Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sup

The introduction of the Audi R8 saw the LED running lights within the headlamp, more Audi's followed this and they look quite cool.

As a result of this cool look many chavs retro fitted LED strips cable tied to their cars. FAIL!

Lately though I have noticed more and more cars having them fitted as standard, to name a few;

Mercedes Benz C Class & E Class
Range Rover
Land rover
Citroen C3
New Mondeo
New Focus
New Skoda's
Porsche Carrera, Cayenne Etc
New Passat + Others

Does anyone know if this is going to be a standard thing for all new cars to have i.e. a european regulation (like the Volvo in Sweden). Or if it's 'fashion'.

Would be interesting to know.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
The reason for this is that you can see it very clearly in the daylight making it easier to see the car coming and thus causing less accidents.

This is why you are starting to see more newer cars coming with it standard.

Westy

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know what you mean but as Jack has said I also do not struggle to see a white range rover coming my way in daylight

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I know what you mean but as Jack has said I also do not struggle to see a white range rover coming my way in daylight
Yes haha
Cant miss one of them roaring up behind you! lol

They take it as a safety feature really as the LED are so bright making it easier to see when coming from a distance when either walking or driving.

But they do make the car look stand out tho

Westy

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's silly. It's broad daylight... you don't need any extra light when you have the brightest star in our solar system beaming down on us...

There's a kit to fill in the plastic space under the RS lights and it looks nice but it's pricey

http://www.teamtorqu...ing-lights.html

They do look nice on the RS! Very pricey though as you say.

Have you seen anyone literally strap that tube lighting you see at christmas to their burgundy cars yet? Its hilarious

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
As said It's going to become a new regulation and by law every new car will have to have them.

Not all of them are bright. though,I work for VW and the new polo one's Etc are visible but dont burn your retina

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The only thing is, not all of them will be LED lights. The unfair thing is, this is now going to be a legal requirement but apparently it uses up more petrol...Just something i read earlier.

Seems really mean to me, seeing as the petrol here is probably the most expensive you'll find it anywhere and even if it's 1p over a matter of miles lost due to the lights being on. Thats 1p less towards my journey distance....Sorry, sounds scroogy but It all adds up after a year or so...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Its a bit silly though, once every car has them on the road, we will get used to them and they wont draw our attention to the cars. They will simply blend in.

I only notice the odd Audi/Citroen with them on because they are a rare-ish sight. It doesn't mean I'm less likely to crash into it. Even now though I'm far less "Oooh pretty" and more "Meh" when I see them now because they aren't new to me anymore.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
They have nothing to do with using my petrol unless there's a secret generated In the boot powering them ^
It will have an affect although a negligible one. Lights use power (leds not much but they do use power)
Power comes from the battery
the battery is charged from the alternator unless anyone has a KERS system installed.
the alternator places a load on the engine to recharge
hence extra petrol is used to run them.

In example most people notice MPG goes down when using Air con - Air con is electrically powered but uses extra petrol to be powered.

ok I will
now..

·
Registered
368 Posts
surely they dont drain that much power, their only LEDs. You wont even notice a change in mpg,

Their going to be standard on the new ST iirc

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
It will have an affect although a negligible one. Lights use power (leds not much but they do use power)
Power comes from the battery
the battery is charged from the alternator unless anyone has a KERS system installed.
the alternator places a load on the engine to recharge
hence extra petrol is used to run them.

In example most people notice MPG goes down when using Air con - Air con is electrically powered but uses extra petrol to be powered.
Air con in the ST isn't electrically powered. When you press your air con switch the clutch in the pump engages, connecting the compressor to the aux belt, creating a load on the engine which causes it to use more fuel to keep the revs where they were before.

LEDs and fuel consumption, really not something to worry about imo.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Not all Daytime running lights are LEDs, Volvo had the first Daytime Running Lights and they were just sidelights/headlights that came on as soon as the engine was started.

Audi re-designed them first with the LED to save on energy consumption and it's been adapted by other brands. It may be the way to go but I cant see every new car that is going to be brought out including LEDs. I think a lot of brands will just have auto lights when the engine is switched on.

Jack

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
daytime running headlamps? that would be a bit meh, not only for the energy used but you'd go through bulbs a lot quicker than you do now.. but I can't believe they'd make headlamps come on with the engine, sidelights maybe.. even so, most sidelights are w5w or equiv rating, so like 10W of energy used, ffs, that's like 0.01 of a horsepower or something stupid. LED's I should imagine use around the same or slightly less than that amount. Of course, energy isn't created for free, there HAS to be an effect and thus fuel burned to provide that 10W but as already said it's so negligible it isn't worth worrying about.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts