Fiesta ST Forums banner
141 - 160 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Alright, thanks, I'll nip up the dip stick. I hadn't thought to do that.

I tried for the life of me to angle the hose off the alternator, but it always just settled back onto to it. I think I'm just going to have to keep an eye on it and if it wears out after a few years, I'll just have to replace it.

No amount of playing around would get it to sit differently. I was also concerned that trying to change the angle too much would out pressure on the manifold clip, which is only plastic.

I suppose my last concern is that a lot of vibration is transmitted through the can, probably in part as a result of the upgraded engine mounts.

I'll need to keep an eye on the can itself and ensure it doesn't undo itself and drop it's oily gets all over the aux belt!

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Alright, thanks, I'll nip up the dip stick. I hadn't thought to do that.

I tried for the life of me to angle the hose off the alternator, but it always just settled back onto to it. I think I'm just going to have to keep an eye on it and if it wears out after a few years, I'll just have to replace it.

No amount of playing around would get it to sit differently. I was also concerned that trying to change the angle too much would out pressure on the manifold clip, which is only plastic.

I suppose my last concern is that a lot of vibration is transmitted through the can, probably in part as a result of the upgraded engine mounts.

I'll need to keep an eye on the can itself and ensure it doesn't undo itself and drop it's oily gets all over the aux belt!
I tried for the life of me to angle the hose off the alternator, but it always just settled back onto to it
I put a thick screwdriver blade between the hose connector and alternator, nipped up the connector then removed the screwdriver.

Checked mine after a few hundred miles and all was ok, will be checking again next month when I service the car but I know what you mean re. concerns, we fit something to help minimize carbon build up, oil in the intercooler and boost pipes etc then worry about connectors coming loose and things falling off lol.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Checked mine after a few hundred miles and all was ok, will be checking again next month when I service the car but I know what you mean re. concerns, we fit something to help minimize carbon build up, oil in the intercooler and boost pipes etc then worry about connectors coming loose and things falling off lol.
Same reason I've been too scared to run an oil cooler 👀

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
@Darran I was down at H-Sport today getting some work down and I mentioned about having fitted a Vudu catch can. I was advised that the oil that's normally circulated in the PCV system is also used as part of lubrication of the diverter valve. So, by removing said oil, you need to then manually lube up the brass piston or you risk it seizing.

Just an FYI in case you want to add it to your servicing list.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
@alex98uk you don’t need to worry about lube on the DV , you still have the secconday breather pipe from the rocker cover to the crossover pipe , that will give a fine mist of oil too

ikno airtec do a catch can for this hose too , but imo it’a overkill for this engine 👍🏻
Ah ok, yeah I remember now. The Mountune catch can system also had one for that hose too.

Thanks for the reminder.

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 · (Edited)
@Darran I was down at H-Sport today getting some work down and I mentioned about having fitted a Vudu catch can. I was advised that the oil that's normally circulated in the PCV system is also used as part of lubrication of the diverter valve. So, by removing said oil, you need to then manually lube up the brass piston or you risk it seizing.

Just an FYI in case you want to add it to your servicing list.
Thanks Alex for heads up, my car doesn't have the stock DV housing, it's got a Turbosmart Plumb-back DV mounted externally but I've no idea if this relies on oil misting for lubrication, I need to do a bit of homework on this DV and also the TS Actuator mine's got, maybe they'll need attention in a couple of years time. I saw your other post about visiting H-Sport, good to know your cars in good health, heard nothing but good stuff re: Connor and Jordan.

Cheers @Jamie1234 for info, by the way mate I finally got around to getting a bore scope, not used it yet well apart from poking it in my earhole and chasing our lass around the house with it :ROFLMAO:, might have a gander around the valves and cylinders tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Connor at H-Sport said since they got their borescope, they have seen a rather scary amount of Fiestas with cracked cylinder walls. They all seem to have in common that they have been overheated, quite easily done on track and driving hard on hot/humid days.

As I mentioned in the other thread, Spark Plug Steve was down at the same time as me picking up an engine for his brother's car which had a cracked cylinder wall.

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 · (Edited)
Six month home service, only done 3k miles since the last one so just oil and oil filter this time. Planned on checking the plugs and having a play with the bore scope but got side tracked so might have a go this weekend.
Eyewear Tool Glove Material property Gas

First time I've used the Millers LSPI stuff, I know it'll be 99% placebo but engine does seem to sound quieter, it's ilsac GF6 which apparently is the latest spec, this one's becoming a popular oil for the ST180's and apparently Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) can be a problem.

When buying in 20ltrs it works out at £15 an oil change so nearly half price compared to Castrol at nearly £30 for 5ltr.
Light Product Green Grass Gas

The outgoing oil looked fresh, thought about saving it for my daily.
Tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Always a relief then the magnetic sump plug comes out clear of chunks of metal.
Water Wood Musical instrument Tree Floor

While having what's turning out to be a regularly monthly Cadwell Park Brew visit I noticed a suspicious bloke hanging around my car! anyone recognise him? apparently he drives a rough sounding primer coloured ST lol.
Plant Sky Tree Grass Leisure

Seriously though good to meet up with you @Dave28 , 4 hours of fiesta waffle flew by, your ST200 is absolutely mint, congrats.

Finally got a radiator, was undecided whether to go airtec or double the price Pro Alloy then out of the blue @alex98uk found me this (well he found me two but won't bore with the details).
Tire Shipping box Packing materials Vehicle Hood

Rectangle Wood Wall Material property Tints and shades

Rectangle Font Wood Electric blue Machine

Thanks again Alex for your help, much appreciated.

re cooling, I plan on getting the thermostat changed to either colder 82c thermostat which Ford use in their Coolant recall or something like the mishimoto 70c offering, prefer the the 82c Ford part but need to find out if this one has a different part # to the old 97c thermostat.

edit part number for the Ford 82c thermostat is: 2184696

·
Registered
ST200, More power incoming :D
1,246 Posts
Hahahaha not my good side in the picture that’s for sure. Cadwell was brilliant, will have to do it again.
Another awesome update to your car mate, that rad should keep your car nice and cool.

The car is a credit to you and looks brilliant in the flesh especially those seats.

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Hahahaha not my good side in the picture that’s for sure. Cadwell was brilliant, will have to do it again.
Another awesome update to your car mate, that rad should keep your car nice and cool.

The car is a credit to you and looks brilliant in the flesh especially those seats.
Cheers mate.

I do have a mishimoto cooler thermostat in the box that I never go round to fitting … if your interested mate

be a shame to do the radiator and not match it with mountune coolant hoses too ;)
Cool cheers, I'll probably have that thermostat off you, let me do a bit of digging re. the Ford 82C part and I'll let you know.

Yeah coolant hoses are on my parts list but not seen Mountune ST180 coolant hoses listed for a while, I'll probably go with the Pro Hose kit but they don't include the tiny coolant hose which Mountune did, I know Pumaspeeds coolant hoses are nearly half the price but I'm a bit weary of their stuff.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Glad you got the rad. You saved me buying it to hoard, since they are rare 👀

I have the Mountune ST200 coolant hoses on mine. I suspect Mountune no longer sell them since they don't sell the rad. I'm not convinced they do anything anyway, it's more a visual upgrade. My brother's Airtec rad is installed with the stock pipework.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think I have that same boroscope you have :D, I initially bought the wireless one but had so many connection issues I ended up with the same model as you. Not used it on the car however.

Yes mountune still seem to have stock issues, weirdly the cat and exhaust are now in stock but things like the rad, hoses and LSD are not on the site right now :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
141 - 160 of 184 Posts