Fiesta ST Forums banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Mk7 ST-3
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Had the week off last week to use up some holidays and keep HR quiet, figured I'd get the growing pile of stuff fitted to the car while I was off.
Some went as expected, most did not..

I also realise that I didn't take as many photos as I thought, I imagine that was due to the building anger over the week.

I started by trying to will all the parts onto the car, but they wouldn't install themselves no matter how intensely I stared.

Shipping box Material property Packing materials Packaging and labeling Carton

Pro Alloy radiator and curved intercooler, Milltek downpipe with sports cat, Eibach lowering springs, 82c thermostat, expansion bottle and cap, cold side boost pipe, GFB DV+ VTA, rear poly bushes.

Got to work stripping the car down, many screws and bolts.
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Gas

Got to work getting to the thermostat, this was the job I was dreading the most, given all the things that had to come off to get to it. As it turns out, this was one of the ones that went well.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Automotive exterior
Tire Automotive tire Tread Fender Synthetic rubber

New thermostat installed
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bicycle part Nut

Buttoning it all back up
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Sports gear Tread

The tensioner for the aux belt pulley was a bit of a pig to get back on but got there eventually.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mk7 ST-3
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
As you can see, the crash bar was looking a bit worse for wear, so gave that a lick of paint
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

While waiting for that to dry, I got to fitting the new expansion bottle and cold side boost pipe
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Car
Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork Bicycle saddle Bicycle tire

Radiator was next
Grille Hood Automotive exterior Mesh Gas
Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Flooring Hardwood

Also went easy. Bit of faf needing an extra arm or two for sitting it in the crash bar bracket and holding it all up while I bolted it back on, but got there in the end.
Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Intercooler was next, bit of a size difference.
Light Grille Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Hood Gas
Grille Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

This is where pictures get sketchy.
Before I fitted the front of the car back on, I decided to try get the downpipe fitted, seeing as I was able to get in there a bit easier.
Mangled the exhaust heatshield trying to get it off, then tried opening the three bolts on the turbo.
The one you can't really see opened fine, the other two started to round, so wasn't fitting that.

Onto the lowering springs next, and my hatred of spring clamps.
No pics of the process here as I nearly flung the clamps in the bin at one point, but eventually got them changed.
In the process, I discovered the front drop links were shot, so ordered new ones from Ford and fitted, but not before having to cut the nuts off the bottom due to them refusing to open. Stress.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Never grumble about a week off work, there'll come a point when you have the rest of your life off so we all need regular practice.

I always have a little chuckle to myself when this thread comes up... vying as it is for the most inaccurately titled thread on the forum with @alan ST Bentley's 'hi, I'm new here' (now 18 months and counting) 🤣

Keep up the good work👍🏻

·
Registered
Mk7 ST-3
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Before I put the wheels back on I tried fitting the GFB DV+ VTA, but I couldn't get a decent enough angle on the bolts and didn't want to half open them and damage them, so left it alone for now.

Filled the car with coolant and started bleeding the system. In the process of refitting the bleed screw cap, I managed to strip the threads..
Coolant back out, got a tap and die set to thread the inside of it and bodged a screw covered in threadlock into it for now.
Filled and bled it again and the screw is holding, even with the system pressurised. I'm still not 100% sure I trust it, gonna bring it for a spin in the next day or two and see if anything starts weeping. If it does, I'll refit the standard rad until I get something sorted with the Pro Alloy one.

Onto the back of the car to fit the bushings and remaining lowering springs, handy enough jobs I thought.

The bushings.. I almost threw a match on the car.
To start, the bracket bolts came out handy, great.
The ones through the bushings; one nut came off fine, the other nut got to the very end and then welded itself to the bolt.
After a lot of swearing, copious amounts of WD-40 and two different impact guns, the sawzall came out again and I cut it off. Ended up getting two new nuts as even trying to drill out what was left of the bolt it wouldn't come out.

The bushings themselves were also a pain, and fairly knackered, I pulled the metal tube out of each with very little effort.
Water Eye Automotive tire Wheel Wood

Smacking them with a hammer wasn't doing much bar moving the rear beam, and drilling was taking an age. Trusty sawzall to the rescue again.
Cut the main bit of the bushing out, sliced into the plastic outer and out they popped, finally.
In comparison, the poly bushes slid most of the way in by hand, with a few taps to get them the final bit of the way.
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Tread Wheel

Have it all back together and gobs of copper grease on every nut, bolt and screw that came off the car.

Last thing I have left is the grill mod for more air, that should be sorted tomorrow or Saturday all going well.

·
Registered
Mk7 ST-3
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Never grumble about a week off work, there'll come a point when you have the rest of your life off so we all need regular practice.

I always have a little chuckle to myself when this thread comes up... vying as it is for the most inaccurately titled thread on the forum with @alan ST Bentley's 'hi, I'm new here' (now 18 months and counting) 🤣

Keep up the good work👍🏻
The title is what I said to the missus when I purchased the car, and it was true, for a month or so ha.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
@Tazzz nice thread up date!

I tried fitting the GFB DV+ VTA, but I couldn't get a decent enough angle on the bolts and didn't want to
half open them and damage them, so left it alone for now.
Have you seen Spark Plug Steve's video where is uses a few thin socket extensions to access the DV bolts.

Edit, here's the video:

·
Registered
Mk7 ST-3
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
His vids are usually my go to guides ha.
I did manage to get at them at one point, but didn't feel like the Allen key was sitting far enough into the bolts, and with other ones rounding easily, turbo and drop links, I decided not to tempt fate. Might have another crack at them with a calmer head ha.

·
Registered
Mk7 ST-3
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Last part of the work completed today, and one of the more nerve racking; Getting the grinder at the grill to allow more air at the intercooler.
Took a while and I think I swallowed half the plastic, but it's done and looks good. The intercooler looks the biz as well.
Tire Plant Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Road surface Asphalt Mesh Bumper Wall
Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Grille

Took it for a drive then to see if my bleed screw bodge has worked; so far so good. No leakage, I did start worrying when the temp went up pretty quickly, but it hit 88c and just sat there, dropping down to 83-84 occasionally.

There's also much less rattling and clunking with the new bushings, drop links and springs, so that's always nice.

Next step, providing the coolant stays put after a longer drive later, it'll be getting washed as it is absolutely manky. The roads around here being various shades of brown aren't helping.

·
Registered
568 Posts
His vids are usually my go to guides ha.
I did manage to get at them at one point, but didn't feel like the Allen key was sitting far enough into the bolts, and with other ones rounding easily, turbo and drop links, I decided not to tempt fate. Might have another crack at them with a calmer head ha.
While chasing an issue that kept throwing my mk7 into limp mode a few years ago, I became a pro at removing and refitting my GFB DV+. By the end of it, I could have it off and back on again in about 15 minutes. The first time must have taken nearly 2 hours trying to figure out access to the three bolts. In the end, I figured out all three bolts could be accessed from the same point using the combination in the picture below. I took a picture just in case I had to do it again. The sweet spot I found was through a notch in the chassis to the right of the suspension, if working on the driver's side.

·
Registered
Mk7 ST-3
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Yeah I know the notch you speak of.
I could get at the bolts, it just felt like the allen key wasn't in far enough, given the headache I had with others rounding themselves, I just left it alone. The increasing anger wasn't helping so leaving it be was the wise choice ha. I'll have at it again, possibly this weekend or next and see how I get on.

·
Registered
Mk7 ST-3
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Well, yesterday was an interesting day.

Went to get it tracked after fitting the springs and bushes, also to check the bleed screw bodge was holding up.

Just down the road from the place I was getting it tracked I heard a small pop and the temp started to drop quickly. Pulled in at the tyre centre and turned the car off, steam from the front.
Popped the bonnet and coolant had been sprayed everywhere, lovely.

Called a friend to get it trailered home and left it alone as it was dark and raining.
Had a look this morning and the screw was still holding well, a pipe had decided to pop off the block.
Dragged the car into the shed and pulled the front off again as I couldn't get at the pipe from top or bottom.

Turns out, clever fella that I am, I missed one of the clips on the coolant pipes when putting everything back together, it's the one from the bottom of the rad to the block, it's in behind a few things so I must have looked and thought everything was all buttoned up.

Have it all back together now so will refill with coolant tomorrow and burp it, then see if any damage was done. I'm hoping it's alright as I twigged it pretty quickly thanks to the Lufi gauge.

Joys of cars.

·
Registered
Mk7 ST-3
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Still having issues with the car popping out of second gear, grinded a bit off the edge of the ECU cage to try stop it hitting it. Gonna pull the short shifter off as it's just annoying now.

I've had my eye on one of the Coolerworx shifters for a while, black Friday and payday is a bad combo. Think it should work out at the normal price after import duty etc after the black Friday discount, give or take a few Euro.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts