Fiesta ST Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
hey everybody

i have just recently purchased my first st but i now want it to look like how it goes, my question is what is the best procedure for cleaning the paint work up to a mirror shine because the paint work looks like crap at the moment i dont think it has ever been cleaned or polished before :(

many thanks in advance

adam

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
-wash it spotless with normal wash and wax
-clay bar all over using washing up liquid and warm water (you can feel it become as smooth as glass)
-wax it all over doing a thorough job (i use meguiars but they are all the same, and none of them last more than a few weeks unless you use a conserver!
-i protect it after every wash with diamondbrite conserver in a spray bottle type thing, which leaves a nice residue (which you cant see, all i do is wash, whilst its wet spray it on diluted and wash it back off thenn dry it) that makes the dirt easily come off every wash INCLUDING THE ALLOYS, PIECE OF

end of!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
-clay bar all over using washing up liquid and warm water (you can feel it become as smooth as glass)
-wax it all over doing a thorough job (i use meguiars but they are all the same, and none of them last more than a few weeks unless you use a conserver!
-i protect it after every wash with diamondbrite conserver in a spray bottle type thing, which leaves a nice residue (which you cant see, all i do is wash, whilst its wet spray it on diluted and wash it back off thenn dry it) that makes the dirt easily come off every wash INCLUDING THE ALLOYS, PIECE OF

end of!
many thanks i will get this done monday or tuesday and see how it goes :D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
' />
end of!
i mite try this with mine next time i clean in.

Where is cheapest place to buy the claybar and meguairs wax from?

Matt

·
Registered
244 Posts
do not do not use washing up liquid on your car..... may as well go to the kosavans and let them drop the mitt and then ove ryour car....

washing up liquid leaves streaks and creates more work and worse part it contains abrasions so you end up with more swirls and marks then you started with...

check my thread on the detail enhancement i have done on a p.b st.... or my other threads for that matter..

pre wash using apc/bug and tar squash

wash with mitt 2 bucket method and gritt gaurd

dry with drying towel

clay the car using a bottle of water or detailer

wash the car again

hand polish with which ever you choose

use some sealent or wax to enhance the gloss

if sealent let it cure for about 30 mins if wax then up to 1 hour.

cheers

·
Registered
244 Posts
Washing-up liquid is a powerful cleaner and degreaser, but the problem with it is that it contains Sodium Chloride (salt) which is used to add to the viscosity. It may also contain amonia.Salt makes water a better conductor of electricity and because the process of oxidization is an electrical process, the addition of salt to your car's bodywork speeds up this process. Oxidization is bad for both your paintwork and metalwork.

Washing-up liquid may also contain other chemicals such as solvents, surfactants, colourings and preservatives which may be fine for your dishes and hands, but may not be so good for your car.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do not do not use washing up liquid on your car..... may as well go to the kosavans and let them drop the mitt and then ove ryour car....

washing up liquid leaves streaks and creates more work and worse part it contains abrasions so you end up with more swirls and marks then you started with...

check my thread on the detail enhancement i have done on a p.b st.... or my other threads for that matter..

dry with drying towel

wash the car again

cheers
many thanks pal and what do u mean by let the wax cure do u just mean let it sit on the paintwork before buffing it off or do u mean before I drive the car ?

cheers sorry to be a pain just I'm new to all this detailing stuff

·
Registered
480 Posts

dry with drying towel

wash the car again

cheers
many thanks pal and what do u mean by let the wax cure do u just mean let it sit on the paintwork before buffing it off or do u mean before I drive the car ?

cheers sorry to be a pain just I'm new to all this detailing stuff
[/quote]

depends if its a soft wax, hard wax or paste wax!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Always found all types come off ok unless there cheap .
Top tip . When applying wax put on with your hands as the heat from your gands will ensure more and better coverage.. just rub bits in your hand and it goes on better than a applicater. But don't try and wash your hands after water will just run iff your hands lol . Use a towel n rub it off.
Ta

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Washing-up liquid is a powerful cleaner and degreaser, but the problem with it is that it contains Sodium Chloride (salt) which is used to add to the viscosity. It may also contain amonia.Salt makes water a better conductor of electricity and because the process of oxidization is an electrical process, the addition of salt to your car's bodywork speeds up this process. Oxidization is bad for both your paintwork and metalwork.

Washing-up liquid may also contain other chemicals such as solvents, surfactants, colourings and preservatives which may be fine for your dishes and hands, but may not be so good for your car.
This may be the case but im sure it cant be any worse than when they use salt on the road when its winter? :S
granted he doesnt need to use washing up liquid he can use anything soapy, i just think washing up liquid is a better lubricator, if you can wash your dishes at home with it, im sure it wont do a fat lot of harm to your paintwork apart from get all the crap off, considering he will wash it off and then protect it with the wax .

what abrasions does it contain then? feels nice and smooth to me ?
unlike the polishes etc of this world
, oh and no matter what you use you will ALWAYS have swirl marks turn up, at the end of the day your using a sponge/mitt, whatever your always going to rub dirt into your paintwork because there is no such thing as a good handsfree wash! no matter what, but people will fool you into thinking they dont have them, which are the people who wax/polish their car often creating a false impression they dont have any, when really the grooves are filled in with their wax/polish product :D.
best way to avoid them is remove as much dirt as you can before hand preferably with a jet wash! and use a nice clean mitt (they are softer) to get the remaining small particles of dirt off

·
Registered
244 Posts
andy very fair comment...
im quite anal on what i use but thats my personnel preference. but yeh i understand what you mean, but polish contains abrastions for a reason lol.

£50 you crazy proff ppl charge about 400-450 per car

ill be happy to do it haha

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
many thanks all for the advice it will have to be next weekend before i can do owt nah as i been called back in to work nah :( bad times eh

1 - 20 of 25 Posts