Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
How much boost am I getting? What are my intake temperatures? What top speed am I hitting down the back straight at Bedford/? Can I exceed 1g through turn 7?

All these and more can be answered if you're prepared to try a little data logging so here follows a basic no frills guide to logging what you want, what you'll need to do so, and what you can do with the data afterwards.

First off you will need to acquire one of these

Computer data storage Rectangle Memory card Flash memory Circuit component

along with this

Speedometer Odometer Light Trip computer Gauge

The OBD bluetooth adapters are freely available via a number of sellers on eBay. The large blue one was my first one and is too big to fit in the socket compartment with the door closed on a mk7. If you value the skin on your right shin you'll get a slimline/low profile one like the smaller white one for which I paid circa £15 delivered.

I personally leave the white one connected to my car 24/7. There is a red LED illuminated when it is plugged in and that's it; with my car usage (25 miles twice daily at a minimum) I've never had a problem with any battery/charge issues. This does NOT mean you won't although I've yet to hear of someone's battery dying from an idle OBD adapter draining the battery.

The Torque Lite/Pro app is available in the Play store, Lite is free, contains adverts, and has limited functionality, Pro is what I use so the guide below assumes you also have Pro. Lite may also have this functionality but I've been using Pro for so long now I don't recall how Lite is limited. For the sake of a few pounds I think it's well worth it.

Now we move onto how you go about setting and getting it to log your data (all below assumes you already have your phone and the app set to recognise the OBD adapter and connect to the car's ECU);

From the home screen pressing the cog wheel bottom left brings up the option of choosing a vehicle profile or going into the settings menu. Choose settings

Font Communication Device Screenshot Gadget Electronic device

then select 'Data Logging and Upload'

Font Screenshot Darkness Number Multimedia

choose 'Select what to log'

Font Technology Screenshot Darkness Multimedia

Until you add any PIDs (specific data streams) manually this screen will be blank and initiating data logging will record a basic standard data set (time, date, gps coordinates, gps speed, bearing, and accelerometer).

Using the menu top right, 'Add PID to Log'

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Menu Multimedia

This will now bring you a lengthy list of all data streams Torque can work with. They're shaded according to if they're something Torque calculates itself based on GPS data (dark green), are not live (black), or are actual live direct data streams from the car's ECU (bright green). These you'll need to choose and experiment with based on what you want to achieve from your logging.

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Electronic device Multimedia

Below are all the additional PIDs I have mine set to log

Product Font Communication Device Screenshot Mobile device

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Multimedia Software

With all of that done you're ready to start recording some data! Back to the home screen you need to select 'Realtime Information'

Speedometer Odometer Light Trip computer Gauge

which will bring you to one of many live screens showing live gauges and readouts. Additional screens can be added, themes can be set, and almost any type of gauge, graph, dial etc. can be manually added, sized and set. For data logging you need to ignore all of these and press the cog wheel bottom left

Speedometer Trip computer Light Tachometer Gauge

Font Gadget Terrestrial plant Screenshot Technology

If you want to log using the accelerometer you will need to calibrate it first...this resets the the sensors so on a 'g-circle' it'll be reading dead centre. If you do this for the data to be accurate it's vital you do not move your phone once calibrated. I've used a spare phone case stuck/velcroed/screwed onto dashboards in the past. Bear this in mind when choosing a mounting method as, once calibrated, you'll need to use the screen to commence logging...which is very tricky if it's mounted out of sight or reach.

Speedometer Trip computer Plant Light Tachometer

With that done you're free to start logging from the live screen menu above. When you're finished, bring the menu up again from the live screen and simply select 'Stop logging'.

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Gadget Technology

Everything that's been read and logged is now available to you from the live screen menu. Select 'Email Logs' and choose which data file you want to share

Communication Device Font Gadget Mobile device Screenshot

choose what format you want to export the data in (I use CSV as any spreadsheet can read it and it also works with my video software)

Light Product Gauge Font Speedometer

then tell it how/where to send it.

Font Electronic device Technology Rectangle Screenshot

That's it!

What can you do with the data?

Excel and some data manipulation skills help as some of the readings don't immediately translate into usable data. An example is the throttle pedal position %...for some reason it records from zero to a maximum of around 65% so I simply recalculate that column to be from zero to 100%.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Slope Technology

With the data trimmed and edited it's then ripe and ready to be imported into RaceRender2 (video suite I use that overlays gauges/data).

There's not much I've not tried over the few years that I've been playing about with Torque so if anyone has any questions at all please fire away and I'll do my best to help.

Lastly, here's a few examples of what you can do with it;

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zhDfKtpHzk[/media]

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrDe96-HJyo

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks for this, Torque is one of the main reasons i'm moving from Apple to Android within the next couple of weeks.

·
Super Moderator
23,775 Posts
Topic pinned...although there are only 4 in this section as you lot are obsessed with posting everything in "Mk7 Discussion" :lol:

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Who do I thank for having eagle eyes and doing a cheeky edit on the first line? Very harsh LOL

Glad this is of some use to you all - if you get stuck, post in here and I'm sure we'll un-stick you.

·
Super Moderator
23,775 Posts
Who do I thank for having eagle eyes and doing a cheeky edit on the first line? Very harsh LOL

Glad this is of some use to you all - if you get stuck, post in here and I'm sure we'll un-stick you.
:shifty:

You know the rules, Mark :nice:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Evening Mark,

How many blocks have you found you can log simultaneously?

I attempted to log

• RPM
  • AFR Calculated,
  • AFR Measured
  • Fuel rail pressure
  • Ambient temp
  • IAT
  • EGT1
  • EGT2
  • Timing advance
  • intake manifold pressure

From that list the columns for rail pressure, IAT, EGT1/2 were completely blank. Have to say the refresh rate wasnt very good either; only 17 data points taken between 1400-5530rpm.

Is this just a case of too many blocks requested causing some not to be measured and the refresh rate too low.

If so, how many blocks do you recommend logging per run to ensure the frefresh rate is maximised?

Also I take it that the blocks I have requested above are capable of being logged with torque on the FiST?

Edit i presume the boost is absolute pressure and not gauge

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Evening Mark,

How many blocks have you found you can log simultaneously?

I attempted to log

• RPM
  • AFR Calculated,
  • AFR Measured
  • Fuel rail pressure
  • Ambient temp
  • IAT
  • EGT1
  • EGT2
  • Timing advance
  • intake manifold pressure

From that list the columns for rail pressure, IAT, EGT1/2 were completely blank. Have to say the refresh rate wasnt very good either; only 17 data points taken between 1400-5530rpm.

Is this just a case of too many blocks requested causing some not to be measured and the refresh rate too low.

If so, how many blocks do you recommend logging per run to ensure the frefresh rate is maximised?

Also I take it that the blocks I have requested above are capable of being logged with torque on the FiST?
I honestly couldn't say!

On an older phone (Galaxy S) and with the older, larger, and no doubt slower to refresh, OBD transmitter I used to struggle to get it to read much more than 2 or 3 times per second.

Now with the new slimline transmitter and running it on a Nexus 5 it regularly records 6-8 readings per second...I have it set at 0.1s intervals but often I get 2 or 3 consecutive readings with the same values.

As for the streams you're trying to log...did you set them up in Torque when connected to the car and with the engine running? If not I suggest you do as that's the only way you'll get to see which are live and available. If you have I'm not sure why it's not working for you.

Let me know if not and I'll try and log the same set and report back.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I set it all up with the car running. Im running a Samsung S5 and one the little white one of these http://www.fiestastoc.com/forums/uploads/monthly_12_2014/post-31741-0-01965300-1417643492_thumb.jpg

Do you think the fact its trying to log GPS readings and speed etc that it is slowing the rate down?
It could well be. I do run it without GPS data unless I'm on track as it just chews through the battery (I tend to use just the OBD speed figures). Give that a try and see if it improves things. if not I will give your data set a try.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep. I get readings from -0.78 up to +1.44 bar which I understand to be spot on. Can't comment about PSI as I've never tried it.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Which log are you using for boost? I prefer to work in Bar
Turbo Boost & Vacuum Gauge (bar)

If you look at the image of my Excel workings in my OP you can see the data in column W...I manually put in the MIN and MAX formulae in the top two rows as I always review the data for anything erroneous.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts