Fiesta ST Forums banner

Drive Modes - Normal, Sport, Track - What Do They Do?

6036 Views 44 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Jules59
Hi,

I've just bought an ST-2 a couple of days ago. Love it! My first ST. Just curious as to what changes the different drive modes do? Normal, Sport and Track. You Tube videos say different things about what they do. Some say the suspension changes, others say it doesn't? I know Sport adds some pops and bangs to the exhaust sound, and track turns off traction control, but is there any official guidance on exactly what changes? Steering feel for each mode? Suspension changes? Throttle response? Etc?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy
Reactions: 2
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
I'd say with the PP the car is a little more prone to pulling you about than without.
Reactions: 3
Clearly not the tyres contributing to torque steer if at correct pressure and alignment. Can’t say I’ve noticed excessive torque steer, certainly not to qualify as an unruly drive, but then I do have the performance pack fitted.

If the torque steer is bad then it might be worth getting all the front alignment/geometry checked.
If you have the performance pack, in track mode does it switch off torque vectoring? As you have the lsd doing the work
I find the car when in sport and track mode pretty difficult to control on acceleration on a B road say,the car just pulls and tugs away going up the gears my gearbox ain't the smoothest either bit notchy
Seat at its lowest setting is still too high
To be honest l prefer driving the 95 bhp 1-0 ecoboost Mk8 st-line we have as the gear change and seating position is better, slower yes but better to drive maybe its me as l dont like a manual box
I find the car when in sport and track mode pretty difficult to control on acceleration on a B road say,the car just pulls and tugs away going up the gears my gearbox ain't the smoothest either bit notchy
To be honest l prefer driving the 95 bhp 1-0 ecoboost Mk8 st-line we have as the gear change and seating position is better, slower yes but better to drive maybe its me as l dont like a manual box
Do you have the performance pack fitted to your car? The lsd will provide more punch to the wheel with the most grip but in turn makes it a bit twitchy and unpredictable. Just something you have to adjust to I believe
Reactions: 1
Not wanting to sound belittling or condescending, but sounds like you just need to adjust your driving style. The ST-Line appears to be able to just be pressed full throttle with no issues, whereas the ST needs you to actually drive it and adjust your inputs more accurately.
Do you have the performance pack fitted to your car? The lsd will provide more punch to the wheel with the most grip but in turn makes it a bit twitchy and unpredictable. Just something you have to adjust to I believe
Yeah it's got the performance pack unpredictable ? Sure , I just can't find a comfortable driving position as l am always stretching to change gears
Yeah it's got the performance pack unpredictable ? Sure , I just can't find a comfortable driving position as l am always stretching to change gears
Someone can correct me if I am wrong. But from what I have been told because it provides more torque to the tyre with the most grip it can be twitchy and be a little unpredictable on the steering, especially if the road is a little damp or icy. On the whole it isn't too bad and just lighten your footing and it should all be fine
If you’re stretching to change gears then you’re sat too far back, move your seat forward so you can reach the gear stick..
not long after getting mine i found the driving position and seat super uncomfortable. A few goes of adjusting the seat (which included raising it, which went against my usual 'low as you can go race car' setup. I know find it far more comfy.

I guess your height may limit your adjustability tho!
not long after getting mine i found the driving position and seat super uncomfortable. A few goes of adjusting the seat (which included raising it, which went against my usual 'low as you can go race car' setup. I know find it far more comfy.

I guess your height may limit your adjustability tho!
When l jump into our 2018 st line Mk8 the seating position is lower our than in the ST and the gear stick requires no reaching. I've tried a lot adjustments....its like l am slightly reaching down to change gear not reaching out and the seat is at its lowest with very little tilt used
I think the ST 's seat is higher and maybe the gear lever is slightly shorter than in the Mk8 st line?l am only 6ft as I've said before the gearbox feels notchy sadly l really don't see us keeping it longer than a year l had a TTS Vorspung on 20's with magnetic dumpers it was firm in all settings but the fiesta is even firmer cracking looking car though just cant gel with its driving characteristics
yep, as soon as I picked my ST up i thought " that gearlever is a wee bit too far forwards and a bit 'low' , I got the seat base in correct position for the pedals, the steering wheel in right place for 'reach' and the seat backrest quite upright really. I get in the Yaris and the gearlever is perfect position, mounted a bit higher and a bit further back so I dont need what feels like a straight arm to put it into first or third. I've got used to it now though. Second gear synchro was quite notchy felt like you were just crunching it a bit and thats with me taking it real easy and changing gear smoothly and not rushing the upchange to 2nd, its got a bit better but I still consciously take care every time I change up 1-2, its better changing down 3-2 thats fine. I havnt had the guts to rush a full bore 1-2 change yet !!
See less See more
When l jump into our 2018 st line Mk8 the seating position is lower our than in the ST and the gear stick requires no reaching. I've tried a lot adjustments....its like l am slightly reaching down to change gear not reaching out and the seat is at its lowest with very little tilt used
I think the ST 's seat is higher and maybe the gear lever is slightly shorter than in the Mk8 st line?l am only 6ft as I've said before the gearbox feels notchy sadly l really don't see us keeping it longer than a year l had a TTS Vorspung on 20's with magnetic dumpers it was firm in all settings but the fiesta is even firmer cracking looking car though just cant gel with its driving characteristics
I am also 6ft and the problem I find is the arm rest sits a little too far back. So when I am chill driving I can get what you mean. But as soon as I come to a B road all is well
I raised a very bemused eyebrow when I first read this and its kinda eaten away at me ever since.

Did you actually test drive this car?

All these things you have issues with seem to me would have been apparent from a proper test drive. Different cars float different boats, that's fine. But the time to walk away would surely have been after a test drive, not in a years time.

Forgive me, its been talked about on other threads too since but was it yourself that said to paraphrase 'great looking car but'... we don't look at cars when we're driving them, we drive them.

And bigging up the ST line by way of comparison?... I think that statement (whether it was or wasn't yours) sums everything up. My personal view on the ST Line range is its a 'pig in lipstick' thing, all styling no substance. Buy it sounds to me like that's exactly what you want.

Because I love a good moan up but not liking the acceleration?, the handling?... on a performance hot hatch?... what did you think you were buying?

Its got a slip diff and all manner of cornering and handling aids, you just input appropriately for the tools in the box.

@AMc might have questioned if you need to change the driving style, I question if you should ever have bought it in the first place.

Sorry, but I just don't get it.
See less See more
I raised a very bemused eyebrow when I first read this and its kinda eaten away at me ever since.

All these things you have issues with seem to me would have been apparent from a proper test drive. Different cars float different boats, that's fine. But the time to walk away would surely have been after a test drive, not in a years time.

Forgive me, its been talked about on other threads too since but was it yourself that said to paraphrase 'great looking car but'... we don't look at cars when we're driving them, we drive them.

And bigging up the ST line by way of comparison?... I think that statement (whether it was or wasn't yours) sums everything up. My personal view on the ST Line range is its a 'pig in lipstick' thing, all styling no substance. Buy it sounds to me like that's exactly what you want.

Because I love a good moan up but not liking the acceleration?, the handling?... on a performance hot hatch?... what did you think you were buying?

Its got a slip diff and all manner of cornering and handling aids, you just input appropriately for the tools in the box.

@AMc might have questioned if you need to change the driving style, I question if you should ever have bought it in the first place.

Chrisfix has a good video on test driving cars. I know it is more to see if everything is working but he does touch upon comfort and driving feel. But you are right the test drive is very important.

Also, I believe there was a 140ps st-line which might be more up your street with the driving position and feel. @Jassyo06
The ST-Line appears to be able to just be pressed full throttle with no issues, whereas the ST needs you to actually drive it and adjust your inputs more accurately.
I think there's something in that. I had a 140 ST-Line for the last 5 years and you could pretty much chuck it into corners with impunity. The limiting factor was more the lack of lateral support in the seat than grip from the PS4s!

The ST does need " actively driving" a little more, particularly in Sports mode which gives you more adjustability when cornering.

Similarly you do need to be aware of the action of the LSD when booting it down an especially poor road, but that's the case with any LSD equipped FWD car in my experience. I still remember a "vigorous" test drive in an LSD-equipped R53 Cooper S which was very reluctant to go in a straight line when accelerating. The ST is much better than that!
My personal view on the ST Line range is its a 'pig in lipstick' thing, all styling no substance.
In fairness, it's a bit more than that as you do get different suspension as well as looks, unlike some other manufacturers "GT-Lines" or whatever. The 140 also has lower overall gearing than the 100/125 which makes it feel a bit more lively than just the extra 15ps might suggest.

I get what you mean though - I bought mine as it was the only way at the time to get more than 125ps (other than a Vignale - the ST not being available at that point), rather than for the looks. A lot of people do like the formula though.

I wonder if @Jassyo06 has considered a Polo GTI, which has a DSG box and is generally a more easy going drive than the ST while still having 200ps and decent performance.

And - to stay vaguely on topic - it does have various drive modes.😃

It's my wife's car to start with and at the time of ordering dealerships within a 25 miles radius of us didn't have a ST Demo as I've mentioned before its the wifes car and she loves the car and that's what matters most and she's happy l am on the other hand the bad cop in the relationship when it comes to cars as l have more experience of cars and at a price of almost £30k l think one can be allowed to nick pick that little more
In fairness, it's a bit more than that as you do get different suspension as well as looks, unlike some other manufacturers "GT-Lines" or whatever. The 140 also has lower overall gearing than the 100/125 which makes it feel a bit more lively than just the extra 15ps might suggest.

I get what you mean though - I bought mine as it was the only way at the time to get more than 125ps (other than a Vignale - the ST not being available at that point), rather than for the looks. A lot of people do like the formula though.

I wonder if @Jassyo06 has considered a Polo GTI, which has a DSG box and is generally a more easy going drive than the ST while still having 200ps and decent performance.

And - to stay vaguely on topic - it does have various drive modes.😃
Lol we did look at the Polo Gti last October but build dates came and went the usual, it was fully loaded and the dealership only ordered them in black gave up on the Gti in December then ordered a ST
This guy also has issues with the gearbox
I take your point with the gear lever positioning as I don't find it ideally placed on the Mk 8 either, and I'm well under 6ft. Seems a bit odd as we had 2 Mk 7s with no problem.

Annoyingly my wife has a SEAT Mii (VW Up clone) and the change on that is excellent.
21 - 40 of 45 Posts