hose touching the catch can wasn't good, I went back out yesterday and pulled through another inch or so of the hose:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Hood Tire

then loosened the hose clamp and gave the hose an 1/8th of a turn which positioned it nicely away from the catch can:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake Rim Automotive lighting

I'll be still keeping an eye on it though.

In fact, maybe it's a good project to update the coolant system to the new style, if you're planning on keeping the car.
Yep I agree, well the way I drive the car maybe a new aftermarket radiator might be a bit overkill but a new expansion tank which are known to crack and leak with age and also new hoses would be a good idea.

I have thought about an uprated radiator, the airtec unit is fairly priced compared to Pro Alloys so I'm looking forward to how your brother get's on with his :), has he had it fitted yet?

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 · (Edited)
After fitting the Pro Alloy Curved Intercooler the gap between the bumper and n/s wing wasn't quite right, plus the bumper clips along the bottom seems tight, also with the engine idling the front reg plate vibrates a bit which it didn't do before fitting the intercooler, didn't have these issues when we fitted the same cooler on my lads car so I knew something wasn't quite right with mine.

Took bumper off this morning and noticed the issue straight away:

Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exhaust Road surface Synthetic rubber

Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive parking light

Had a play around with the pipe work and fitment is a little better but the intercooler elbow is still touching the bumper, there's plenty of clearance around the back of the intercooler end tank pipe, it's as though it wanted bending in another 5 or 10mm, I'm not going to attempt to bend it so might contact Pro Alloy and see what they suggest, I've had the cooler coming up to 18 months so they might not be interested.

While the bumper was off I removed the front grill and annoyed the neighbours for an hour while I did an aero modification :ROFLMAO:

Automotive tire Hood Light Liquid Fluid

:eek:
Helmet Shoe Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Sports gear Sports equipment

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Line

Watercraft Rectangle Vehicle Tints and shades Automotive exterior

Seriously though I regularly monitor coolant temp, at 30, 40, 50mph temp is usually around 96C to 98C, but at 70mph (+) the extra airflow reduces coolant temp every time to around 93C, so I guess a little extra airflow can only help.

Halfords HFX221 Number Plate Tape used again to fix the plate back on.
Tire Grille Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

This stuff is doubled sided, all you have to do is avoid the raised centre moulding on the bumper and double up on the tape so some on the bumper and the same on the plate, word of warning though make sure you have the plate positioned plumb and centre because when it's on it's not coming off without a lot of effort and tar and glue remover.

Rectangle Sleeve Wood Denim Font

·
Registered
2014 Mk7 ST-3
220 Posts
I'd always though maybe touching 300bhp was the absolute limit for standard internals on these.
Took me longer than I'd like to admit to realise yours is about 300whp..

Now I've something else to add to the list. Likely the end of the list given the price though ha.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Hey,

I'm fitting my Vudu catch can today (you prompted me to get one!).

Does yours sit at a slight angle on the engine mount bracket? The bottom angles towards the alternator pulley, though clears it by half a centimetre or so.

I'm not sure if that's correct, it seems a bit wonky being at an angle, but also seems to fit correctly, so I don't know.

I did a test empty and just about managed to get it out. That was before I realised the front pipe would be exactly in the place where my hand would be... So it seems like a headlight out job to empty

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Hey,

I'm fitting my Vudu catch can today (you prompted me to get one!).

Does yours sit at a slight angle on the engine mount bracket? The bottom angles towards the alternator pulley, though clears it by half a centimetre or so.

I'm not sure if that's correct, it seems a bit wonky being at an angle, but also seems to fit correctly, so I don't know.

I did a test empty and just about managed to get it out. That was before I realised the front pipe would be exactly in the place where my hand would be... So it seems like a headlight out job to empty
Hey up,

Yes, mine was at a slight angle like yours, before connecting the hoses I got hold of the catch can and very carefully bent it away from the pulley, must admit it took quite a bit of force to move it away, I only moved it away by a few millimetres.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tire Bicycle part

Even though I moved mine away that bracket is up to the job so should be ok in it's original position.

Also I made sure the hose/fixing (arrowed below) was angled up away and not touching the alternator once tightened up.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive design

Yes, headlight out when emptying.

121 - 140 of 175 Posts